Incorporating Quadratic Scale Curves In Inverse Demand Systems
In this paper we introduce inverse demand systems that include quadratic scale terms. These systems are similar to regular quadratic demand systems introduced by Howe, Pollack, and Wales. A unique feature of these specifications is that they maintain linear scale curves as a special case. For illustrative purposes we estimate the Normalized Quadratic Inverse Demand-Quadratic Scale System using monthly South Atlantic fish landings and valuation data, 1980-1996. In estimation concavity is maintained locally, and the rank reduction procedures advocated by Diewert and Wales (1988b) are employed. The estimated model is then used to obtain welfare estimates associated with catch restrictions.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diewert, W E & Wales, T J, 1988. "Normalized Quadratic Systems of Consumer Demand Functions," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 6(3), pages 303-12, July.
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 1998. "Semiflexible Almost Ideal Demand System, The," Staff General Research Papers 1193, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Howe, Howard & Pollak, Robert A & Wales, Terence J, 1979. "Theory and Time Series Estimation of the Quadratic Expenditure System," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1231-47, September.
- Brown, Mark G & Lee, Jonq-Ying & Seale, James L, Jr, 1995. "A Family of Inverse Demand Systems and Choice of Functional Form," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 519-30.
- Palmquist, Raymond B., 1988. "Welfare measurement for environmental improvements using the hedonic model: The case of nonparametric marginal prices," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 297-312, September.
- Moschini, Giancarlo, 1998. "The semiflexible almost ideal demand system," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 349-364, February.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Vissa, Anuradha, 1992. "A Linear Inverse Demand System," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 17(02), December.
- Richard C. Bishop & Matthew T. Holt, 2002. "A semiflexible normalized quadratic inverse demand system: an application to the price formation of fish," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 23-47.
- Eales, James S., 1994. "The Inverse Lewbel Demand System," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(01), July.
- Barten, A. P. & Bettendorf, L. J., 1989. "Price formation of fish : An application of an inverse demand system," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1509-1525, October.
- Ryan, David L & Wales, Terence J, 1998. "A Simple Method for Imposing Local Curvature in Some Flexible Consumer-Demand Systems," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 331-38, July.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Vissa, A., 1992. "Linear Inverse Demand System, A," Staff General Research Papers 11250, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- David L. Ryan & Terence J. Wales, 1999. "Flexible And Semiflexible Consumer Demands With Quadratic Engel Curves," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(2), pages 277-287, May.
- Hoanjae Park & Walter N. Thurman, 1999. "On Interpreting Inverse Demand Systems: A Primal Comparison of Scale Flexibilities and Income Elasticities," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 950-958.
- W. E. Diewert & T. J. Wales, 1993. "Linear and Quadratic Spline Models for Consumer Demand Functions," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(1), pages 77-106, February.
- James Eales & Catherine Durham & Cathy R. Wessells, 1997. "Generalized Models of Japanese Demand for Fish," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1153-1163.
- Eales, James S. & Unnevehr, Laurian J., 1994. "The inverse almost ideal demand system," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 101-115, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea99:21579. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.