Making Economic Policy in Weak, Democratic, Post-crisis States: An Indonesian Case Study
Summary Economic crises in developing countries differ in their causes, severity and recovery trajectories. The literature on the causes and immediate management of these crises is well developed. However, it is more difficult to develop an a priori framework which facilitates an analytical interpretation of how crises affect economic policy and hence recovery. This is especially so in the commonly occurring "twin crises," in which an economic crisis interacts with regime collapse. Country studies are needed to contribute to the development of such a framework. This paper addresses these issues with reference to Indonesia's deep economic and political crisis of 1997-98.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Ryaas Rasyid, 2004. "The Policy of Decentralization in Indonesia," Chapters,in: Reforming Intergovernmental Fiscal Relations and the Rebuilding of Indonesia, chapter 4 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Prema-Chandra Athukorala, 2006. "Post-crisis export performance: The Indonesian experience in regional perspective," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 177-211.
- Kelly Bird & Hal Hill & Sandy Cuthbertson, 2008.
"Making Trade Policy in a New Democracy after a Deep Crisis: Indonesia,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(7), pages 947-968, 07.
- Kelly Bird & Sandy Cuthbertson & Hal Hill, 2007. "Making Trade Policy in a New Democracy after a Deep Crisis: Indonesia," Departmental Working Papers 2007-01, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Chris Manning & Kurnya Roesad, 2006. "Survey of recent developments," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 143-170.
- Stephen Grenville, 2004. "What sort of financial sector should Indonesia have?," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(3), pages 307-327.
- Stephan Haggard, 2000. "Political Economy of the Asian Financial Crisis, The," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 107, November.
- Pranab Bardhan, 1997. "Corruption and Development: A Review of Issues," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1320-1346, September.
- David Ray, 2003. "Survey of recent developments," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(3), pages 245-270.
- Roger Montgomery & Sudarno Sumarto & Sulton Mawardi & Syaikhu Usman & Nina Toyamah & Vita Febriany & John Strain, 2002. "Deregulation Of Indonesia'S Interregional Agricultural Trade," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(1), pages 93-117.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2005. "Product Fragmentation and Trade Patterns in East Asia," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 4(3), pages 1-27, October.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2003. "Product Fragmentation and Trade Patterns in East Asia," Departmental Working Papers 2003-21, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- R. William Liddle, 2005. "Year one of the Yudhoyono-Kalla duumvirate," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(3), pages 325-340.
- Wells, Louis T. & Ahmed, Rafiq, 2007. "Making Foreign Investment Safe: Property Rights and National Sovereignty," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195310627, April.
- Asep Suryahadi & Wenefrida Widyanti & Daniel Perwira & Sudarno Sumarto, 2003. "Minimum Wage Policy And Its Impact On Employment In The Urban Formal Sector," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 29-50.
- Hadi Soesastro & M. Chatib Basri, 2005. "The political economy of trade policy in Indonesia," CSIS Economics Working Paper Series WPE092, Centre for Strategic and International Studies, Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Hadi Soesastro & M. Chatib Basri, 2005. "The Political Economy of Trade Policy in Indonesia," Trade Working Papers 22033, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Peter G. Warr, 2002. "Vulnerability to a Currency Crisis: Lessons from the Asian Experience," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(1), pages 33-57, 01.
- Claessens, Stijn & Djankov, Simeon & Lang, Larry H. P., 2000. "The separation of ownership and control in East Asian Corporations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 81-112.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1998. "The Mexican Peso Crisis: How Much Did We Know? When Did We Know It?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 1-30, 01.
- Robert E. Lipsey, 2001. "Foreign Direct Investors in Three Financial Crises," NBER Working Papers 8084, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fukunari KIMURA, 2006. "International Production and Distribution Networks in East Asia: Eighteen Facts, Mechanics, and Policy Implications," Asian Economic Policy Review, Japan Center for Economic Research, vol. 1(2), pages 326-344.
- Fitria Fitrani & Bert Hofman & Kai Kaiser, 2005. "Unity in diversity? The creation of new local governments in a decentralising Indonesia," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(1), pages 57-79.
- Tim Lindsey, 2004. "Legal Infrastructure and Governance Reform in Post-Crisis Asia: The case of Indonesia," Asian-Pacific Economic Literature, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, The Australian National University, vol. 18(1), pages 12-40, 05.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew Warner, 1995. "Economic Reform and the Process of Global Integration," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(1, 25th A), pages 1-118.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Andrew Warner, 1995. "Economic Reform and the Progress of Global Integration," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1733, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Chris Manning, 2000. "Labour Market Adjustment to Indonesia's Economic Crisis: Context, Trends and Implications," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(1), pages 105-136.
- Rosengard, Jay, 2004. "Will Bank Bailouts Bust Budgets? Fiscalization of the East Asian Financial Crisis," Working Paper Series rwp04-012, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:37:y:2009:i:2:p:354-370. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.