Research Note---Do Large Firms Become Smaller by Using Information Technology?
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- repec:ucp:bknber:9780226304557 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paul Osterman, 1986. "The Impact of Computers on the Employment of Clerks and Managers," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 39(2), pages 175-186, January.
- Peter Weill, 1992. "The Relationship Between Investment in Information Technology and Firm Performance: A Study of the Valve Manufacturing Sector," Information Systems Research, INFORMS, vol. 3(4), pages 307-333, December.
- George P. Huber, 1984. "The Nature and Design of Post-Industrial Organizations," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(8), pages 928-951, August.
- Daniel Robey & Marie-Claude Boudreau, 1999. "Accounting for the Contradictory Organizational Consequences of Information Technology: Theoretical Directions and Methodological Implications," Information Systems Research, INFORMS, vol. 10(2), pages 167-185, June.
- Berndt, Ernst R. & Morrison, Catherine J., 1995.
"High-tech capital formation and economic performance in U.S. manufacturing industries An exploratory analysis,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 9-43, January.
- Berndt, Ernst R. & Morrison, Catherine J., 1992. "High-tech capital formation and economic performance in U.S. manufacturing industries : an exploratory analysis," Working papers 3419-92., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 2002.
"Information Technology, Workplace Organization, and the Demand for Skilled Labor: Firm-Level Evidence,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 117(1), pages 339-376.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 1999. "Information Technology, Workplace Organization and the Demand for Skilled Labor: Firm-Level Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7136, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gerardine DeSanctis & Marshall Scott Poole, 1994. "Capturing the Complexity in Advanced Technology Use: Adaptive Structuration Theory," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 5(2), pages 121-147, May.
- Alain Pinsonneault & Kenneth L. Kraemer, 1997. "Middle Management Downsizing: An Empirical Investigation of the Impact of Information Technology," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(5), pages 659-679, May.
- Lorin M. Hitt, 1999. "Information Technology and Firm Boundaries: Evidence from Panel Data," Information Systems Research, INFORMS, vol. 10(2), pages 134-149, June.
- Thomas W. Malone, 1987. "Modeling Coordination in Organizations and Markets," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(10), pages 1317-1332, October.
- Berndt, Ernst R, et al, 1995. "Information, Marketing, and Pricing in the U.S. Antiulcer Drug Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 100-105, May.
- Klatzky, S R, 1970. "Automation, Size, and the Locus of Decision Making: The Cascade Effect," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 141-151, April.
- M. Lynne Markus & Daniel Robey, 1988. "Information Technology and Organizational Change: Causal Structure in Theory and Research," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(5), pages 583-598, May.
- Thomas W. Malone & Stephen A. Smith, 1988. "Modeling the Performance of Organizational Structures," Operations Research, INFORMS, vol. 36(3), pages 421-436, June.
- E. Burton Swanson, 1994. "Information Systems Innovation Among Organizations," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(9), pages 1069-1092, September.
- Chiara Francalanci & P. Maggiolini, 1999. "Measuring the Financial Benefits of IT Investments on Coordination," Information Resources Management Journal (IRMJ), IGI Global, vol. 12(1), pages 5-14, January.
- Robert J. Gordon, 1990. "The Measurement of Durable Goods Prices," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number gord90-1, Juni.
- Wanda J. Orlikowski & Daniel Robey, 1991. "Information Technology and the Structuring of Organizations," Information Systems Research, INFORMS, vol. 2(2), pages 143-169, June.
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Thomas W. Malone & Vijay Gurbaxani & Ajit Kambil, 1994.
"Does Information Technology Lead to Smaller Firms?,"
Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(12), pages 1628-1644, December.
- Erik J. Brynjolfsson & Thomas Malone & Vijay Gurbaxani & Ajit Kambil, 1991. "Does Information Technology Lead to Smaller Firms?," Working Paper Series 123, MIT Center for Coordination Science.
- Pino G. Audia & Henrich R. Greve, 2006. "Less Likely to Fail: Low Performance, Firm Size, and Factory Expansion in the Shipbuilding Industry," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(1), pages 83-94, January.
- Varun Grover & Kirk Fiedler & James Teng, 1997. "Empirical Evidence on Swanson's Tri-Core Model of Information Systems Innovation," Information Systems Research, INFORMS, vol. 8(3), pages 273-287, September.
- Blanchflower, David G & Millward, Neil & Oswald, Andrew J, 1991. "Unionism and Employment Behaviour," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(407), pages 815-834, July.
- Sanjeev Dewan & Chung-ki Min, 1997. "The Substitution of Information Technology for Other Factors of Production: A Firm Level Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(12), pages 1660-1675, December.
- Wanda J. Orlikowski, 1992. "The Duality of Technology: Rethinking the Concept of Technology in Organizations," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 3(3), pages 398-427, August.
- Chris Forman, 2005. "The Corporate Digital Divide: Determinants of Internet Adoption," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(4), pages 641-654, April.
- Maddigan, Ruth J, 1981. "The Measurement of Vertical Integration," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(3), pages 328-335, August.
- Sanjeev Dewan & Steven C. Michael & Chung-ki Min, 1998. "Firm Characteristics and Investments in Information Technology: Scale and Scope Effects," Information Systems Research, INFORMS, vol. 9(3), pages 219-232, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jonghak Sun, 2017. "The effect of information technology on IT-facilitated coordination, IT-facilitated autonomy, and decision-makings at the individual level," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 49(2), pages 138-155, January.
- Ju-Yeon Lee & Shrihari Sridhar & Conor M. Henderson & Robert W. Palmatier, 2015. "Effect of Customer-Centric Structure on Long-Term Financial Performance," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(2), pages 250-268, March.
- JosephNg, P.S., 2018. "EaaS Optimization: Available yet hidden information technology infrastructure inside medium size enterprise," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, vol. 132(C), pages 165-173.
- Constantinos S. Lioukas & Jeffrey J. Reuer & Maurizio Zollo, 2016. "Effects of Information Technology Capabilities on Strategic Alliances: Implications for the Resource-Based View," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(2), pages 161-183, March.
- Dow, Kevin E. & Watson, Marcia Weidenmier & Shea, Vincent J., 2017. "Riding the waves of technology through the decades: The relation between industry-level information technology intensity and the cost of equity capital," International Journal of Accounting Information Systems, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 18-28.
- Min-Seok Pang & Ali Tafti & M. S. Krishnan, 2016. "Do CIO IT Budgets Explain Bigger or Smaller Governments? Theory and Evidence from U.S. State Governments," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 62(4), pages 1020-1041, April.
More about this item
Keywordsinformation systems and organizational change; bidirectional model; time-lagged model; longitudinal research; firm size; coordination costs; production theory; transaction cost economics; information processing perspective; coordination theory; structuration theory;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:orisre:v:24:y:2013:i:2:p:470-491. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matthew Walls). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/inforea.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.