Market conditions and general practitioners’ referrals
We study how market conditions in?uence referrals of patients by general practitioners (GPs). We set up a model of GP referral for the Norwegian health care system, where a GP receives capitation payment based on the number of patients in his practice, as well as fee-for-service reimbursements. A GP may accept new patients or close the practice to new patients. We model GPs as partially altruistic, and compete for patients. We show that a GP operating in a more competitive market refers more. To retain patients in his practice, a GP satis?es patients' requests for referrals. Furthermore, a GP who faces patient shortage will refer more often than a GP who has enough patients. More referrals may add to pro?ts from future treatments. Using data of radiology referrals by GPs in Norway, we test and confirm our theory.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 11 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=106603|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pau Olivella Cunill & Pedro Pita Barros, 2000.
"Waiting Lists and Patient Selection,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0283, Econometric Society.
- Pedro Pita Barros & Pau Olivella, . "Waiting Lists And Patient Selection," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 444.99, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Barros, Pedro Luis Pita, 2000. "Waiting Lists and Patient Selection," CEPR Discussion Papers 2519, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Odd Rune Straume & Kurt Brekke & Robert Nuscheler, 2004.
"Gatekeeping In Health Care,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004
83, Royal Economic Society.
- McGuire, Thomas G., 2000. "Physician agency," Handbook of Health Economics, in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 9, pages 461-536 Elsevier.
- James Malcomson, 2003.
"Health Service Gatekeepers,"
Economics Series Working Papers
169, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Godager, Geir & Iversen, Tor & Ma , Ching-To Albert, 2009.
"Service motives and profit incentives among physicans,"
HERO On line Working Paper Series
2007:4, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Geir Godager & Tor Iversen & Ching-To Ma, 2009. "Service motives and profit incentives among physicians," International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 39-57, March.
- Greir Godager & Tor Iversen & Ching-to Albert Ma, 2007. "Service Motives And Profit Incentives Among Physicians," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2007-042, Boston University - Department of Economics, revised Sep 2007.
- Pedro P. Barras & Xavier Martinez-Giralt, .
"Public And Private Provision Of Healtch Care,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
438.99, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Lise Rochaix, 1993. "Financial incentives for physicians: The Quebec experience," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(2), pages 163-176, 07.
- Marie Allard & Izabela Jelovac & Pierre-Thomas Léger, 2011.
"Treatment and referral decisions under different physician payment mechanisms,"
- Allard, Marie & Jelovac, Izabela & Léger, Pierre Thomas, 2011. "Treatment and referral decisions under different physician payment mechanisms," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 880-893.
- Croxson, B. & Propper, C. & Perkins, A., 2001. "Do doctors respond to financial incentives? UK family doctors and the GP fundholder scheme," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 375-398, February.
- Glied, Sherry, 2000. "Managed care," Handbook of Health Economics, in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 13, pages 707-753 Elsevier.
- John List & Matti Liski, 2005. "Introduction," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 31(2), pages 121-121, 06.
- A. Michael Spence, 1975. "Monopoly, Quality, and Regulation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 6(2), pages 417-429, Autumn.
- Paula González, 2010.
"Gatekeeping versus direct-access when patient information matters,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(6), pages 730-754.
- Paula González, 2008. "Gatekeeping versus Direct-Access when Patient Information Matters," Working Papers 2008-05, FEDEA.
- Gary Biglaiser & Ching-to Albert Ma, 2007.
"Moonlighting: public service and private practice,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 38(4), pages 1113-1133, December.
- Gary Biglaiser & Ching-to Albert Ma, 2006. "Moonlighting: Public Service and Private Practice," Working Papers 12, Portuguese Competition Authority.
- Gary Biglaiser & Ching-to Albert Ma, 2006. "Moonlighting: Public Service and Private Practice," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2006-015, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Paula González, 2006.
"The Gatekeeping Role of General Practitioners. Does Patients' Information Matter?,"
06.09, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- GONZALEZ, Paula, 2003. "The "gatekeeping" role of general practitioners. Does patients' information matter ?," CORE Discussion Papers 2003089, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Paula González, 2004. "Should physicians' dual practice be limited? An incentive approach," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(6), pages 505-524.
- Ching-To Albert Ma & Thomas G. Mcguire, 2002.
"Network Incentives in Managed Health Care,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 1-35, 03.
- Dusheiko, Mark & Gravelle, Hugh & Jacobs, Rowena & Smith, Peter, 2006. "The effect of financial incentives on gatekeeping doctors: Evidence from a natural experiment," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 449-478, May.
- Fang, Hai & Rizzo, John A., 2009. "Competition and physician-enabled demand: The role of managed care," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 463-474, October.
- Propper, Carol & Burgess, Simon & Green, Katherine, 2004. "Does competition between hospitals improve the quality of care?: Hospital death rates and the NHS internal market," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(7-8), pages 1247-1272, July.
- Stephen C. Earwicker & David K. Whynes, 1998. "General practitioners' referral thresholds and choices of referral destination: an experimental study," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(8), pages 711-722.
- Tor Iversen & Hilde Lurås, 2000. "The effect of capitation on GPs' referral decisions," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(3), pages 199-210.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:ijhcfe:v:11:y:2011:i:4:p:245-265. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.