Improving national cultural indices using a longitudinal meta-analysis of Hofstede's dimensions
This meta-analysis offers an updated set of national cultural scores along the dimensions of Hofstede's cultural framework. The meta-analytic national cultural indices have two advantages. First, they are based on a larger and more representative sample than that used in Hofstede's or any other cross-cultural comparison study. The data come from 451 empirical studies representing over 2000 samples comprising over half a million individuals from 49 countries and regions. Second, cultural change is addressed by offering separate sets of indices for different decades. This would be helpful in longitudinal studies of the interplay between culture and other phenomena. The meta-analytic indices are validated against a set of external criteria.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 47 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yamamura, Jeanne H. & Frakes, Albert H. & Sanders, Debra L. & Ahn, Sung K., 1996. "A comparison of Japanese and U.S. Auditor decision-making behavior," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 347-363.
- Steel, Piers & Taras, Vasyl, 2010. "Culture as a consequence: A multi-level multivariate meta-analysis of the effects of individual and country characteristics on work-related cultural values," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 211-233, September.
- William Newburry & Nevena Yakova, 2006. "Standardization preferences: a function of national culture, work interdependence and local embeddedness," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(1), pages 44-60, January.
- Chakrabarty, Subrata, 2009. "The influence of national culture and institutional voids on family ownership of large firms: A country level empirical study," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 32-45, March.
- Vitell, Scott J. & Paolillo, Joseph G. P. & Thomas, James L., 2003. "The Perceived Role of Ethics and Social Responsibility: A Study of Marketing Professionals," Business Ethics Quarterly, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(01), pages 63-86, January.
- Bruce Kogut & Harbir Singh, 1988. "The Effect of National Culture on the Choice of Entry Mode," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(3), pages 411-432, September.
- Vas Taras & Piers Steel & Bradley L Kirkman, 2010. "Negative practice–value correlations in the GLOBE data: Unexpected findings, questionnaire limitations and research directions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 41(8), pages 1330-1338, October.
- Mueller, Stephen L. & Thomas, Anisya S., 2001. "Culture and entrepreneurial potential: A nine country study of locus of control and innovativeness," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 51-75, January.
- David A Ralston & David H Holt & Robert H Terpstra & Yu Kai-Cheng, 1997. "The Impact of Natural Culture and Economic Ideology on Managerial Work Values: A Study of the United States, Russia, Japan, and China," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 28(1), pages 177-207, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:47:y:2012:i:3:p:329-341. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.