Survival of Japanese subsidiaries in the Middle East and North Africa
This paper considers factors affecting survival of foreign subsidiaries in the context of Japanese foreign equity ventures in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). Three new institutional variables, economic distance, economic freedom distance and subsidiary density, are examined as determinants of survival while controlling for other determinants previously established in the literature. The findings support our hypotheses. We found that economic distance and economic freedom distance exhibit significant positive and negative relationships respectively with the survival of Japanese FDI in the MENA region, and moderate positive relationship between subsidiary density and subsidiary survival.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 46 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kogut, Bruce, 1989. "The Stability of Joint Ventures: Reciprocity and Competitive Rivalry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(2), pages 183-98, December.
- Gwartney, James & Lawson, Robert, 2003. "The concept and measurement of economic freedom," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 405-430, September.
- Van den Poel, Dirk & Lariviere, Bart, 2004.
"Customer attrition analysis for financial services using proportional hazard models,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 157(1), pages 196-217, August.
- D. Van Den Poel & B. Larivière, 2003. "Customer Attrition Analysis For Financial Services Using Proportional Hazard Models," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 03/164, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- John Dunning & Sarianna Lundan, 2008. "Institutions and the OLI paradigm of the multinational enterprise," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 25(4), pages 573-593, December.
- Stephen J Kobrin, 1979. "Political Risk: A Review and Reconsideration," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 10(1), pages 67-80, March.
- Hongxin Zhao & Yadong Luo & Taewon Suh, 2004. "Transaction cost determinants and ownership-based entry mode choice: a meta-analytical review," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 35(6), pages 524-544, November.
- Chris Changwha Chung, 2005. "The Impact of Institutional Reforms on Characteristics and Survival of Foreign Subsidiaries in Emerging Economies," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 35-62, 01.
- Xu, Dean & Lu, Jane W., 2007. "Technological knowledge, product relatedness, and parent control: The effect on IJV survival," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(11), pages 1166-1176, November.
- Kabasakal, Hayat & Bodur, Muzaffer, 2002. "Arabic cluster: a bridge between East and West," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 40-54, April.
- Seung Ho Park & Michael V. Russo, 1996. "When Competition Eclipses Cooperation: An Event History Analysis of Joint Venture Failure," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(6), pages 875-890, June.
- Scully, Gerald W & Slottje, Daniel J, 1991. "Ranking Economic Liberty across Countries," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 69(2), pages 121-52, February.
- Coase, Ronald, 1998. "The New Institutional Economics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 72-74, May.
- Bengoa, Marta & Sanchez-Robles, Blanca, 2003. "Foreign direct investment, economic freedom and growth: new evidence from Latin America," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 529-545, September.
- J Michael Geringer & Louis Hebert, 1989. "Control and Performance of International Joint Ventures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 20(2), pages 235-254, June.
- J Child & L Chung & H Davies, 2003. "The performance of cross-border units in China: a test of natural selection, strategic choice and contingency theories," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 34(3), pages 242-254, May.
- James D. Gwartney & Randall G. Holcombe & Robert A. Lawson, 2004. "Economic Freedom, Institutional Quality,and Cross-Country Differences in Income and Growth," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 24(3), pages 205-233, Fall.
- Chung, Chris Changwha & Beamish, Paul W., 2005. "Investment mode strategy and expatriate strategy during times of economic crisis," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 331-355, September.
- kant, C., 1996. "Foreign Direct Investment and Capital Flight," Princeton Studies in International Economics 80, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 1997. "Measuring the potential of emerging markets: An indexing approach," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 87-91.
- Jean-François Hennart, 1991. "The Transaction Costs Theory of Joint Ventures: An Empirical Study of Japanese Subsidiaries in the United States," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(4), pages 483-497, April.
- Beamish, Paul W. & Kachra, Ariff, 2004. "Number of partners and JV performance," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 107-120, May.
- Keith D Brouthers, 2002. "Institutional, Cultural and Transaction Cost Influences on Entry Mode Choice and Performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 33(2), pages 203-221, June.
- Oliver E. Williamson, 2000. "The New Institutional Economics: Taking Stock, Looking Ahead," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(3), pages 595-613, September.
- Klaus E. Meyer & Saul Estrin & Sumon Kumar Bhaumik & Mike W. Peng, 2009. "Institutions, resources and entry strategies in emerging economies," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 4217, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Demirbag, Mehmet & Mirza, Hafiz, 2000. "Factors affecting international joint venture success: an empirical analysis of foreign-local partner relationships and performance in joint ventures in Turkey," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-35, February.
- repec:cto:journl:v:24:y:2004:i:3:p: is not listed on IDEAS
- Klaus E. Meyer, 2005. "Foreign Investment Strategies and Sub-national Institutions in Emerging Markets: Evidence from Vietnam," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 63-93, 01.
- Makino, Shige & Beamish, Paul W. & Zhao, Natalie Bin, 2004. "The characteristics and performance of Japanese FDI in less developed and developed countries," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 377-392, November.
- Shige Makino & Paul W Beamish, 1998. "Performance and Survival of Joint Ventures with Non-Conventional Ownership Structures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 29(4), pages 797-818, December.
- Stephen Thomsen, 2000. "Investment Patterns in a Longer-Term Perspective," OECD Working Papers on International Investment 2000/2, OECD Publishing.
- Oxley, Joanne E, 1997. "Appropriability Hazards and Governance in Strategic Alliances: A Transaction Cost Approach," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(2), pages 387-409, October.
- C Patrick Woodcook & Paul W Beamish & Shige Makino, 1994. "Ownership-Based Entry mode Strategies and International Performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 25(2), pages 253-273, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:46:y:2011:i:4:p:411-425. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.