A Theoretical Approach to Dual Practice Regulations in the Health Sector
Internationally, there is wide cross-country heterogeneity in government responses to dual practice in the health sector. This paper provides a uniform theoretical framework to analyze and compare some of the most common regulations. We focus on three interventions: banning dual practice, offering rewarding contracts to public physicians, and limiting dual practice (including both limits to private earnings of dual providers and limits to involvement in private activities). An ancillary objective of the paper is to investigate whether regulations that are optimal for developed countries are adequate for developing countries as well. Our results offer theoretical support for the desirability of different regulations in different economic environments.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Carretera de Utrera km.1, 41013 Sevilla|
Phone: + 34 954 34 8913
Fax: + 34 954 34 9339
Web page: http://www.upo.es/econ/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barros, Pedro Luis Pita, 2000.
"Waiting Lists and Patient Selection,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2519, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pedro Pita Barros & Pau Olivella, . "Waiting Lists And Patient Selection," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 444.99, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Pau Olivella Cunill & Pedro Pita Barros, 2000. "Waiting Lists and Patient Selection," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0283, Econometric Society.
- Paula González, 2005. "On a policy of transferring public patients to private practice," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(5), pages 513-527.
- Auriol, Emmanuelle & Picard, Pierre M., 2006.
"Infrastructure and public utilities privatization in developing countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3950, The World Bank.
- Emmanuelle Auriol & Pierre M. Picard, 2008. "Infrastructure and Public Utilities Privatization in Developing Countries," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 23(1), pages 77-100, November.
- Auriol, Emmanuelle & Picard, Pierre M, 2006. "Infrastructure and Public Utilities Privatization in Developing Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 6018, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- AURIOL, Emmanuelle & PICARD, Pierre M., . "Infrastructure and public utilities privatization in developing countries," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2180, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Kurt R. Brekke & Lars Sørgard, 2007.
"Public versus private health care in a national health service,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(6), pages 579-601.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Lars Sørgard, 2006. "Public versus Private Health Care in a National Health Service," CESifo Working Paper Series 1679, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pedro Pita Barros & Xavier Martinez-Giralt, 2002.
"Public and Private Provision of Health Care,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 109-133, 03.
- Pedro P. Barras & Xavier Martinez-Giralt, . "Public And Private Provision Of Healtch Care," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 438.99, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Barros, Pedro Luis Pita & Martinez-Giralt, Xavier, 2000. "Public and Private Provision of Health Care," CEPR Discussion Papers 2491, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Milgrom, Paul, 1991. "Multitask Principal-Agent Analyses: Incentive Contracts, Asset Ownership, and Job Design," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(0), pages 24-52, Special I.
- Socha, Karolina Z. & Bech, Mickael, 2011. "Physician dual practice: A review of literature," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 102(1), pages 1-7, September.
- Adolf Stepan & Margit Sommersguter-Reichmann, 2005. "Monitoring political decision-making and its impact in Austria," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(S1), pages S7-S23.
- Gary Biglaiser & Ching-to Albert Ma, 2007.
"Moonlighting: public service and private practice,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 38(4), pages 1113-1133, December.
- Gary Biglaiser & Ching-to Albert Ma, 2006. "Moonlighting: Public Service and Private Practice," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2006-015, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Gary Biglaiser & Ching-to Albert Ma, 2006. "Moonlighting: Public Service and Private Practice," Working Papers 12, Portuguese Competition Authority.
- David H. Peters & Abdo S. Yazbeck & Rashmi R. Sharma & G. N. V. Ramana & Lant H. Pritchett & Adam Wagstaff, 2002. "Better Health Systems for India's Poor : Findings, Analysis, and Options," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14080, June.
- Gruen, Reinhold & Anwar, Raqibul & Begum, Tahmina & Killingsworth, James R. & Normand, Charles, 2002. "Dual job holding practitioners in Bangladesh: an exploration," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 267-279, January.
- Maurice March & Fred Schroyen, 2005. "Can a Mixed Health Care System be Desirable on Equity Grounds?," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 107(1), pages 1-23, 03.
- Iversen, Tor, 1997. "The effect of a private sector on the waiting time in a national health service," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 381-396, August.
- Paula González, 2004. "Should physicians' dual practice be limited? An incentive approach," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(6), pages 505-524.
- Snow, Arthur & Warren, Ronald Jr., 1996. "The marginal welfare cost of public funds: Theory and estimates," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 289-305, August.
- George France & Francesco Taroni & Andrea Donatini, 2005. "The Italian health-care system," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(S1), pages S187-S202.
- Eggleston, Karen & Bir, Anupa, 2006. "Physician dual practice," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 78(2-3), pages 157-166, October.
- Rickman, Neil & McGuire, Alistair, 1999. "Regulating Providers' Reimbursement in a Mixed Market for Health Care," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 46(1), pages 53-71, February.
- Miriam M. Wiley, 2005. "The Irish health system: developments in strategy, structure, funding and delivery since 1980," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(S1), pages S169-S186.
- Garcia-Prado, Ariadna & Gonzalez, Paula, 2007. "Policy and regulatory responses to dual practice in the health sector," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 84(2-3), pages 142-152, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pab:wpaper:11.01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publicación Digital - UPO)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.