The relationship between reviewer judgments and motion picture success: re-analysis and extension
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Anita Elberse & Jehoshua Eliashberg, 2003. "Demand and Supply Dynamics for Sequentially Released Products in International Markets: The Case of Motion Pictures," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(3), pages 329-354.
- David A. Reinstein & Christopher M. Snyder, 2005. "THE INFLUENCE OF EXPERT REVIEWS ON CONSUMER DEMAND FOR EXPERIENCE GOODS: A CASE STUDY OF MOVIE CRITICS -super-," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 27-51, March.
- Ravid, S Abraham, 1999. "Information, Blockbusters, and Stars: A Study of the Film Industry," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72(4), pages 463-492, October.
- W. D. Walls & A. DeVany, "undated". "Big budgets, big openings, and legs: Analysis of the blockbuster strategy," Working Papers 2014-57, Department of Economics, University of Calgary, revised 23 Sep 2014.
- repec:eee:ijrema:v:28:y:2011:i:1:p:62-74 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:ijrema:v:26:y:2009:i:3:p:168-179 is not listed on IDEAS
- Stephanie Brewer & Jason Kelley & James Jozefowicz, 2009. "A blueprint for success in the US film industry," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(5), pages 589-606.
- Caroline Elliott & Rob Simmons, 2008. "Determinants of UK Box Office Success: The Impact of Quality Signals," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 33(2), pages 93-111, September.
- Timothy King, 2007. "Does film criticism affect box office earnings? Evidence from movies released in the U.S. in 2003," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 31(3), pages 171-186, September.
- S. Ravid & John Wald & Suman Basuroy, 2006. "Distributors and film critics: does it take two to Tango?," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 30(3), pages 201-218, December.
- Bikhchandani, Sushil & Hirshleifer, David & Welch, Ivo, 1992.
"A Theory of Fads, Fashion, Custom, and Cultural Change in Informational Cascades,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(5), pages 992-1026, October.
- Sushil Bikhchandani & David Hirshleifer & Ivo Welch, 2010. "A theory of Fads, Fashion, Custom and cultural change as informational Cascades," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1193, David K. Levine.
- Alan Collins & Chris Hand & Martin C. Snell, 2002.
"What makes a blockbuster? Economic analysis of film success in the United Kingdom,"
Managerial and Decision Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(6), pages 343-354.
- Collins, A. & Hand, C. & Snell, M.C., 2001. "What Makes a Blockbuster? Economic Analysis of Film Success in the United Kingdom," Papers 137, Portsmouth University - Department of Economics.
- West, Patricia M & Broniarczyk, Susan M, 1998. " Integrating Multiple Opinions: The Role of Aspiration Level on Consumer Response to Critic Consensus," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(1), pages 38-51, June.
- Elberse, Anita & Anand, Bharat, 2007. "The effectiveness of pre-release advertising for motion pictures: An empirical investigation using a simulated market," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 319-343, October.
- Morris Holbrook, 2005. "The Role of Ordinary Evaluations in the Market for Popular Culture: Do Consumers Have “Good Taste”?," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 75-86, April.
- Arthur De Vany & W. David Walls, 2002.
"Does Hollywood Make Too Many R-Rated Movies? Risk, Stochastic Dominance, and the Illusion of Expectation,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(3), pages 425-452, July.
- De Vany, A. & Walls, W.D., 2000. "Does Hollywood make too many R-Rated Movies? Risk, Stochastic Dominance, and the Illusion of Expectation," Papers 99-00-24, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Christian Jansen, 2005. "The Performance of German Motion Pictures, Profits and Subsidies: Some Empirical Evidence," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 29(3), pages 191-212, August.
- Gerda Gemser & Martine Oostrum & Mark Leenders, 2007. "The impact of film reviews on the box office performance of art house versus mainstream motion pictures," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 31(1), pages 43-63, March.
- Holbrook, Morris B, 1999. " Popular Appeal versus Expert Judgments of Motion Pictures," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(2), pages 144-155, September.
- Peter Boatwright & Suman Basuroy & Wagner Kamakura, 2007. "Reviewing the reviewers: The impact of individual film critics on box office performance," Quantitative Marketing and Economics (QME), Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 401-425, December.
- Mohanbir S. Sawhney & Jehoshua Eliashberg, 1996. "A Parsimonious Model for Forecasting Gross Box-Office Revenues of Motion Pictures," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(2), pages 113-131.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:bla:coecpo:v:35:y:2017:i:2:p:269-277 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:ijrema:v:33:y:2016:i:2:p:357-374 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:ijrema:v:34:y:2017:i:2:p:336-354 is not listed on IDEAS
- Frederick Derrick & Nancy Williams & Charles Scott, 2014. "A two-stage proxy variable approach to estimating movie box office receipts," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 38(2), pages 173-189, May.
- repec:eee:ijrema:v:33:y:2016:i:1:p:140-154 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:ijrema:v:33:y:2016:i:2:p:375-391 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:ijrema:v:34:y:2017:i:2:p:442-461 is not listed on IDEAS
More about this item
KeywordsMotion pictures; Professional movie reviews; Experience goods; Creative products; Box office; Mainstream; Art house; Moderation; L82; M31;
- L82 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Entertainment; Media
- M31 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting; Personnel Economics - - Marketing and Advertising - - - Marketing
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jculte:v:36:y:2012:i:3:p:249-283. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.