Antecedents of importer relationship performance in Latin America
Emerging market importers are increasingly engaging in relationships with foreign suppliers. Nevertheless, characteristics of the institutional and cultural environments of countries may affect relationship behavior. Furthermore, research on relationship marketing primarily focuses on the marketing activities of exporters from developed countries and much less attention is paid to the import side of the exchange process. Thus, the objective of this study is to empirically examine importer relationship performance in a Latin American context. This article proposes and tests a conceptual model that includes the antecedents and outcomes of trust and commitment with a survey of Chilean importers. The model uses confirmatory factor analysis (CFA) to develop the construct measures and structural equation modeling (SEM) to test the model. The findings of this study contribute to a better understanding of the driving forces of trust and commitment and their influence on importing firms' performance in an emerging market context.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lohtia, Ritu & Bello, Daniel C. & Yamada, Teruhisa & Gilliland, David I., 2005. "The role of commitment in foreign-Japanese relationships: mediating performance for foreign sellers in Japan," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(8), pages 1009-1018, August.
- Lye, Ashley & Hamilton, R. T., 2001. "Importer perspectives on international exchange relationships," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 109-128, February.
- Srilata Zaheer & Akbar Zaheer, 2006. "Trust across borders," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(1), pages 21-29, January.
- Geyskens, I. & Steenkamp, J.E.B.M. & Scheer, L.K. & Kumar, N., 1996. "The effects of trust and interdependence on relationship commitment : A trans-Atlantic study," Other publications TiSEM ef7c8d6c-963d-4ee7-8576-9, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Daphne Yiu & Yuan Lu, 2005. "Understanding Business Group Performance in an Emerging Economy: Acquiring Resources and Capabilities in Order to Prosper," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 183-206, 01.
- Luo, Yadong, 2002. "Partnering with foreign businesses: perspectives from Chinese firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(6), pages 481-493, June.
- Brian Toyne, 1989. "International Exchange: A Foundation for Theory Building in International Business," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 20(1), pages 1-17, March.
- Neng Liang & Arvind Parkhe, 1997. "Importer Behavior: the neglected Counterpart of International Exchange," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 28(3), pages 495-530, September.
- Constantine S Katsikeas & Dionysis Skarmeas & Daniel C Bello, 2009. "Developing successful trust-based international exchange relationships," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(1), pages 132-155, January.
- Saleh, M Abu & Ali, M Yunus, 2009. "Determinants of importer commitment in international exchange: An agenda for future research," Journal of Management & Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(02), pages 186-205, May.
- Mavondo, Felix T. & Rodrigo, Elaine M., 2001. "The effect of relationship dimensions on interpersonal and interorganizational commitment in organizations conducting business between Australia and China," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 111-121, May.
- Samiee, Saeed & Walters, Peter G. P., 2003. "Relationship marketing in an international context: a literature review," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 193-214, April.
- Suseno, Yuliani & Ratten, Vanessa, 2007. "A theoretical framework of alliance performance: The role of trust, social capital and knowledge development," Journal of Management & Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(01), pages 4-23, March.
- Bstieler, Ludwig & Hemmert, Martin, 2008. "Developing trust in vertical product development partnerships: A comparison of South Korea and Austria," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 35-46, January.
- Kim, Keysuk, 2001. "On the effects of customer conditions on distributor commitment and supplier commitment in industrial channels of distribution," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 87-99, February.
- Sim, A.B & Ali, Yunus, 1998. "Performance of international joint ventures from developing and developed countries: An empirical study in a developing country context," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 357-377, January.
- Cullen, John B. & Johnson, Jean L. & Sakano, Tomoaki, 2000. "Success through commitment and trust: the soft side of strategic alliance management," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 223-240.
- Chris Styles & Paul G Patterson & Farid Ahmed, 2008. "A relational model of export performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(5), pages 880-900, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:64:y:2011:i:3:p:258-265. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.