Long-Run Effects of the Common Agricultural Policy for Switzerland: A Simulation Analysis
The long run impact of adopting the Common Agricultural Policy for Switzerland is analyzed on the basis of a three-region applied general equilibrium model. Estimates suggest that, because of the present high protection of agriculture, integration generates important net welfare gains (about 1 % of Swiss GDP) in spite of the small size of the agricultural sector. Taking into account adjustment costs due to temporary unemployment still produces sizeable welfare gains. Estimates of the distributive impacts are also provided along with an analysis of the robustness of results.
Volume (Year): 138 (2002)
Issue (Month): III (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: c/o SNB/BNS, Börsenstrasse 15, PO Box 2800, CH-8022 Zürich|
Phone: +41 (0)44 631 32 34
Fax: +41 (0)44 631 39 01
Web page: http://www.sjes.ch
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, Kym, 1995.
"Lobbying Incentives and the Pattern of Protection in Rich and Poor Countries,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 401-23, January.
- Anderson, Kym, 1993. "Lobbying Incentives and the Pattern of Protection in Rich and Poor Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 789, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Clinton R. Shiells & Kenneth A. Reinert, 1993. "Armington Models and Terms-of-Trade Effects: Some Econometric Evidence for North America," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(2), pages 299-316, May.
- Hertel, Thomas, 1997. "Global Trade Analysis: Modeling and applications," GTAP Books, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University, number 7685.
- Harrison, Glenn W. & Rutherford, Thomas F. & Wooton, Ian, 1995. "Liberalizing agriculture in the European union," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 223-255, June.
- Jaime de MELO & Sherman ROBINSON, 2015.
"Product Differentiation And The Treatment Of Foreign Trade In Computable General Equilibrium Models Of Small Economies,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Modeling Developing Countries' Policies in General Equilibrium, chapter 2, pages 21-41
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- de Melo, Jaime & Robinson, Sherman, 1989. "Product differentiation and the treatment of foreign trade in computable general equilibrium models of small economies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1-2), pages 47-67, August.
- Louis S. Jacobson & Robert J. LaLonde & Daniel G. Sullivan, 1992.
"Earnings losses of displaced workers,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
92-28, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Grether, Jean-Marie & Müller, Tobias, 2001.
"Decomposing the Economic Costs and Benefits of Accession to the EU: the Swiss Case,"
Journal of Economic Integration,
Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 16, pages 203-228.
- Jean-Marie Grether & Tobias Müller, 2000. "Decomposing the Economic Costs and Benefits of Accession to the EU: the Swiss Case," Research Papers by the Institute of Economics and Econometrics, Geneva School of Economics and Management, University of Geneva 2000.02, Institut d'Economie et Econométrie, Université de Genève.
- Thomas W. Hertel, 1999.
"Applied General Equilibrium Analysis of Agricultural and Resource Policies,"
GTAP Working Papers
297, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Hertel, Thomas W., 2002. "Applied general equilibrium analysis of agricultural and resource policies," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 26, pages 1373-1419 Elsevier.
- Herok, Claudia A. & Lotze, Hermann, 2000. "Implications of an EU Eastern Enlargement Under a New Common Agricultural Policy," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 661-690, November.
- Brown, Drusilla K., 1987. "Tariffs, the terms of trade, and national product differentiation," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 503-526.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ses:arsjes:2002-iii-3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Steiner)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.