The Investment Incentive Effects of Land Use Regulations
This paper provides an overview and synthesis of the results from recent studies of how different types of land use regulations affect land development incentives. The presentation is nontechnical and focuses on uncovering general principles for the dynamic effects of such policies. It explains why the risk of regulation leads to faster development of unregulated land and how the effect on structural densities reflects the underlying pattern of growth in the demand for land by competing uses. It also discusses how the general pattern of timing and density responses for regulated property reflect the same growth patterns in demand. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, Inc. 2005
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bohn, Henning & Deacon, Robert, 1997.
"Ownership Risk, Investment, and the Use of Natural Resources,"
dp-97-20, Resources For the Future.
- Robert T. Deacon & Henning Bohn, 2000. "Ownership Risk, Investment, and the Use of Natural Resources," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(3), pages 526-549, June.
- Turnbull, Geoffrey K., 2004. "Urban growth controls: transitional dynamics of development fees and growth boundaries," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 215-237, March.
- Anderson, John E., 1986. "Property taxes and the timing of urban land development," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 483-492, November.
- Thomas J Miceli & C. F Sirmans & Geoffrey K Turnbull, 2003. "Land Ownership Risk and Urban Development," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 73-94.
- Alchian, Armen A. & Demsetz, Harold, 1973. "The Property Right Paradigm," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(01), pages 16-27, March.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 1997. "Infrastructure financing and urban development:: The economics of impact fees," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(3), pages 383-407, December.
- Richard Arnott & Frank D. Lewis, 1977.
"The Transition of Land to Urban Use,"
267, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1986.
"Vacant land and the role of government intervention,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19877, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1986. "Vacant land and the role of government intervention," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 353-357, August.
- Matthew Baker & Thomas Miceli & C. F. Sirmans & Geoffrey K. Turnbull, 2001. "Property Rights by Squatting: Land Ownership Risk and Adverse Possession Statutes," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 77(3), pages 360-370.
- Wheaton, William C., 1982. "Urban residential growth under perfect foresight," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 1-21, July.
- Ellson, Richard & McDermott, John, 1987. "Zoning uncertainty and the urban land development firm," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 209-222, September.
- Lawrence Blume & Daniel L. Rubinfeld & Perry Shapiro, 1984. "The Taking of Land: When Should Compensation Be Paid?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 99(1), pages 71-92.
- Riddiough, Timothy J., 1997. "The Economic Consequences of Regulatory Taking Risk on Land Value and Development Activity," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 56-77, January.
- Besley, Timothy, 1995. "Property Rights and Investment Incentives: Theory and Evidence from Ghana," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(5), pages 903-37, October.
- Geoffrey K. Turnbull, 2002. "Land Development under the Threat of Taking," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 69(2), pages 290-308, October.
- Kanemoto, Yoshitsugu, 1985. "Housing as an asset and the effects of property taxation on the residential development process," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 145-166, March.
- Titman, Sheridan, 1985. "Urban Land Prices under Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 505-14, June.
- Geltner, David & Riddiough, Timothy & Stojanovic, Srdjan, 1996. "Insights on the Effect of Land Use Choice: The Perpetual Option on the Best of Two Underlying Assets," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 20-50, January.
- Fujita, Masahisa, 1982. "Spatial patterns of residential development," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 22-52, July.
- Miceli, Thomas J. & Sirmans, C. F. & Turnbull, Geoffrey K., 2000. "The Dynamic Effects of Land Title Systems," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 370-389, May.
- Turnbull, Geoffrey K., 1991. "A comparative dynamic analysis of zoning in a growing city," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 235-248, March.
- Mills, David E., 2001. "Land value taxation," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 765-770, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jrefec:v:31:y:2005:i:4:p:357-395. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.