The influence of GM crop adoption on the profitability of farms operated by young and beginning farmers
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to assess the impacts of GM crop adoption on the profitability of farms operated by young and/or beginning farmers and ranchers (YBFR). Design/methodology/approach – This research uses weighted quantile regression analysis in conjunction with 2004-2006 Agricultural Resource Management Survey to evaluate the impact of GM crop adoption on financial performance of farms operated by YBFR. The methodology employed in this study corrects for the simultaneity of technology adoption and farm financial performance. Findings – As expected, the impact of GM crop adoption on profitability is positively affected by the scale of operation and leverage. On the other hand, off-farm employment by “beginning” farmers has a negative impact on farm's profitability if they choose to adopt GM crops. Finally, quantile regression results from a farm household study shows that the model performs better at the higher quantile of the distribution. Research limitations/implications – This study helps to determine whether the adoption of GM crops increases the profitability of farms operated by “beginning” farmers. In addition, it explores the impact of other factors (such as farm, operator, demographic, and financial characteristics) on the profitability of farms operated by “beginning” farmers. Practical implications – Computing the profitability of adoption decisions for YBFR will provide significant information to YBFR that they can use in constructing their farm operations strategic business plan and future decisions regarding farming operations. Originality/value – Existing research does not examine the impact of GM crops adoption on farm profitability of YBFR. Furthermore, YBFR operators face significant challenges in making their operations financially viable, owing to lack of access to capital and land.
Volume (Year): 71 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=afr Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1981. "Qualitative Response Models: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 19(4), pages 1483-1536, December.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Koenker, Roger & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1982. "Robust Tests for Heteroscedasticity Based on Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 43-61, January.
- Fernandez-Cornejo, Jorge & Hendricks, Chad & Mishra, Ashok K., 2005. "Technology Adoption and Off-Farm Household Income: The Case of Herbicide-Tolerant Soybeans," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(03), December.
- Mutuc, Maria Erlinda M. & Pan, Suwen & Rejesus, Roderick M. & Yorobe, Jose M., Jr., 2007. "Farm Level Impacts of Bt Corn Adoption in a Developing Country: Evidence from the Philippines," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9891, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Barry K. Goodwin & Ashok K. Mishra, 2004. "Farming Efficiency and the Determinants of Multiple Job Holding by Farm Operators," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(3), pages 722-729.
- Fernandez-Cornejo, Jorge & Klotz-Ingram, Cassandra & Jans, Sharon, 2002. "Farm-Level Effects Of Adopting Herbicide-Tolerant Soybeans In The U.S.A," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(01), April.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- J. Davis & P. Caskie & M. Wallace, 2009. "Economics of farmer early retirement policy," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(1), pages 35-43.
- Payne, Tim & Fernandez-Cornejo, Jorge & Daberkow, Stan G., 2003. "Factors Affecting The Likelihood Of Corn Rootworm Bt Seed Adoption," 2003 Annual Meeting, July 13-16, 2003, Denver, Colorado 35983, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Marra, Michele & Pannell, David J. & Abadi Ghadim, Amir, 2003. "The economics of risk, uncertainty and learning in the adoption of new agricultural technologies: where are we on the learning curve?," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 75(2-3), pages 215-234.
- Hennings, Enrique & Katchova, Ani L., 2005. "Business Growth Strategies Of Illinois Farms: A Quantile Regression Approach," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19367, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Mishra, Ashok & El-Osta, Hisham, 2007. "Factors Affecting Succession Decisions in Family Farm Businesses: Evidence from a National Survey," Journal of the ASFMRA, American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers.
- Matin Qaim & Alain de Janvry, 2003. "Genetically Modified Crops, Corporate Pricing Strategies, and Farmers' Adoption: The Case of Bt Cotton in Argentina," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(4), pages 814-828.
- Gary S. Becker, 1975. "Human Capital: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis, with Special Reference to Education, Second Edition," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number beck75-1, December.
- Fernandez-Cornejo, Jorge & McBride, William D., 2000. "Genetically Engineered Crops For Pest Management In U.S. Agriculture," Agricultural Economics Reports 33931, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- McBride, William D. & El-Osta, Hisham S., 2002. "Impacts Of The Adoption Of Genetically Engineered Crops On Farm Financial Performance," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(01), April.
- Bryan J. Hubbell & Michele C. Marra & Gerald A. Carlson, 2000. "Estimating the Demand for a New Technology: Bt Cotton and Insecticide Policies," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(1), pages 118-132.
- Mishra, Ashok K. & El-Osta, Hisham S. & Johnson, James D., 1999. "Factors Contributing To Earnings Success Of Cash Grain Farms," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(03), December.
- Fernandez-Cornejo, Jorge, 2007. "U.S. Farmers Increase Adoption of Genetically Engineered Crops and Favor Multiple Traits," Amber Waves, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, September.
- Johnson, James D. & El-Osta, Hisham S., 1998. "Determinants of Financial Performance of Commercial Dairy Farms," Technical Bulletins 33561, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Alston, Julian M. & Hyde, Jeffrey & Marra, Michele C. & Mitchell, Paul D., 2003. "An Ex Ante Analysis of the Benefits from the Adoption of Corn Rootworm Resistant, Transgenic Corn Technology," 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia 57828, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Feder, Gershon & Just, Richard E & Zilberman, David, 1985. "Adoption of Agricultural Innovations in Developing Countries: A Survey," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(2), pages 255-98, January.
- Ashok Mishra & Christine Wilson & Robert Williams, 2009. "Factors affecting financial performance of new and beginning farmers," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 69(2), pages 160-179, July.
- Alexander, Corinne E. & Fernandez-Cornejo, Jorge & Goodhue, Rachael E., 2003. "Effects of the GM Controversy on Iowa Corn-Soybean Farmers' Acreage Allocation Decisions," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(03), December.
- Kenneth A. Baerenklau, 2005. "Toward an Understanding of Technology Adoption: Risk, Learning, and Neighborhood Effects," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 81(1).
- Kauffman, Jonas B. III & Tauer, Loren W., 1986. "Successful Dairy Farm Management Strategies Indentified By Stochastic Dominance Analyses Of Farm Records," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 15(2), October.
- Huffman, Wallace E, 1977. "Allocative Efficiency: The Role of Human Capital," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 91(1), pages 59-79, February.
- Gloy, Brent A. & Hyde, Jeffrey & LaDue, Eddy L., 2002. "Dairy Farm Management and Long-Term Farm Financial Performance," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 31(2), October.
- Marra, Michele C. & Pardey, Philip G. & Alston, Julian M., 2002. "The payoffs to agricultural biotechnology: an assessment of the evidence," EPTD discussion papers 87, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:afrpps:v:71:y:2011:i:1:p:41-61. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.