Reforming financial systems after the crisis: a comparison of EU and USA
Since July 2007, the developed countries faced the most serious and disruptive crisis after the 1929 Great Depression. As the crisis unfolded, policy authorities stepped in to support troubled financial institutions with large bailouts. This prevented a meltdown of the system, but at the cost of largest ever moral hazard, huge losses for taxpayers, shocks to fiscal sustainability, with probabilities of distress going up across sovereigns. Repair of financial regulation and supervision was necessary to reduce systemic risk and to achieve financial stability. Both in the EU and in the USA new frameworks have been and are being established. They share a common approach, based on a new regulatory agenda, stronger coordinated supervision ï¿½ macro and micro prudential ï¿½ and crisis management procedures. This paper offers a critical analysis of the two models of financial reform being enacted and points to weaknesses, notably in respect of effective, coordinated crisis management procedures.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Park, Yung Chul & Claessens, Stijn, 2000. "Contagion: Understanding How It Spreads," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 15(2), pages 177-97, August.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973.
"On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates,"
684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974. "On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- George A. Akerlof, 2002.
"Behavioral Macroeconomics and Macroeconomic Behavior,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 92(3), pages 411-433, June.
- Akerlof, George A., 2001. "Behavioral Macroeconomics and Macroeconomic Behavior," Nobel Prize in Economics documents 2001-4, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Hicks, John, 1977. "Economic Perspectives: Further Essays on Money and Growth," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284079, July.
- Michael Hutchison & Kathleen McDill, 1999.
"Are All Banking Crises Alike? The Japanese Experience in International Comparison,"
NBER Working Papers
7253, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hutchison, Michael & McDill, Kathleen, 1999. "Are All Banking Crises Alike? The Japanese Experience in International Comparison," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 155-180, September.
- Michael Hutchison & Kathleen McDill, 1999. "Are all banking crises alike? The Japanese experience in international comparison," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 99-02, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Hutchison, M. & McDill, K., 1998. "Are All Banking Crises Alike? The Japanese Experience in International Comparison," Papers 99-02, Economisch Institut voor het Midden en Kleinbedrijf-.
- Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 1998. "The Determinants of Banking Crises in Developing and Developed Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(1), pages 81-109, March.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark, 1989. "Agency Costs, Net Worth, and Business Fluctuations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 14-31, March.
- N. Lesca, 2010. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00640602, HAL.
- Joseph Gyourko & Donald B. Keim, 1992. "What Does the Stock Market Tell Us About Real Estate Returns?," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 20(3), pages 457-485.
- Berger, Allen N. & Herring, Richard J. & Szego, Giorgio P., 1995.
"The role of capital in financial institutions,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 393-430, June.
- Allen N. Berger & Richard J. Herring & Giorgio P. Szego, 1995. "The role of capital in financial institutions," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-23, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Richard J. Herring & Giorgio P. Szegö, 1995. "The Role of Capital in Financial Institutions," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 95-01, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996.
"The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2000.
"Las crisis gemelas: las causas de los problemas bancarios y de balanza de pagos
[The twin crises: Te causes of banking and balance of payments problems]," MPRA Paper 13842, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- William R. White, 2003. "International financial crises: prevention, management and resolution," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 139(III), pages 299-309, September.
- Acharya, Viral V, 2009.
"A Theory of Systemic Risk and Design of Prudential Bank Regulation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7164, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Acharya, Viral V., 2009. "A theory of systemic risk and design of prudential bank regulation," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 224-255, September.
- Dungey, Mardi & Fry, Renee & Gonzalez-Hermosillo, Brenda & Martin, Vance, 2006. "Contagion in international bond markets during the Russian and the LTCM crises," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 1-27, April.
- Eric S. Rosengren, 2009. "Challenges in resolving systemically important financial institutions," Speech 26, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 2005.
"Cross-Country Empirical Studies of Systemic Bank Distress: A Survey,"
IMF Working Papers
05/96, International Monetary Fund.
- Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 2005. "Cross-Country Empirical Studies of Systemic Bank Distress: A Survey," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 192(1), pages 68-83, April.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica, 2005. "Cross-country empirical studies of systemic bank distress : a survey," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3719, The World Bank.
- Robert C. Merton, 1995. "A Functional Perspective of Financial Intermediation," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 24(2), Summer.
- Christian Capuano, 2008. "The Option-iPoD," IMF Working Papers 08/194, International Monetary Fund.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009.
"Varieties of Crises and Their Dates
[This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8973.
- Viral V. Acharya & Tanju Yorulmazer, 2008. "Information Contagion and Bank Herding," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(1), pages 215-231, 02.
- C. H. Furfine, 1999. "Interbank exposures: quantifying the risk of contagion," BIS Working Papers 70, Bank for International Settlements.
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Miguel A. Segoviano & Charles Goodhart, 2009. "Banking stability measures," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24416, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- David M. Geltner, 1993. "Estimating Market Values from Appraised Values without Assuming an Efficient Market," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(3), pages 325-346.
- Sandra Pianalto, 2010. "Regulatory reform: the new face of bank regulation , a speech presented at the Joint Convention of the Ohio Bankers League and the Illinois League of Financial Institutions in French Lick, Indiana on ," Speech 31, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Charles Goodhart & Miguel Segoviano, 2009. "Banking Stability Measures," FMG Discussion Papers dp627, Financial Markets Group.
- Lastra, Rosa Maria, 2006. "Legal Foundations of International Monetary Stability," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199269341, July.
- Helmut Elsinger & Alfred Lehar & Martin Summer, 2006. "Systemically important banks: an analysis for the European banking system," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 73-89, April.
- S. Michael Giliberto, 1990. "Equity Real Estate Investment Trusts and Real Estate Returns," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 5(2), pages 259-264.
- Craig Furfine, 1999. "Interbank exposures: quantifying the risk of contagion," Proceedings 633, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- E. Philip Davis & Dilruba Karim, 2008. "Could Early Warning Systems Have Helped To Predict the Sub-Prime Crisis?," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 206(1), pages 35-47, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:psl:pslqrr:2010:42. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlo D'Ippoliti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.