Taxes and Fees as Forms of Land Use Regulation
In this article I expand on Turnbull’s presentation by highlighting two important aspects of regulations and their effects on land use. First, I summarize what we know about the dynamic effects of property taxation and discuss alternative tax regimes and their implications for land use. Second, I analyze the role of development impact fees and consider ways in which this new financing method may be rationalized. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, Inc. 2005
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John E. Anderson, 1993. "Use-Value Property Tax Assessment: Effects on Land Development," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 69(3), pages 263-269.
- Henderson, J. Vernon, 1994. "Community choice of revenue instruments," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 159-183, April.
- Bentick, Brian L, 1979. "The Impact of Taxation and Valuation Practices on the Timing and Efficiency of Land Use," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(4), pages 859-68, August.
- Jonathan C. Levine, 1994. "Equity in Infrastructure Finance: When Are Impact Fees Justified?," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 70(2), pages 210-222.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 1997. "Infrastructure financing and urban development:: The economics of impact fees," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(3), pages 383-407, December.
- Mills, David E., 2001. "Land value taxation," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 765-770, November.
- Arnott, Richard J & Lewis, Frank D, 1979.
"The Transition of Land to Urban Use,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(1), pages 161-69, February.
- Skouras, A, 1978. "The Non-Neutrality of Land Taxation," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 33(1-2), pages 113-34.
- Anderson, John E., 1986. "Property taxes and the timing of urban land development," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 483-492, November.
- Anderson, John E. & Griffing, Marlon F., 2000. "Use-Value Assessment Tax Expenditures in Urban Areas," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 443-452, November.
- Tavernier, Edmund M. & Li, Farong, 1995. "Effectiveness Of Use-Value Assessment In Preserving Farmland: A Search-Theoretic Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- Vernon Henderson, J., 1995. "Will homeowners impose property taxes?," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 153-181, April.
- Mills, David E., 1981. "Urban residential development timing," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 239-254, May.
- Larry D. Singell & Jane H. Lillydahl, 1990. "An Empirical Examination of the Effect of Impact Fees on the Housing Market," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 66(1), pages 82-92.
- Anderson, John E, 1999. "Two-Rate Property Tax Effects on Land Development," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 181-90, March.
- Yinger, John, 1998. "The Incidence of Development Fees and Special Assessments," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 51(n. 1), pages 23-41, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jrefec:v:31:y:2005:i:4:p:413-427. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.