Developing trust in vertical product development partnerships: A comparison of South Korea and Austria
We develop and test a model of factors proposed to influence the formation of trust in R&D partnerships in two different cultures. We suggest that specific relational behaviors (communication quality, fairness, and unresolved conflicts) impact trust formation and that national culture has a direct and a moderating effect on trust development. Results of a study of 100 vertical product development partnerships in South Korea and Austria show that communication quality and fairness have a positive effect and unresolved conflicts have a negative effect on the amount of trust developed. We also find a lower amount of trust developed in South Korean partnerships compared to partnerships conducted in Austria. In Austria, the positive effect of communication quality and the negative effect of unresolved conflicts on trust formation are stronger than in South Korea. Overall, the impact of the three relational factors is much stronger than the direct and moderating influence of national culture in the R&D partnerships studied, indicating that the relational elements of trust formation might be more universal than country specific.
Volume (Year): 43 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Das, T. K. & Teng, Bing-Sheng, 2001. "A risk perception model of alliance structuring," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 1-29.
- Bruce Kogut & Harbir Singh, 1988. "The Effect of National Culture on the Choice of Entry Mode," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(3), pages 411-432, September.
- John U. Farley & Donald R. Lehmann, 1994. "Cross-National "Laws" and Differences in Market Response," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(1), pages 111-122, January.
- Luthans, Fred & Zhu, Weichun & Avolio, Bruce J., 2006. "The impact of efficacy on work attitudes across cultures," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 121-132, June.
- Ji Li & Kevin Lam & Gongming Qian, 2001. "Does Culture Affect Behavior and Performance of Firms? The Case of Joint Ventures in China," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(1), pages 115-131, March.
- Jeffrey H Dyer & Wujin Chu, 2000. "The Determinants of Trust in Supplier-Automaker Relationships in the U.S., Japan and Korea," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(2), pages 259-285, June.
- Håkansson, Håkan, 1990. "Technological collaboration in industrial networks," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 371-379, September.
- Kim, Kwanghyun & Slocum Jr., John W., 2008. "Individual differences and expatriate assignment effectiveness: The case of U.S.-based Korean expatriates," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 109-126, January.
- Guoquan Chen & Chunhong Liu & Dean Tjosvold, 2005. "Conflict Management for Effective Top Management Teams and Innovation in China," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 277-300, 03.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1993. "Calculativeness, Trust, and Economic Organization," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(1), pages 453-86, April.
- Erin Anderson & Barton Weitz, 1989. "Determinants of Continuity in Conventional Industrial Channel Dyads," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 8(4), pages 310-323.
- Shantanu Dutta & Allen M. Weiss, 1997. "The Relationship Between a Firm's Level of Technological Innovativeness and Its Pattern of Partnership Agreements," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(3), pages 343-356, March.
- Gupta, Vipin & Hanges, Paul J. & Dorfman, Peter, 2002. "Cultural clusters: methodology and findings," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 11-15, April.
- H Kevin Steensma & Louis Marino & K Mark Weaver, 2000. "Attitudes Toward Cooperative Strategies: A Cross-Cultural Analysis of Entrepreneurs," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(4), pages 591-609, December.
- David G Sirmon & Peter J Lane, 2004. "A model of cultural differences and international alliance performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(4), pages 306-319, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:43:y:2008:i:1:p:35-46. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.