Household s Willingness to Pay for Safe Drinking Water: A Case Study of Abbottabad District
This study is based on survey data and used both the contingent valuation method and averting behaviour approach to capture HH's willingness to pay for services and quality in the drinking water sector. In case of the HH’s WTP for improved water services, the study estimates that there is statistically significant effect of location that in urban areas, HHs has more WTP for improved water services. The study also finds that sources of water have a significant effect on WTP i.e. the HH who have own source are willing to pay in the higher range (Rs 51–100) further tap water has significant effect on WTP for the first two quartiles. As expected, education level ignificantly affects WTP for safe drinking water.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 46 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O.Box 1091, Islamabad-44000|
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bryan J. Hubbell & Jeffrey L. Jordan, 2000. "Joint Production and Averting Expenditure Measures of Willingness to Pay: Do Water Expenditures Really Measure Avoidance Costs?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(2), pages 427-437.
- John C. Whitehead & George Van Houtven, . "Methods for Valuing the Benefits of the Safe Drinking Water Act: Review and Assessment," Working Papers 9705, East Carolina University, Department of Economics.
- Shogren, Jason F. & Crocker, Thomas D. & Forster, Bruce A., 1991.
"Valuing Potential Groundwater Protection Benefits,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
335, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Thomas D. Crocker & Bruce A. Forster & Jason F. Shogren, 1991. "Valuing Potential Groundwater Protection Benefits," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 91-wp71, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Harrington, Winston & Krupnick, Alan J. & Spofford, Walter Jr., 1989. "The economic losses of a waterborne disease outbreak," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 116-137, January.
- Whittington, Dale, et al, 1990. "Estimating the Willingness to Pay for Water Services in Developing Countries: A Case Study of the Use of Contingent Valuation Surveys in Southern Haiti," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 38(2), pages 293-311, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:journl:v:46:y:2007:i:4:p:1137-1153. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.