The Effects of a Bonus Tax on Manager Compensation and Welfare
This paper analyses the implications of a bonus tax for compensation components and firm profits, and studies its incidence as well as welfare implications. Using a principal-agent model with endogenous or exogenous reservation wages, we show how the effort-based compensation component changes in the country introducing the tax. Moreover, with exogenous reservation wages, the bonus tax negatively affects profits and dividends such that the incidence falls on the firm's shareholders. With endogenous reservation wages, the results are largely similar.
Volume (Year): 68 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.mohr.de/fa|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brian J. Hall & Jeffrey B. Liebman, 2000.
"The Taxation of Executive Compensation,"
in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 14, pages 1-44
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas Philippon & Ariell Reshef, 2009.
"Wages and Human Capital in the U.S. Financial Industry: 1909-2006,"
NBER Working Papers
14644, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philippon, Thomas & Reshef, Ariell, 2009. "Wages and Human Capital in the U.S. Financial Industry: 1909-2006," CEPR Discussion Papers 7282, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christelle Viauroux & Barnali Gupta, 2009. "Is Tax sharing Optimal? An Analysis in a Principal-Agent Framework," UMBC Economics Department Working Papers 09-105, UMBC Department of Economics.
- Emmanuel Saez & Joel B. Slemrod & Seth H. Giertz, 2009.
"The Elasticity of Taxable Income with Respect to Marginal Tax Rates: A Critical Review,"
NBER Working Papers
15012, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Emmanuel Saez & Joel Slemrod & Seth H. Giertz, 2012. "The Elasticity of Taxable Income with Respect to Marginal Tax Rates: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 50(1), pages 3-50, March.
- Gruber, Jon & Saez, Emmanuel, 2002.
"The elasticity of taxable income: evidence and implications,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 1-32, April.
- Jon Gruber & Emmanuel Saez, 2000. "The Elasticity of Taxable Income: Evidence and Implications," NBER Working Papers 7512, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Katuscák, 2009. "Taxes and Executive Compensation: Evidence from the 1990s," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 55(3-4), pages 542-568.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mhr:finarc:urn:sici:0015-2218(201203)68:1_1:teoabt_2.0.tx_2-z. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.