Accounting For Endogeneity in Matching Function Estimation
We show that equilibrium matching models imply that standard estimates of the matching function elasticities are exposed to an endogeneity bias, which arises from the search behavior of agents on either side of the market. We offer an estimation method which, under certain structural assumptions about the process driving shocks to matching efficiency, is immune from that bias. Application of our method to the estimation of a basic version of the matching function using aggregate U.S. data from the Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey (JOLTS) suggests that the bias can be quantitatively important. (Copyright: Elsevier)
Volume (Year): 16 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/review.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/RED17.htm Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fahr, Rene & Sunde, Uwe, 2005.
"Job and vacancy competition in empirical matching functions,"
Elsevier, vol. 12(6), pages 773-780, December.
- Fahr, René & Sunde, Uwe, 2005. "Job and vacancy competition in empirical matching functions," Munich Reprints in Economics 20487, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Aysegül Sahin & Joseph Song & Giorgio Topa & Giovanni L. Violante, 2012.
566, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Ayşegül Şahin & Joseph Song & Giorgio Topa & Giovanni L. Violante, 2012. "Mismatch Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 18265, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sahin, Aysegul & Song, Joseph & Topa, Giorgio & Violante, Giovanni L, 2012. "Mismatch Unemployment," CEPR Discussion Papers 9093, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yashiv, E., 1999.
"The Determinants of Equilibrium Unemployment,"
36-99, Tel Aviv.
- Yashiv, Eran, 2007. "Labor search and matching in macroeconomics," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(8), pages 1859-1895, November.
- Patricia M. Anderson & Simon M. Burgess, 2000. "Empirical Matching Functions: Estimation and Interpretation Using State-Level Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(1), pages 93-102, February.
- Jolivet, Grégory, 2009. "A longitudinal analysis of search frictions and matching in the U.S. labor market," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 121-134, April.
- Rogerson, Richard & Shimer, Robert, 2011.
"Search in Macroeconomic Models of the Labor Market,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
- Richard Rogerson & Robert Shimer, 2010. "Search in Macroeconomic Models of the Labor Market," NBER Working Papers 15901, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gregg, Paul & Petrongolo, Barbara, 2005. "Stock-flow matching and the performance of the labor market," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(8), pages 1987-2011, November.
- Stock, James H, 1987. "Asymptotic Properties of Least Squares Estimators of Cointegrating Vectors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 1035-56, September.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Steven N. Durlauf, 1985.
"Multiple Time Series Regression with Integrated Processes,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
768, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, P C B & Durlauf, S N, 1986. "Multiple Time Series Regression with Integrated Processes," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(4), pages 473-95, August.
- Robert E. Hall, 2005. "Employment Fluctuations with Equilibrium Wage Stickiness," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(1), pages 50-65, March.
- Eran Yashiv, 2007. "Labor Search and Matching in Macroeconomics," CEP Discussion Papers dp0803, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Yashiv, Eran, 2007. "Labor Search and Matching in Macroeconomics," IZA Discussion Papers 2743, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hsiao, Cheng, 1997. "Statistical Properties of the Two-Stage Least Squares Estimator under Cointegration," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(3), pages 385-98, July.
- Gregory, Allan W. & Veall, Michael R., 1986. "Wald tests of common factor restrictions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 22(2-3), pages 203-208.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1993.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0110, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher A, 1994. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 397-415, July.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:issued:11-211. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.