Commodity Price Movements in a General Equilibrium Model of Storage
The paper embeds the canonical rational expectations competitive storage model into a general equilibrium framework thereby allowing the nonlinear commodity price dynamics implied by the competitive storage model to interact with the broader macroeconomy. The paper's main result is that the endogenous movement in interest rates implied under general equilibrium enhances the effects of competitive storage on commodity prices. Compared with a model in which the real interest rate is fixed, the paper finds that storage in general equilibrium leads to more persistence in commodity prices and to a lower frequency of stockouts. A key mechanism driving this result is a link between the ability of the household to smooth consumption over time and the level of storage in the stochastic equilibrium. Finally, the model is used to examine the macroeconomic effects of biofuel subsidies for ethanol producers.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 61 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/ |
|Order Information:|| Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK|
Web: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/pal/subscribe/index.html Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leduc, Sylvain & Sill, Keith, 2004.
"A quantitative analysis of oil-price shocks, systematic monetary policy, and economic downturns,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 781-808, May.
- Sylvain Leduc & Keith Sill, 2001. "A quantitative analysis of oil-price shocks, systematic monetary policy, and economic downturns," Working Papers 01-9, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Julia K. Thomas, 2002.
"Is Lumpy Investment Relevant for the Business Cycle?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(3), pages 508-534, June.
- Julia K. Thomas, . "Is Lumpy Investment Relevant for the Business Cycle?," GSIA Working Papers 1998-E250, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Julia K. Thomas, 2002. "Is lumpy investment relevant for the business cycle?," Staff Report 302, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Bruce A. Babcock, 2011.
"The Impact of Ethanol and Ethanol Subsidies on Corn Prices: Revisiting History,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
11-pb5, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Bruce A. Babcock, 2011. "The Impact of Ethanol and Ethanol Subsidies on Corn Prices: Revisiting History," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 11-pb5, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- NG, Serena & RUGE-MURCIA, Francisco J., 1997.
"Explaining the Persistence of Commodity Prices,"
Cahiers de recherche
9709, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Martin Bodenstein & Luca Guerrieri, 2011.
"Oil efficiency, demand, and prices: a tale of ups and downs,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
1031, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Luca Guerrieri & Martin Bodenstein, 2012. "Oil Efficiency, Demand, and Prices: a Tale of Ups and Downs," 2012 Meeting Papers 25, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Cafiero, Carlo & Bobenrieth H., Eugenio S.A. & Bobenrieth H., Juan R.A. & Wright, Brian D., 2011. "The empirical relevance of the competitive storage model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 162(1), pages 44-54, May.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521326162 is not listed on IDEAS
- Norbert Funke & Weifeng Wu & Yanliang Miao, 2011. "Reviving the Competitive Storage Model; A Holistic Approach to Food Commodity Prices," IMF Working Papers 11/64, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pal:imfecr:v:61:y:2013:i:1:p:199-224. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Daniel Foley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.