The impact of cultural differences on technology adoption
This study examines the impact of Type I and Type II cultural differences on mobile phone adoption patterns. We use Hofstede's cultural dimensions to examine cultural differences of two countries (Type I: the U.S.; Type II: S. Korea) and employ the Bass diffusion model to delineate innovation and imitation effects on mobile phone adoption. The results show that in Type I culture innovation factor has a significantly higher level of effect on adoption than it does in Type II culture; and in Type II culture imitation factor has a higher degree of effect on adoption than it does in Type I culture. These findings imply that in individualistic cultures, people tend to seek information on their own from direct and formal sources, whereas in collectivistic cultures, people rely more on subjective evaluation of an innovation, conveyed from other-like-minded individuals who already have adopted the innovation.
Volume (Year): 48 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ralston, David A. & Hallinger, Philip & Egri, Carolyn P. & Naothinsuhk, Subhatra, 2005. "The effects of culture and life stage on workplace strategies of upward influence: A comparison of Thailand and the United States," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 321-337, August.
- Erumban, Abdul Azeez & de Jong, Simon B., 2006. "Cross-country differences in ICT adoption: A consequence of Culture?," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 302-314, December.
- N. Venkatraman & Lawrence Loh & Jeongsuk Koh, 1994. "The Adoption of Corporate Governance Mechanisms: A Test of Competing Diffusion Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(4), pages 496-507, April.
- Vance, Anthony & Elie-dit-Cosaque, Christophe & Straub, Detmar W., 2008. "Examining Trust in Information Technology Artifacts : The Effects of System Quality and Culture," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2723, Paris Dauphine University.
- Frank M. Bass, 2004. "Comments on "A New Product Growth for Model Consumer Durables The Bass Model"," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(12_supple), pages 1833-1840, December.
- Vijay Mahajan & Subhash Sharma & Richard A. Bettis, 1988. "The Adoption of the M-Form Organizational Structure: A Test of Imitation Hypothesis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(10), pages 1188-1201, October.
- Helen Hasan & George Ditsa, 1999. "The Impact of Culture on the Adoption of IT: An Interpretive Study," Journal of Global Information Management (JGIM), IGI Global, vol. 7(1), pages 5-15, January.
- Frank M. Bass, 2004. "A New Product Growth for Model Consumer Durables," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(12_supple), pages 1825-1832, December.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1981.
"Several Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses,"
Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 781-93, May.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1980. "Several Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses," Working Papers 378, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Andy C W Chui & Chuck C Y Kwok, 2008. "National culture and life insurance consumption," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(1), pages 88-101, January.
- Apfelthaler, Gerhard & Muller, Helen J. & Rehder, Robert R., 2002. "Corporate global culture as competitive advantage: learning from Germany and Japan in Alabama and Austria?," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 108-118, July.
- David A Griffith & Michael Y Hu & John K Ryans, 2000. "Process Standardization across Intra- and Inter-Cultural Relationships," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(2), pages 303-324, June.
- V. Srinivasan & Charlotte H. Mason, 1986. "Technical Note—Nonlinear Least Squares Estimation of New Product Diffusion Models," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 5(2), pages 169-178.
- Dimitratos, Pavlos & Petrou, Andreas & Plakoyiannaki, Emmanuella & Johnson, Jeffrey E., 2011. "Strategic decision-making processes in internationalization: Does national culture of the focal firm matter?," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 194-204, April.
- Ronald Fischer & Angela Mansell, 2009. "Commitment across cultures: A meta-analytical approach," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(8), pages 1339-1358, October.
- Frank M. Bass, 1969. "A New Product Growth for Model Consumer Durables," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(5), pages 215-227, January.
- Taras, Vas & Steel, Piers & Kirkman, Bradley L., 2012. "Improving national cultural indices using a longitudinal meta-analysis of Hofstede's dimensions," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 329-341.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:48:y:2013:i:1:p:20-29. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.