Where have all the graduates gone? Internal cross-state migration of graduates in Germany 1984–2004
The present paper analyzes the out-migration of graduates to other German states or abroad based on the German Socio-Economic Panel (GSOEP). Applying duration analysis, it can be shown that, ten years after graduation, slightly more than seventy percent of the graduates still live in the state where they completed their studies. The parametric estimation model identifies personal characteristics that are highly correlated with out-migration and permanent residence respectively. The analysis confirms previous results that nonresident students exhibit a significantly higher emigration propensity than resident fellows.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 44 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.com/journal/168|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael C. Burda & Wolfgang Härdle & Marlene Müller & Axel Werwatz, 1998.
"Semiparametric analysis of German East-West migration intentions: facts and theory,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(5), pages 525-541.
- Burda, Michael C. & Härdle, Wolfgang & Müller, Marlene & Werwatz, Axel, 1997. "Semiparametric analysis of German East-West migration intentions: Facts and theory," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1998,3, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Andersson, Frederik & Konrad, Kai A., 2001.
"Globalization and human capital formation
[Globalisierung und Humankapitalinvestitionen]," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance FS IV 01-01, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Brian Cushing & Jacques Poot, 2003.
"Crossing boundaries and borders: Regional science advances in migration modelling,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Springer;Regional Science Association International, vol. 83(1), pages 317-338, October.
- Brian Cushing & Jacques Poot, 2003. "Crossing boundaries and borders: Regional science advances in migration modelling," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 83(1), pages 317-338, October.
- Stark, Oded & Wang, Yong, 2002.
"Inducing human capital formation: migration as a substitute for subsidies,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 29-46, October.
- Stark, Oded & Wang, Yong, 2001. "Inducing Human Capital Formation: Migration as a Substitute for Subsidies," Economics Series 100, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Poutvaara, Panu, 2001.
"Alternative tax constitutions and risky education in a federation,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(2-3), pages 355-377, April.
- Poutvaara, Panu, 2001. "Alternative tax constitutions and risky education in a federation," Munich Reprints in Economics 19302, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Burda, Michael C, 1993.
"The Determinants of East-West German Migration: Some First Results,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
764, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Burda, Michael C., 1993. "The determinants of East-West German migration: Some first results," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 452-461, April.
- Panu Poutvaara & Vesa Kanniainen, 2000.
"Why Invest in Your Neighbor? Social Contract on Educational Investment,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 7(4), pages 547-562, August.
- Poutvaara, Panu & Kanniainen, Vesa, 2000. "Why invest in your neighbor? Social contract on educational investment," Munich Reprints in Economics 19797, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Elena Del Rey, 2001. "Economic Integration and Public Provision of Education," Empirica, Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 28(2), pages 203-218, June.
- Andersson, Fredrik & Konrad, Kai A, 2003. "Globalization and Risky Human-Capital Investment," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 10(3), pages 211-28, May.
- Thiess Büttner & Margit Kraus & Johannes Rincke, 2003.
"Hochschulranglisten als Qualitätsindikatoren im Wettbewerb der Hochschulen,"
Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research,
DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 72(2), pages 252-270.
- Rincke, Johannes & Kraus, Margit & Büttner, Thiess, 2002. "Hochschulranglisten als Qualitätsindikatoren im Wettbewerb der Hochschulen," ZEW Discussion Papers 02-78, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Henley, Andrew, 1998. "Residential Mobility, Housing Equity and the Labour Market," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(447), pages 414-27, March.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M, 1988. "Economic Duration Data and Hazard Functions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(2), pages 646-79, June.
- SOEP Group, 2001. "The German Socio-Economic Panel (GSOEP) after More than 15 Years: Overview," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 70(1), pages 7-14.
- Jennifer Hunt, 2006. "Staunching Emigration from East Germany: Age and the Determinants of Migration," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 4(5), pages 1014-1037, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:anresc:v:44:y:2010:i:3:p:559-572. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.