Taxes and Fees as Forms of Land Use Regulation
In this article I expand on Turnbull’s presentation by highlighting two important aspects of regulations and their effects on land use. First, I summarize what we know about the dynamic effects of property taxation and discuss alternative tax regimes and their implications for land use. Second, I analyze the role of development impact fees and consider ways in which this new financing method may be rationalized. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, Inc. 2005
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 31 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/regional+science/journal/11146/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henderson, J. Vernon, 1994. "Community choice of revenue instruments," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 159-183, April.
- Yinger, John, 1998. "The Incidence of Development Fees and Special Assessments," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 51(1), pages 23-41, March.
- Vernon Henderson, J., 1995. "Will homeowners impose property taxes?," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 153-181, April.
- Tavernier, Edmund M. & Li, Farong, 1995. "Effectiveness of Use-value Assessment in Preserving Farmland: A Search-theoretic Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(02), pages 626-635, December.
- Anderson, John E, 1999. "Two-Rate Property Tax Effects on Land Development," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 181-190, March.
- Tavernier, Edmund M. & Li, Farong, 1995. "Effectiveness Of Use-Value Assessment In Preserving Farmland: A Search-Theoretic Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- Yinger, John, 1998. "The Incidence of Development Fees and Special Assessments," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 51(n. 1), pages 23-41, March.
- Mills, David E., 2001. "Land value taxation," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 765-770, November.
- Anderson, John E. & Griffing, Marlon F., 2000. "Use-Value Assessment Tax Expenditures in Urban Areas," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 443-452, November.
- John E. Anderson, 1993. "Use-Value Property Tax Assessment: Effects on Land Development," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 69(3), pages 263-269.
- Jonathan C. Levine, 1994. "Equity in Infrastructure Finance: When Are Impact Fees Justified?," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 70(2), pages 210-222.
- Anderson, John E., 1986. "Property taxes and the timing of urban land development," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 483-492, November.
- Larry D. Singell & Jane H. Lillydahl, 1990. "An Empirical Examination of the Effect of Impact Fees on the Housing Market," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 66(1), pages 82-92.
- Mills, David E., 1981. "Urban residential development timing," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 239-254, May.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 1997. "Infrastructure financing and urban development:: The economics of impact fees," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(3), pages 383-407, December.
- Bentick, Brian L, 1979. "The Impact of Taxation and Valuation Practices on the Timing and Efficiency of Land Use," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(4), pages 859-868, August.
- Richard Arnott & Frank D. Lewis, 1977.
"The Transition of Land to Urban Use,"
267, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Skouras, A, 1978. "The Non-Neutrality of Land Taxation," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 33(1-2), pages 113-134.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jrefec:v:31:y:2005:i:4:p:413-427. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.