Neutral Property Taxation
This paper investigates property tax systems (linear taxes on pre-development land value, post-development structure value, and post-development site value) from a partial equilibrium perspective. Particular attention is paid to characterizing property tax systems that are neutral with respect to the timing and density of development and to calculating the deadweight loss from non-neutral property tax systems.
|Date of creation:||02 Oct 1998|
|Note:||An earlier version of this paper was circulated as BC WP 352.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Boston College, 140 Commonwealth Avenue, Chestnut Hill MA 02467 USA|
Web page: http://fmwww.bc.edu/EC/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sweeney, James L., 1974. "A commodity hierarchy model of the rental housing market," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 288-323, July.
- Capozza, Dennis & Li, Yuming, 1994. "The Intensity and Timing of Investment: The Case of Land," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 889-904, September.
- Kanemoto, Yoshitsugu, 1985. "Housing as an asset and the effects of property taxation on the residential development process," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 145-166, March.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1964. "Tax Deductibility of Economic Depreciation to Insure Invariant Valuations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72, pages 604-604.
- Mills, David E., 2001. "Land value taxation," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 765-770, November.
- Bentick, Brian L, 1979. "The Impact of Taxation and Valuation Practices on the Timing and Efficiency of Land Use," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(4), pages 859-868, August.
- Richard Arnott & Frank D. Lewis, 1977.
"The Transition of Land to Urban Use,"
267, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Skouras, A, 1978. "The Non-Neutrality of Land Taxation," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 33(1-2), pages 113-134.
- Chinloy, Peter, 1979. "The estimation of net depreciation rates on housing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 432-443, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boc:bocoec:411. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.