Immigration Versus Outsourcing: A Developing Country¡¯S View
This paper provides a comparative study between temporary immigration policy and product outsourcing process, from the low-income developing country¡¯s point of view, which is supply side constrained by the availability of skilled labour. A two-country general equilibrium model establishes an inverse relationship between temporary immigration quota and product outsourcing. Though temporary immigration quota enhances world welfare and the developed country welfare, its impact on welfare level of the developing country is uncertain. In the empirical part, a panel data analysis shows that real consumption level of a set of developing countries increases with an increase in product outsourcing, given an inverse relationship between product outsourcing and temporary immigration policy.
Volume (Year): 37 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.jed.or.kr/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sébastien Jean & Miguel Jimenez, 2007.
"The Unemployment Impact of Immigration in OECD Countries,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
563, OECD Publishing.
- Jean, Sébastien & Jiménez, Miguel, 2011. "The unemployment impact of immigration in OECD countries," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 241-256, June.
- Sébastien Jean & Miguel Jiménez, 2011. "The unemployment impact of immigration in OECD countries," Post-Print hal-01000444, HAL.
- M. Daniele Paserman & Sarit Cohen-Goldner, 2010.
"The dynamic impact of immigration on natives' labor market outcomes: Evidence from Israel,"
Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
WP2010-046, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Cohen-Goldner, Sarit & Paserman, M. Daniele, 2011. "The dynamic impact of immigration on natives' labor market outcomes: Evidence from Israel," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 55(8), pages 1027-1045.
- Cohen-Goldner, Sarit & Paserman, M. Daniele, 2004. "The Dynamic Impact of Immigration on Natives' Labour Market Outcomes: Evidence from Israel," CEPR Discussion Papers 4640, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cohen Goldner, Sarit & Paserman, M. Daniele, 2004. "The Dynamic Impact of Immigration on Natives' Labor Market Outcomes: Evidence from Israel," IZA Discussion Papers 1315, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Subhayu Bandyopadhyay & Howard J. Wall, 2010.
"Immigration and Outsourcing: A General-Equilibrium Analysis,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(s1), pages 433-446, 08.
- Subhayu Bandyopadhyay & Howard J. Wall, 2005. "Immigration and Outsourcing: A General Equilibrium Analysis," Working Papers 05-08 Classification-, Department of Economics, West Virginia University.
- Subhayu Bandoyopadhyay & Howard J. Wall, 2006. "Immigration and Outsourcing: A General Equilibrium Analysis," Working Papers 06-15 Classification-, Department of Economics, West Virginia University.
- Bandyopadhyay, Subhayu & Wall, Howard J., 2005. "Immigration and Outsourcing: A General Equilibrium Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 1694, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Subhayu Bandyopadhyay & Howard J. Wall, 2007. "Immigration and outsourcing: a general equilibrium analysis," Working Papers 2005-058, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Dibyendu Maiti & Sugata Marjit, 2011. "Subcontracting, R&D And Labour Productivity: A Theoretical Explanation," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 36(3), pages 1-24, September.
- Jonathan Wadsworth & Augustin de Coulon, 2008.
"On the Relative Gains to Immigration: A Comparison of the Labour Market Position of Indians in the USA, the UK and India,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0851, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Augustin De Coulon & Jonathan Wadsworth, 2008. "On the relative gains to immigration: a comparison of the labour market position of Indians in the USA, the UK and India," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19634, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Bandyopadhyay, Subhayu & Marjit, Sugata & Yang, Lei, 2011.
"An Evaluation of the Employment Effects of Barriers to Outsourcing,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5426, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Subhayu Bandyopadhyay & Sugata Marjit & Lei Yang, 2010. "An evaluation of the employment effects of barriers to outsourcing," Working Papers 2010-030, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Jansen, Marion & Piermartini, Roberta, 2005.
"The Impact of Mode 4 Liberalization on Bilateral Trade Flows,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5382, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roberta Piermartini & Marion Jansen, 2005. "The Impact of Mode 4 Liberalization on Bilateral Trade Flows," Working Papers id:290, eSocialSciences.
- Jansen, Marion & Piermartini, Roberta, 2005. "The impact of Mode 4 liberalization on bilateral trade flows," WTO Staff Working Papers ERSD-2005-06, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Michael Engman, 2007. "Expanding International Supply Chains: The Role of Emerging Economies in Providing it and Business Process Services," OECD Trade Policy Papers 52, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jed:journl:v:37:y:2012:i:2:p:109-138. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.