Price and Yield As Sources of Variability of Farm Revenues in Transition Economies: The Case of Armenia
In transition economies, the shift to a market system has been accompanied by relevant evolutions of farm income level. Sustainability of farming depends not only on the level but also on the variability of economic results over time. Climatic changes and increasing market uncertainty make small-scale farmers particularly vulnerable to this. This paper analyses revenue variability of the five main crops in Armenia and, by using variance decomposition, it assesses what portion of it is associated with prices and yields and whether a natural hedge exists. The analysis accounts for presence of trends in yield, price and revenue - a situation commonly encountered in transition economies. Variability of revenues of single crops is high. While in some crops the variance associated with price exceeds that of yield, in other cases the opposite occurs. Policy and methodological insights regarding how to manage and to study revenue risk in transition economies are discussed.
Volume (Year): 3 (2016)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: EPFL-CDM-ITPP, Station 5, CH - 1015 Lausanne|
Phone: +41 21 693 0002
Fax: +41 21 693 0080
Web page: http://aef.redfame.com
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oscar R. Burt & Robert M. Finley, 1968. "Statistical Analysis of Identities in Random Variables," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 50(3), pages 734-744.
- Joleen C. Hadrich, 2013. "Quantifying the sources of revenue variation in the Northern Great Plains," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 73(3), pages 493-506, November.
- Offutt, Susan E. & Blandford, David, 1986. "Commodity market instability : Empirical techniques for analysis," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 62-72, March.
- Christopher A. Wolf, 2009. "Upper Midwest dairy farm revenue variation and insurance implications," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 69(3), pages 346-358, November.
- Ashok K. Mishra & Carmen L. Sandretto, 2002. "Stability of Farm Income and the Role of Nonfarm Income in U.S. Agriculture," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 24(1), pages 208-221.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rfa:aefjnl:v:3:y:2016:i:4:p:157-167. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Redfame publishing)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.