Half a century of measuring culture: Review of approaches, challenges, and limitations based on the analysis of 121 instruments for quantifying culture
After examining 121 instruments for measuring culture, we provide a historical overview and analyze how culture has been operationalized over the last half a century. Our study focuses on the topics of culture definition, dimensionality of culture models, collection and analysis of data for measuring culture, levels of culture measurement, issues of cross-cultural survey equivalence and the reliability and validity of culture measures. For each of these topics, we provide a review of existing approaches, discuss the challenges, and suggest best practices. Based on our analysis, we identify gaps in the field of culture measurement and offer directions for future research.
Volume (Year): 15 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/601266/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/601266/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S. B. Littauer, 1960. "On Some Aspects of Technological Measurement," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 0(1), pages 36-45, January.
- Denny, Rita M. & Sunderland, Patricia L., 2005. "Researching cultural metaphors in action: metaphors of computing technology in contemporary U.S. life," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(10), pages 1456-1463, October.
- S Durvasula & R G Netemeyer & J C Andrews & S Lysonski, 2006. "Examining the cross-national applicability of multi-item, multi-dimensional measures using generalizability theory," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(4), pages 469-483, July.
- Hofstede, G., 2006. "What did GLOBE really measure? Researchers' minds versus respondents' minds," Other publications TiSEM 53fc2049-e658-4cff-a440-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Peter B Smith, 2006. "When elephants fight, the grass gets trampled: the GLOBE and Hofstede projects," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(6), pages 915-921, November.
- Geert Hofstede, 2006. "What did GLOBE really measure? Researchers’ minds versus respondents’ minds," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(6), pages 882-896, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intman:v:15:y:2009:i:4:p:357-373. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.