E Pluribus Unum? Authorities' Design in Financial Supervision: Trends and Determinants
This paper presents an analysis of recent trends and determinants in the architectures of financial supervision, focused on the authorities design. We propose a path dependence approach to study the single authority versus multi-authority dilemma, considering the level of financial supervision consolidation as the dependent variable. In particular, in a movement towards full consolidation in supervision, one can think of two sharp alternatives: a monopolist central bank or a pure single financial authority. Given that the degree of supervision consolidation seems to be inversely correlated with central bank involvement in supervision itself, the paper sheds light on the possible explanation of this trade-off. The trade off is tested using Probit techniques with a sample of 68 countries. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, Inc. 2006
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 17 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/international+economics/journal/11079/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Katharina Pistor, 2000. "Patterns of legal change: shareholder and creditor rights in transition economies," Working Papers 49, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- Christina D. Romer & David H. Romer, 1989.
"Does Monetary Policy Matter? A New Test in the Spirit of Friedman and Schwartz,"
NBER Working Papers
2966, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christina D. Romer & David H. Romer, 1989. "Does Monetary Policy Matter? A New Test in the Spirit of Friedman and Schwartz," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1989, Volume 4, pages 121-184 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Romer, Christina D. & Romer, David H., 1989. "Does Monetary Policy Matter? A New Test in the Spirit of Friedman and Schwartz," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt5h07k8vf, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Christina D. Romer and David H. Romer., 1989. "Does Monetary Policy Matter? A New Test in the Spirit of Friedman and Schwartz," Economics Working Papers 89-107, University of California at Berkeley.
- Perotti, Enrico C & von Thadden, Ernst-Ludwig, 2003. "The Political Economy of Bank and Equity Dominance," CEPR Discussion Papers 3914, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael W Taylor & Marc G Quintyn, 2002.
"Regulatory and Supervisory Independence and Financial Stability,"
IMF Working Papers
02/46, International Monetary Fund.
- Marc Quintyn & Michael W. Taylor, 2003. "Regulatory and Supervisory Independence and Financial Stability," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 49(2), pages 259-294.
- Marco Pagano & Paolo Volpin, 1999.
"The Political Economy of Corporate Governance,"
CSEF Working Papers
29, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 01 Jul 2005.
- Wallace, Myles S. & Warner, John T., 1984. "Fed policy and presidential elections," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 79-88.
- Xavier Vives, 2001. "Restructuring Financial Regulation in the European Monetary Union," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 19(1), pages 57-82, February.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1998.
"Law and Finance,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(6), pages 1113-1155, December.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, . "Law and Finance," Working Paper 19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Ross Levine, 2003.
"Bank Supervision and Corporate Finance,"
NBER Working Papers
9620, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- de Luna Martinez, Jose & Rose, Thomas A., 2003. "International survey of integrated financial sector supervision," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3096, The World Bank.
- Goodhart, Charles & Schoenmaker, Dirk, 1995. "Should the Functions of Monetary Policy and Banking Supervision Be Separated?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(4), pages 539-60, October.
- Donato Masciandaro (ed.), 2005. "Handbook of Central Banking and Financial Authorities in Europe," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 3387, June.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 1999. "Bank-based and market-based financial systems - cross-country comparisons," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2143, The World Bank.
- Burkhard Drees & Ceyla Pazarbasioglu, 1998. "The Nordic Banking Crisis; Pitfalls in Financial Liberalization: Pitfalls in Financial Liberalization," IMF Occasional Papers 161, International Monetary Fund.
- Dirk Schoenmaker, 2005. "Central Banks and Financial Authorities in Europe: What Prospects?," Chapters, in: Handbook of Central Banking and Financial Authorities in Europe, chapter 16 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Andrew Kuritzkes & Til Schuermann & Scott M. Weiner, 2002. "Risk Measurement, Risk Management and Capital Adequacy in Financial Conglomerates," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 03-02, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Charles Goodhart & Dirk Schoenmaker & Paolo Dasgupta, 2002.
"The Skill Profile of Central Bankers and Supervisors,"
Review of Finance,
European Finance Association, vol. 6(3), pages 397-427.
- Dirk Schoenmaker & Paolo Dasgupta & Charles Goodhart, 2001. "The Skill Profile of Central Bankers and Supervisors," FMG Discussion Papers dp377, Financial Markets Group.
- Charles Goodhart & Dirk Schoenmaker & Paolo Dasgupta, 2001. "The skill profile of central bankers and supervisors," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 25052, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Taylor, Michael & Fleming, Alex, 1999. "Integrated financial supervision : lessons of Northern European experience," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2223, The World Bank.
- Andreas GrÃ¼nbichler, 2005. "Austria," Chapters, in: Handbook of Central Banking and Financial Authorities in Europe, chapter 6 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- David T. Llewellyn, 2005. "Integrated Agencies and the Role of Central Banks," Chapters, in: Handbook of Central Banking and Financial Authorities in Europe, chapter 4 Edward Elgar Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:openec:v:17:y:2006:i:1:p:73-102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.