Managerial characteristics and entrepreneurial internationalization: A study of Tunisian SMEs
Growing internationalization has sparked increasing interest in any factor which could strengthen a firm’s ability to develop a long-term competitive edge. One of the main factors which determine a firm’s international behavior is the characteristics of its management team. The aim of this paper is to shed light on the relationship between the management team’s characteristics and factors which favor a company’s development by examining the causal effects of managerial characteristics on innovative behavior of small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) seeking international market expansion. The conceptual model and its hypotheses are tested through an empirical study of a multi-industry sample of Tunisian SMEs. To our knowledge, this present study is the first to include Islamic ethics as a determining factor on managers’ behaviors as their companies enter the international market. Obtained by structural equation modeling technique, the key findings of this research show that personality traits, mental ability, and social networks of managers have a direct impact on a firm’s behavior as it enters the international context. Results also show that Islamic ethics seem to favor a creative context for innovative ideas in both local and foreign markets. Given the importance of the results analyzed, it could be suggested that Islamic ethics in organizations be implemented as a part of the education system in all Islamic societies. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media New York 2014
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 12 (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/business+%26+management/entrepreneurship/journal/10843/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier CADOT & Ana FERNANDES & Julien GOURDON & Aaditya MATTOO, 2013.
"Are the Benefits of Export Support Durable? Evidence from Tunisia,"
- Cadot, Olivier & Fernandes, Ana M. & Gourdon, Julien & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2015. "Are the benefits of export support durable? Evidence from Tunisia," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 310-324.
- Cadot, Olivier & Fernandes, Ana & Gourdon, Julien & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2013. "Are the Benefits of Export Support Durable? Evidence from Tunisia," CEPR Discussion Papers 9758, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olivier Cadot & Ana M. Fernandes & Julien Gourdon & Aaditya Mattoo, 2012. "Are the Benefits of Export Support Durable? Evidence from Tunisia," Working Papers 2012-30, CEPII research center.
- Olivier CADOT & Ana FERNANDES & Julien GOURDON & Aaditya MATTOO, 2013. "Are the Benefits of Export Support Durable? Evidence from Tunisia," Working Papers P80, FERDI.
- Cadot, Olivier & Fernandes, Ana M. & Gourdon, Julien & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2012. "Are the benefits of export support durable ? evidence from Tunisia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6295, The World Bank.
- Javalgi, Rajshekhar (Raj) G. & Todd, Patricia R., 2011. "Entrepreneurial orientation, management commitment, and human capital: The internationalization of SMEs in India," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(9), pages 1004-1010, September.
- Greve, Arent, 1995. "Networks and entrepreneurship -- an analysis of social relations, occupational background, and use of contacts during the establishment process," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 1-24, March.
- E Vatne, 1995. "Local resource mobilisation and internationalisation strategies in small and medium sized enterprises," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 27(1), pages 63-80, January.
- Cooke, Philip & Wills, David, 1999. "Small Firms, Social Capital and the Enhancement of Business Performance through Innovation Programmes," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 219-34, November.
- Håkanson, Lars & Ambos, Björn, 2010. "The antecedents of psychic distance," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 195-210, September.
- Kanazawa, Satoshi & Savage, Joanne, 2009. "An evolutionary psychological perspective on social capital," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 873-883, December.
- Svante Andersson & Henrik Florén, 2011. "Differences in managerial behavior between small international and non-international firms," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 233-258, September.
- Bhagavatula, Suresh & Elfring, Tom & van Tilburg, Aad & van de Bunt, Gerhard G., 2010. "How social and human capital influence opportunity recognition and resource mobilization in India's handloom industry," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 245-260, May.
- Herron, Lanny & Robinson, Richard Jr., 1993. "A structural model of the effects of entrepreneurial characteristics on venture performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 281-294, May.
- Majbritt Evald & Kim Klyver & Poul Christensen, 2011. "The effect of human capital, social capital, and perceptual values on nascent entrepreneurs’ export intentions," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Lin, Wen-Ting, 2012. "Family ownership and internationalization processes: Internationalization pace, internationalization scope, and internationalization rhythm," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 47-56.
- Akcomak, Semih & ter Weel, Bas, 2006.
"Social Capital, Innovation and Growth: Evidence from Europe,"
MERIT Working Papers
040, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Akçomak, I. Semih & ter Weel, Bas, 2009. "Social capital, innovation and growth: Evidence from Europe," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 53(5), pages 544-567, July.
- Akçomak, I. Semih & ter Weel, Bas, 2008. "Social Capital, Innovation and Growth: Evidence from Europe," IZA Discussion Papers 3341, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Anderson, Alistair R. & Miller, Claire J., 2003. ""Class matters": human and social capital in the entrepreneurial process," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 17-36, March.
- Ardichvili, Alexander & Cardozo, Richard & Ray, Sourav, 2003. "A theory of entrepreneurial opportunity identification and development," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 105-123, January.
- Prashantham, Shameen, 2008. "New venture internationalization as strategic renewal," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 378-387, December.
- Davidsson, Per & Honig, Benson, 2003. "The role of social and human capital among nascent entrepreneurs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 301-331, May.
- Westhead, Paul & Wright, Mike & Ucbasaran, Deniz, 2001. "The internationalization of new and small firms: A resource-based view," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 333-358, July.
- Hoang, Ha & Antoncic, Bostjan, 2003. "Network-based research in entrepreneurship: A critical review," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 165-187, March.
- K. Jöreskog, 1971. "Statistical analysis of sets of congeneric tests," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 36(2), pages 109-133, June.
- Ciavarella, Mark A. & Buchholtz, Ann K. & Riordan, Christine M. & Gatewood, Robert D. & Stokes, Garnett S., 2004. "The Big Five and venture survival: Is there a linkage?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 465-483, July.
- Tony Thistoll & David Pauleen, 2010. "Commercialising innovation internationally: A case study of social network and relationship management," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 36-54, March.
- Marian V Jones & Nicole E Coviello, 2005. "Internationalisation: conceptualising an entrepreneurial process of behaviour in time," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 36(3), pages 284-303, May.
- Kuran, Timur, 1996. "The Discontents of Islamic Economic Morality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 438-42, May.
- Prange, Christiane & Verdier, Sylvie, 2011. "Dynamic capabilities, internationalization processes and performance," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 126-133, January.
- Massimiliano Mazzanti & Giulio Cainelli & Susanna Mancinelli, 2005.
"Social Capital, R&D and Industrial Districts,"
2005.84, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Jones, Marian V., 2001. "First steps in internationalisation: Concepts and evidence from a sample of small high-technology firms," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 191-210.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jinten:v:12:y:2014:i:1:p:8-42. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.