How can Country-of-Origin image be leveraged to create global sporting goods brands?
While much marketing research has focused on brand creation and management, less is known about the creation of sport brands. This paper complements the stakeholder model of branding and brand creation, which highlights the role of a firm's stakeholders in the analysis of brands, by including country-specific factors based on location and Country-of-Origin (CoO). Using a sample of innovative New Zealand-based firms, our qualitative study uses a comparative case method in two subsector settings to investigate how they have built outdoor sport brands based on that country's particular country-specific factors. We show how firms are able to leverage New Zealand's strong sport product category-country associations to create brand value. Our findings confirm that CoO image together with sport product category-country associations enables the creation of brands in sport product categories. Our paper contributes to theory and practice by extending understanding of brand creation by demonstrating the importance of location and product category. Further research directions are suggested.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 17 (2014)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/716936/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/716936/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin S Roth & Jean B Romeo, 1992. "Matching Product Category and Country Image Perceptions: A Framework for Managing Country-of-Origin Effects," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 23(3), pages 477-497, September.
- Allen, James T. & Drane, Dan D. & Byon, Kevin K. & Mohn, Richard S., 2010. "Sport as a vehicle for socialization and maintenance of cultural identity: International students attending American universities," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 421-434, November.
- Michael R. Glass, 2001. "Innovation and Interdependencies in the New Zealand Custom Boat-building Industry," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(3), pages 571-592, September.
- Emery, Paul, 2010. "Past, present, future major sport event management practice: The practitioner perspective," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 158-170, May.
- Fournier, Susan, 1998. " Consumers and Their Brands: Developing Relationship Theory in Consumer Research," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(4), pages 343-373, March.
- Freeman, R. Edward, 1994. "The Politics of Stakeholder Theory: Some Future Directions," Business Ethics Quarterly, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(04), pages 409-421, October.
- Brown, Graham, 2000. "Emerging Issues in Olympic Sponsorship: Implications for Host Cities," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 71-92, May.
- Parent, Milena M. & Eskerud, Line & Hanstad, Dag Vidar, 2012. "Brand creation in international recurring sports events," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 145-159.
- Kevin Lane Keller & Donald R. Lehmann, 2006. "Brands and Branding: Research Findings and Future Priorities," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(6), pages 740-759, 11-12.
- Warren J Bilkey & Erik Nes, 1982. "Country-of-Origin Effects on Product Evaluations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 13(1), pages 89-100, March.
- Wladimir Andreff, 2008. "Globalization of the sports economy," Rivista di Diritto ed Economia dello Sport, Centro di diritto e business dello Sport, vol. 4(3), pages 13-32, Dicembre.
- Lefkoff-Hagius, Roxanne & Mason, Charlotte H, 1993. " Characteristic, Beneficial, and Image Attributes in Consumer Judgments of Similarity and Preference," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(1), pages 100-110, June.
- Thomas, David R. & Dyall, Lorna, 1999. "Culture, Ethnicity, and Sport Management: A New Zealand Perspective," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 115-132, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:spomar:v:17:y:2014:i:2:p:174-189. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.