Influence of the economic cycle on the determinants of nascent entrepreneurial activity. An empirical analysis of the Spanish case
This paper explores the contribution of a selection of elements representative of human capital and perception as determinants of entrepreneurship in different stages of the economic cycle. The results confirm the significance of self efficacy, the perception of opportunities, and the fear of failure, and highlight the importance of personal knowledge of entrepreneurs. They remain influential in different economic times in which their analyses have been replicated, although some differences are felt that point to, in contraction periods, a loss of influence of the confidence in one’s own abilities, compared to an increase in the case of judgment on the existence of opportunities in the environment, and in the case of the presence of entrepreneurs in the surrounding context. In contrast, the behavior of the fear of failure, as a barrier to entrepreneurship, remains unchanged in an adverse context with respect to a positive context due to reduced opportunity costs.
Volume (Year): (2013)
Issue (Month): 26 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Viladomat, 321 entresuelo - 08029 Barcelona, Teléfono y Fax: + 34 933101112, E-mail: email@example.com, Web: www.aecr.org, Web Investigaciones Regionales: www.investigacionesregionales.org|
Phone: +34 93 310 11 12
Fax: +34 93 310 11 12
Web page: http://www.aecr.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gries Thomas & Naude Wim, 2011.
"Entrepreneurship, Structural Change and a Global Economic Crisis,"
Entrepreneurship Research Journal,
De Gruyter, vol. 1(3), pages 1-43, July.
- Gries, Thomas & Naude, Wim, 2010. "Entrepreneurship, Structural Change and a Global Economic Crisis," Working Paper Series wp2010-57, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Paul Reynolds & Niels Bosma & Erkko Autio & Steve Hunt & Natalie De Bono & Isabel Servais & Paloma Lopez-Garcia & Nancy Chin, 2005. "Global Entrepreneurship Monitor: Data Collection Design and Implementation 1998–2003," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 205-231, 02.
- P. Köllinger & M. Minniti, 2006.
"Not for Lack of Trying: American Entrepreneurship in Black and White,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 59-79, August.
- Philipp Köllinger & Maria Minniti, 2006. "Not for Lack of Trying: American Entrepreneurship in Black and White," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 574, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Andreas Freytag & Roy Thurik, 2007.
"Entrepreneurship and its determinants in a cross-country setting,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 117-131, April.
- Roy Thurik & Andreas Freytag, 2006. "Entrepreneurship and its determinants in a cross-country setting," Scales Research Reports H200616, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Heiko Bergmann & Rolf Sternberg, 2007. "The Changing Face of Entrepreneurship in Germany," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 205-221, March.
- Carter, Nancy M. & Gartner, William B. & Reynolds, Paul D., 1996. "Exploring start-up event sequences," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 151-166, May.
- Pia Arenius & Dirk Clercq, 2005. "A Network-based Approach on Opportunity Recognition," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 249-265, 02.
- Lee, Lena & Wong, Poh Kam & Chua, Bee Leng & Chen, Jennifer, 2005. "Antecedents for Entrepreneurial Propensity: Findings from Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan," MPRA Paper 594, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Minniti, Maria & Lévesque, Moren, 2008. "Recent developments in the economics of entrepreneurship," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 603-612, November.
- Pia Arenius & Maria Minniti, 2005. "Perceptual Variables and Nascent Entrepreneurship," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 233-247, 02.
- Davidsson, Per & Honig, Benson, 2003. "The role of social and human capital among nascent entrepreneurs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 301-331, May.
- Roy Thurik & Sander Wennekers & Ingrid Verheul & David Audretsch, 2001.
"An eclectic theory of entrepreneurship: policies, institutions and culture,"
Scales Research Reports
H200012, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Ingrid Verheul & Sander Wennekers & David Audretsch & Roy Thurik, 2001. "An Eclectic Theory of Entrepreneurship: Policies, Institutions and Culture," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-030/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Maria Minniti & Carlo Nardone, 2007. "Being in Someone Else’s Shoes: the Role of Gender in Nascent Entrepreneurship," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 223-238, March.
- C. Mirjam van Praag & Peter H. Versloot, 2007.
"What is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
07-066/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- C. Praag & Peter Versloot, 2007. "What is the value of entrepreneurship? A review of recent research," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 29(4), pages 351-382, December.
- van Praag, Mirjam C. & Versloot, Peter H., 2007. "What Is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research," IZA Discussion Papers 3014, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- C. Mirjam van Praag & Peter H. Versloot, 2007. "What is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research," Jena Economic Research Papers 2007-061, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Polona Tominc & Miroslav Rebernik, 2007. "Growth Aspirations and Cultural Support for Entrepreneurship: A Comparison of Post-Socialist Countries," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 239-255, March.
- Ajzen, Icek, 1991. "The theory of planned behavior," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 179-211, December.
- Zoltan Acs & Sameeksha Desai & Jolanda Hessels, 2008. "Entrepreneurship, economic development and institutions," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 219-234, October.
- Christine Tamasy, 2006. "Determinants of regional entrepreneurship dynamics in contemporary Germany: A conceptual and empirical analysis," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(4), pages 365-384.
- Peter Johnson & Simon Parker & Frits Wijbenga, 2006. "Nascent Entrepreneurship Research: Achievements and Opportunities," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 1-4, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:invreg:0229. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julieta Llungo-Ortíz)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.