The Benefit Function Approach to Modeling Price-Dependent Demand Systems: An Application of Duality Theory
In this article, we advocate more extensive use of the benefit function in specifying price-dependent or inverse demand models. We demonstrate how duality theory may be used to establish the interrelationships between the Marshallian (or Hicksian) inverse demands and Luenberger’s adjusted price functions, allowing estimable inverse demands to be derived directly from a benefit function. We estimate two systems of inverse demands for Japanese quarterly fish consumption. Results indicate that the procedures and methods employed here appear promising, and may prove beneficial for quantity and welfare analysis when modeling systems of inverse demand functions. Copyright 2009, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 91 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
- Deaton, Angus, 1979. "The Distance Function in Consumer Behaviour with Applications to Index Numbers and Optimal Taxation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 391-405, July.
- Moschini, Giancarlo & Moro, Daniele, 1994.
"Autocorrelation specification in singular equation systems,"
Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 303-309, December.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Moro, D., 1994. "Autocorrelation Specification in Singular Equation Systems," Staff General Research Papers 11134, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Beach, Robert H. & Holt, Matthew T., 1999.
"Incorporating Quadratic Scale Curves In Inverse Demand Systems,"
1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN
21579, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Robert H. Beach & Matthew T. Holt, 2001. "Incorporating Quadratic Scale Curves in Inverse Demand Systems," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(1), pages 230-245.
- Hanoch, Giora, 1975. "Production and Demand Models with Direct or Indirect Implicit Additivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(3), pages 395-419, May.
- Holt, Matthew T., 2002. "Inverse demand systems and choice of functional form," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 117-142, January.
- Michele Baggio & Jean-Paul Chavas, 2006. "On the Consumer Value of Environmental Diversity," Working Papers 35, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Pollak, R.A. & Wales, T.J., 1990.
"The Likelihood Dominance Criterion: A New Approach To Model Selection,"
90-10, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Pollak, Robert A. & Wales, Terence J., 1991. "The likelihood dominance criterion : A new approach to model selection," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2-3), pages 227-242, February.
- Pollak, R.A. & Wales, T.J., 1990. "The Likelihood Dominance Criterion: A New Approach To Model Selection," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 90-10, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Hoanjae Park & Walter N. Thurman, 1999. "On Interpreting Inverse Demand Systems: A Primal Comparison of Scale Flexibilities and Income Elasticities," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 950-958.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1991. "The Rank of Demand Systems: Theory and Nonparametric Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 711-30, May.
- James Eales & Catherine Durham & Cathy R. Wessells, 1997. "Generalized Models of Japanese Demand for Fish," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1153-1163.
- Eales, James S. & Unnevehr, Laurian J., 1994. "The inverse almost ideal demand system," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 101-115, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:ajagec:v:91:y:2009:i:4:p:1110-1123. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.