Market conditions and general practitioners’ referrals
We study how market conditions influence referrals of patients by general practitioners (GPs).We set up a model ofGP referral for theNorwegian health care system, where a GP receives capitation payment based on the number of patients in his practice, as well as fee-for-service reimbursements. A GP may accept new patients or close the practice to new patients. We model GPs as partially altruistic, and compete for patients. We show that a GP operating in a more competitive market has a higher referral rate. To compete for patients and to retain them, a GP satisfies patients’ requests for referrals. Furthermore, a GP who faces a patient shortage will refer more often than a GP who does not. Tests with Norwegian GP radiology referral data support our theory.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 11 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=106603|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pedro Pita Barros & Pau Olivella, 2005.
"Waiting Lists and Patient Selection,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(3), pages 623-646, 09.
- Pedro Pita Barros & Pau Olivella, . "Waiting Lists And Patient Selection," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 444.99, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Barros, Pedro Luis Pita, 2000. "Waiting Lists and Patient Selection," CEPR Discussion Papers 2519, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pau Olivella Cunill & Pedro Pita Barros, 2000. "Waiting Lists and Patient Selection," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0283, Econometric Society.
- Tor Iversen & Hilde Lurås, 2000. "The effect of capitation on GPs' referral decisions," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(3), pages 199-210.
- Ching-to Albert Ma & Thomas G. McGuire, 1998.
"Network Incentives in Managed Health Care,"
0094, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Gary Biglaiser & Ching-to Albert Ma, 2007.
"Moonlighting: public service and private practice,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 38(4), pages 1113-1133, December.
- Gary Biglaiser & Ching-to Albert Ma, 2006. "Moonlighting: Public Service and Private Practice," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2006-015, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Gary Biglaiser & Ching-to Albert Ma, 2006. "Moonlighting: Public Service and Private Practice," Working Papers 12, Portuguese Competition Authority.
- Greir Godager & Tor Iversen & Ching-to Albert Ma, 2007.
"Service Motives And Profit Incentives Among Physicians,"
Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
WP2007-042, Boston University - Department of Economics, revised Sep 2007.
- Geir Godager & Tor Iversen & Ching-To Ma, 2009. "Service motives and profit incentives among physicians," International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 39-57, March.
- Godager, Geir & Iversen, Tor & Ma , Ching-To Albert, 2009. "Service motives and profit incentives among physicans," HERO On line Working Paper Series 2007:4, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Dusheiko, Mark & Gravelle, Hugh & Jacobs, Rowena & Smith, Peter, 2006. "The effect of financial incentives on gatekeeping doctors: Evidence from a natural experiment," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 449-478, May.
- Croxson, B. & Propper, C. & Perkins, A., 2001. "Do doctors respond to financial incentives? UK family doctors and the GP fundholder scheme," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 375-398, February.
- Paula González, 2006.
"The Gatekeeping Role of General Practitioners. Does Patients' Information Matter?,"
06.09, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- GONZALEZ, Paula, 2003. "The "gatekeeping" role of general practitioners. Does patients' information matter ?," CORE Discussion Papers 2003089, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pedro P. Barras & Xavier Martinez-Giralt, .
"Public And Private Provision Of Healtch Care,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
438.99, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Allard, Marie & Jelovac, Izabela & Léger, Pierre Thomas, 2011.
"Treatment and referral decisions under different physician payment mechanisms,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 880-893.
- Marie Allard & Izabela Jelovac & Pierre-Thomas Léger, 2011. "Treatment and referral decisions under different physician payment mechanisms," Post-Print halshs-00650933, HAL.
- Stephen C. Earwicker & David K. Whynes, 1998. "General practitioners' referral thresholds and choices of referral destination: an experimental study," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(8), pages 711-722.
- James Malcomson, 2003.
"Health Service Gatekeepers,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1063, CESifo Group Munich.
- Propper, Carol & Burgess, Simon & Green, Katherine, 2004. "Does competition between hospitals improve the quality of care?: Hospital death rates and the NHS internal market," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(7-8), pages 1247-1272, July.
- Glied, Sherry, 2000. "Managed care," Handbook of Health Economics, in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 13, pages 707-753 Elsevier.
- Paula González, 2010.
"Gatekeeping versus direct-access when patient information matters,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(6), pages 730-754.
- Paula González, 2008. "Gatekeeping versus Direct-Access when Patient Information Matters," Working Papers 2008-05, FEDEA.
- John List & Matti Liski, 2005. "Introduction," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 31(2), pages 121-121, 06.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Robert Nuscheler & Odd Rune Straume, 2005.
"Gatekeeping in Health Care,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1552, CESifo Group Munich.
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Nuscheler, Robert, 2003. "Gatekeeping in health care," Working Papers in Economics 10/03, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Odd Rune Straume & Kurt Brekke & Robert Nuscheler, 2004. "Gatekeeping In Health Care," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 83, Royal Economic Society.
- Fang, Hai & Rizzo, John A., 2009. "Competition and physician-enabled demand: The role of managed care," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 463-474, October.
- Paula González, 2004. "Should physicians' dual practice be limited? An incentive approach," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(6), pages 505-524.
- McGuire, Thomas G., 2000. "Physician agency," Handbook of Health Economics, in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 9, pages 461-536 Elsevier.
- A. Michael Spence, 1975. "Monopoly, Quality, and Regulation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 6(2), pages 417-429, Autumn.
- Lise Rochaix, 1993. "Financial incentives for physicians: The Quebec experience," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(2), pages 163-176, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:ijhcfe:v:11:y:2011:i:4:p:245-265. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.