Testing for Unit Roots in Panel Data Using a Wavelet Ratio Method
For testing unit root in single time series, most tests concentrate on the time domain. Recently, Fan and Gençay (Econom Theory 26:1305–1331, 2010 ) proposed a wavelet ratio test which took advantage of the information from the frequency domain by using a wavelet spectrum methodology. This test shows a better power than many time domain based unit root tests including the Dickey–Fuller (J Am Stat Assoc 74:427–431, 1979 ) type of test in the univariate time series case. On the other hand, various unit root tests in multivariate time series have appeared since the pioneering work of Levin and Lin (Unit root test in panel data: new results, University of California at San Diego, Discussion Paper, 1993 ). Among them, the Im–Pesaran–Shin (IPS) (J Econ 115(1):53–74, 1997 ) test is widely used for its straightforward implementation and robustness to heterogeneity. The IPS test is a group mean test which uses the average of the test statistics for each single series. As the test statistics in each series can be flexible, this paper will apply the wavelet ratio statistic to give a comparison with the test by using Dickey–Fuller t statistic in the single series. Simulation results show a gain in power by employing the wavelet ratio test instead of the Dickey–Fuller t statistic in the panel data case. As the IPS test is sensitive to cross sectional dependence, we further compare the robustness of both test statistics when there exists cross correctional dependence among the units in the panel data. Finally we apply a residual based wavestrapping methodology to reduce the over biased size problem brought up by the cross correlation for both test statistics. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC. 2013
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100248|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fan, Yanqin & Gençay, Ramazan, 2010.
"Unit Root Tests With Wavelets,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(05), pages 1305-1331, October.
- Chang, Yoosoon, 2004.
"Bootstrap unit root tests in panels with cross-sectional dependency,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 263-293, June.
- Yoosoon Chang, 2000. "Bootstrap Unit Root Tests in Panels with Cross-Sectional Dependency," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1585, Econometric Society.
- Yoosoon Chang, 2000. "Bootstrap Unit Root Tests in Panels with Cross-Sectional Dependency," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1251, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Chang, Yoosoon, 2002. "Bootstrap Unit Root Tests in Panels with Cross-Sectional Dependency," Working Papers 2000-01, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 2001.
"LAG Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1519-1554, November.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 1997. "Lag Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 369, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2000.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2007.
"A simple panel unit root test in the presence of cross-section dependence,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 265-312.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2003. "A Simple Panel Unit Root Test in the Presence of Cross Section Dependence," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0346, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Christophe Hurlin & Valérie Mignon, 2007. "Second Generation Panel Unit Root Tests," Working Papers halshs-00159842, HAL.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Donggyu Sul, 2003. "Dynamic panel estimation and homogeneity testing under cross section dependence *," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 6(1), pages 217-259, 06.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Palm, Franz C. & Smeekes, Stephan & Urbain, Jean-Pierre, 2011.
"Cross-sectional dependence robust block bootstrap panel unit root tests,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 163(1), pages 85-104, July.
- Palm Franz C. & Smeekes Stephan & Urbain Jean-Pierre, 2008. "Cross-Sectional Dependence Robust Block Bootstrap Panel Unit Root Tests," Research Memorandum 048, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2001.
"A PANIC Attack on Unit Roots and Cointegration,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
519, Boston College Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:compec:v:41:y:2013:i:1:p:59-69. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.