Third-party logistics: A literature review
Third-party logistics (TPL) has attracted considerable research attention in the recent past. Despite the growing body of literature on this topic, precious little effort has been devoted to synthesizing the overall state of art of research on TPL. In this paper, an attempt is made to review the status of literature on TPL. A literature review scheme is presented. A total of 152 articles published between 1989 and 2006 in 33 reputable international journals are reviewed and classified into content- and methodology-related issues. Based on the review, suggestions for future research are likewise provided.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tyan, Jonah C. & Wang, Fu-Kwun & Du, Timon C., 2003. "An evaluation of freight consolidation policies in global third party logistics," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 55-62, February.
- Krumwiede, Dennis W. & Sheu, Chwen, 2002. "A model for reverse logistics entry by third-party providers," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 325-333, October.
- Lim, Wei Shi, 2000. "A lemons market? An incentive scheme to induce truth-telling in third party logistics providers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 125(3), pages 519-525, September.
- Li, Tiger & Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 1995. "A classification and assessment of research streams in International Marketing," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 251-277, September.
- Huiskonen, Janne & Pirttila, Timo, 2002. "Lateral coordination in a logistics outsourcing relationship," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 177-185, July.
- Carbone, Valentina & Stone, Marilyn A., 2005. "Growth and relational strategies used by the European logistics service providers: Rationale and outcomes," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 495-510, November.
- Stank, Theodore P. & Daugherty, Patricia J., 1997. "The impact of operating environment on the formation of cooperative logistics relationships," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 53-65, March.
- Zapfel, Gunther & Wasner, Michael, 2002. "Planning and optimization of hub-and-spoke transportation networks of cooperative third-party logistics providers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 207-220, July.
- Lai, Kee-hung, 2004. "Service capability and performance of logistics service providers," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 385-399, September.
- Chen, Frank Y. & Hum, S. H. & Sun, J., 2001. "Analysis of third-party warehousing contracts with commitments," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 131(3), pages 603-610, June.
- Panayides, Photis M. & So, Meko, 2005. "Logistics service provider-client relationships," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 179-200, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:113:y:2008:i:1:p:127-147. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.