Investment Cash Flow Sensitivity and Managerial Optimism: A Literature Review via the Classification Scheme Technique
In this paper, we present a literature review and classification scheme for investment cash flow sensitivity under behavioral corporate finance (hereafter, BCF). The former consists of all published articles between 2000 and 2011 in different journals that are appropriate outlets for BCF research. The articles are classified and results of these are presented and analyzed. The classification of articles was based on nine criteria; journals, date of publication, paper nature, the context of the study adopted behavioral biases, adopted approach, behavioral biases measurement, the adopted assumption, econometric approach and empirical findings. Literature on investment cash flow sensitivity under behavioral corporate finance isn't well developed. In fact, the behavioral corporate finance is very young. Our review shows that behavioral biases (optimism and overconfidence) have an explanatory power and they can succeed to explain the dependence of corporate investment on the internal cash flow availability. This result is protected in the most cases by the some restrictive assumptions: the absence of agency costs and asymmetric information. Based on the review, suggestions for future research are likewise provided.
Volume (Year): 05 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Strada Mihai Eminescu nr.13-15, sector 1, Bucuresti, Romania|
Web page: http://www.fin.ase.ro/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luigi Zingales, 2000.
"In Search of New Foundations,"
CRSP working papers
515, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- George, Rejie & Kabir, Rezaul & Qian, Jing, 2011. "Investment-cash flow sensitivity and financing constraints: New evidence from Indian business group firms," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 69-88, April.
- Gugler, Klaus & Yurtoglu, Burcin B., 2003. "Average q, marginal q, and the relation between ownership and performance," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(3), pages 379-384, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7656, David K. Levine.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Shefrin, Hersh & Statman, Meir, 2000. "Behavioral Portfolio Theory," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(02), pages 127-151, June.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Luigi Zingales, 1997. "Do Investment-Cash Flow Sensitivities Provide Useful Measures of Financing Constraints?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(1), pages 169-215.
- Lin, Yueh-hsiang & Hu, Shing-yang & Chen, Ming-shen, 2005. "Managerial optimism and corporate investment: Some empirical evidence from Taiwan," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 523-546, November.
- Pawlina, G. & Renneboog, L.D.R., 2005.
"Is Investment-Cash Flow Sensitivity Caused by the Agency Costs or Asymmetric Information? Evidence from the UK,"
2005-001, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Pawlina, G. & Renneboog, L.D.R., 2005. "Is Investment-Cash Flow Sensitivity Caused by the Agency Costs or Asymmetric Information? Evidence from the UK," Discussion Paper 2005-23, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Michel A. Habib & Alexander Ljungqvist, 2005.
"Firm Value and Managerial Incentives: A Stochastic Frontier Approach,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(6), pages 2053-2094, November.
- Habib, Michel Antoine & Ljungqvist, Alexander P., 2000. "Firm Value and Managerial Incentives: A Stochastic Frontier Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 2564, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michel Habib & Alexander Ljungqvist, 2000. "Firm Value and Managerial Incentives: A Stochastic Frontier Approach," OFRC Working Papers Series 2000fe03, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Marasco, Alessandra, 2008. "Third-party logistics: A literature review," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 127-147, May.
- R. Glenn Hubbard, 1998.
"Capital-Market Imperfections and Investment,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 36(1), pages 193-225, March.
- Malmendier, Ulrike M. & Tate, Geoffrey, 2003.
"Who Makes Acquisitions? CEO Overconfidence and the Market's Reaction,"
1798, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Malmendier, Ulrike & Tate, Geoffrey, 2008. "Who makes acquisitions? CEO overconfidence and the market's reaction," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 20-43, July.
- Ulrike Malmendier & Geoffrey Tate, 2004. "Who Makes Acquisitions? CEO Overconfidence and the Market's Reaction," NBER Working Papers 10813, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Julio Pindado & Chabela de la Torre, 2009. "Effect of ownership structure on underinvestment and overinvestment: empirical evidence from Spain," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 49(2), pages 363-383.
- Lin, Yueh-hsiang & Hu, Shing-yang & Chen, Ming-shen, 2008. "Testing pecking order prediction from the viewpoint of managerial optimism: Some empirical evidence from Taiwan," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 160-181, January.
- Hackbarth, Dirk, 2009. "Determinants of corporate borrowing: A behavioral perspective," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 389-411, September.
- Hackbarth, Dirk, 2008. "Managerial Traits and Capital Structure Decisions," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(04), pages 843-881, December.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Zong, Sijing, 2006. "The cash flow-investment relationship: International evidence of limited access to external finance," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 89-104, February.
- Campbell, T. Colin & Gallmeyer, Michael & Johnson, Shane A. & Rutherford, Jessica & Stanley, Brooke W., 2011. "CEO optimism and forced turnover," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(3), pages 695-712, September.
- Degryse, H.A. & de Jong, A., 2000. "Investment Spending in the Netherlands : The Impact of Liquidity and Corporate Governance," Discussion Paper 2000-24, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Ulrike Malmendier & Geoffrey Tate & Jonathan Yan, 2007. "Corporate Financial Policies With Overconfident Managers," NBER Working Papers 13570, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ekkehart Boehmer & Jeffry M. Netter, 1997. "Management optimism and corporate acquisitions: evidence from insider trading," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(7-8), pages 693-708.
- Harris, Milton & Raviv, Artur, 1991. " The Theory of Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 297-355, March.
- Brown, Rayna & Sarma, Neal, 2007. "CEO overconfidence, CEO dominance and corporate acquisitions," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 59(5), pages 358-379.
- Klaus Gugler, 2003. "Corporate governance and investment," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 261-289.
- Firth, Michael & Fung, Peter M.Y. & Rui, Oliver M., 2006. "Corporate performance and CEO compensation in China," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 693-714, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rfb:journl:v:05:y:2013:i:1:p:007-026. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatu Lucian)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.