On the Determinants of Sovereign Eurobond Spreads in Russia
The cost of external sovereign borrowing is divided into two components — the first reflects the price of socalled riskfree borrowing on the global market and the second represents the level of sovereign credit risk for a given country. The paper analyses the determinants of risk premium for Russiaissued sovereign dollardenominated Eurobonds and the impact of oil prices on the Russian sovereign Eurobonds spread in particular. While there are many empirical studies on the determinants of the sovereign spreads for emerging markets countries, the studies on this topic for oildependent countries or for Russia specifically are scarce. The paper systemizes the results of the issues for emerging markets countries and also gives a comparison with the adjacent topic — determinants of sovereign credit default swaps. The model developed in the paper uses the wellknown GARCH technique with monthly data from 2003 to 2016, including EMBIG index, S&P500 and VIX indices, oil prices and the macroindicators of the Russian economy. The analysis justifies the foremost role of the global factors as determinants of the Russian spread and gives a row of elasticity estimations. In particular, the impact of oil prices on Russian sovereign Eurobond spreads is proved to be negative and significant. The results of this study could be used in the planning and elaboration of the Russian sovereign debt policy. In particular, the findings are relevant to the strategy of optimization of expected borrowing costs.
Volume (Year): 1 (2017)
Issue (Month): (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 82, Vernadsky pr., 117571, Moscow|
Phone: +7 (499) 956 95 86
Fax: (095) 564-85-80
Web page: http://www.rane.ru/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lóránt Varga, 2009. "The information content of Hungarian sovereign CDS spreads," MNB Occasional Papers 2009/78, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (Central Bank of Hungary).
- Rabah Arezki & Markus Brückner, 2012.
"Resource Windfalls and Emerging Market Sovereign Bond Spreads: The Role of Political Institutions,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 26(1), pages 78-99.
- Rabah Arezki & Markus Bruckner, 2010. "Resource Windfalls and Emerging Market Sovereign Bond Spreads; The Role of Political Institutions," IMF Working Papers 10/179, International Monetary Fund.
- Rabah Arezki & Markus Bruckner, 2011. "Resource Windfalls and Emerging Market Sovereign Bond Spreads: The Role of Political Institutions," School of Economics Working Papers 2011-08, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Jaramillo, Laura & Weber, Anke, 2013. "Bond yields in emerging economies: It matters what state you are in," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(C), pages 169-185.
- Laura Jaramillo & Anke Weber, 2012. "Bond Yields in Emerging Economies; It Matters What State You Are In," IMF Working Papers 12/198, International Monetary Fund.
- Barry Eichengreen & Ashoka Mody, 1998. "What Explains Changing Spreads on Emerging-Market Debt: Fundamentals or Market Sentiment?," NBER Working Papers 6408, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- C. Emre Alper & Lorenzo Forni & Marc Gerard, 2013. "Pricing of Sovereign Credit Risk: Evidence from Advanced Economies during the Financial Crisis," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(2), pages 161-188, June.
- Emre Alper & Lorenzo Forni & Marc Gerard, 2012. "Pricing of Sovereign Credit Risk; Evidence From Advanced Economies During the Financial Crisis," IMF Working Papers 12/24, International Monetary Fund.
- Ebner, André, 2009. "An empirical analysis on the determinants of CEE government bond spreads," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 97-121, June.
- Joshua Aizenman & Yothin Jinjarak & Donghyun Park, 2016. "Fundamentals and Sovereign Risk of Emerging Markets," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(2), pages 151-177, May.
- Joshua Aizenman & Yothin Jinjarak & Donghyun Park, 2013. "Fundamentals and Sovereign Risk of Emerging Markets," NBER Working Papers 18963, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christiane Nickel & Philipp Rother & Jan-Christoph Ruelke, 2011. "Fiscal variables and bond spreads - evidence from Eastern European countries and Turkey," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(17), pages 1291-1307.
- Nickel, Christiane & Rother, Philipp & Rülke, Jan C., 2009. "Fiscal variables and bond spreads: evidence from eastern European countries and Turkey," Working Paper Series 1101, European Central Bank.
- Eduardo Levy-Yeyati & Tomás Williams, 2010. "US Rates and Emerging Markets Spreads," Business School Working Papers 2010-02, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Ioana Alexopoulou & Irina Bunda & Annalisa Ferrando, 2010. "Determinants of Government Bond Spreads in New EU Countries," Eastern European Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(5), pages 5-37, September.
- Ioana Alexopoulou & Irina Bunda & Annalisa Ferrando, 2010. "Determinants of Government Bond Spreads in New EU Countries," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 48(5), pages 5-37, September.
- Alexopoulou, Ioana & Bunda, Irina & Ferrando, Annalisa, 2009. "Determinants of government bond spreads in new EU countries," Working Paper Series 1093, European Central Bank.
- Jacob Gyntelberg & Peter Hördahl & Kristyna Ters & Jörg Urban, 2013. "Intraday dynamics of euro area sovereign CDS and bonds," BIS Working Papers 423, Bank for International Settlements.
- Laura Jaramillo & Michelle Michelle Tejada, 2011. "Sovereign Credit Ratings and Spreads in Emerging Markets; Does Investment Grade Matter?," IMF Working Papers 11/44, International Monetary Fund.
- Mirna Dumicic & Marko Primorac, 2011. "Determinants of sovereign risk premia for European emerging markets," Financial Theory and Practice, Institute of Public Finance, vol. 35(3), pages 277-279.
- Patrick McGuire & Martijn A Schrijvers, 2003. "Common factors in emerging market spreads," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
- Herve Alexandre & Benoist Antonin De, 2010. "Oil prices and government bond risk premiums," Post-Print halshs-00642191, HAL.
- Balazs Csonto & Iryna V. Ivaschenko, 2013. "Determinants of Sovereign Bond Spreads in Emerging Markets; Local Fundamentals and Global Factors vs. Ever-Changing Misalignments," IMF Working Papers 13/164, International Monetary Fund.
- E. Gurvich & I. Belyakov & I. Prilepskiy., 2015. "Oil Supercycle and Fiscal Policy," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 9. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rnp:ecopol:ep1708. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RANEPA maintainer)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.