Brands and Branding: Research Findings and Future Priorities
Branding has emerged as a top management priority in the last decade due to the growing realization that brands are one of the most valuable intangible assets that firms have. Driven in part by this intense industry interest, academic researchers have explored a number of different brand-related topics in recent years, generating scores of papers, articles, research reports, and books. This paper identifies some of the influential work in the branding area, highlighting what has been learned from an academic perspective on important topics such as brand positioning, brand integration, brand-equity measurement, brand growth, and brand management. The paper also outlines some gaps that exist in the research of branding and brand equity and formulates a series of related research questions. Choice modeling implications of the branding concept and the challenges of incorporating main and interaction effects of branding as well as the impact of competition are discussed.
Volume (Year): 25 (2006)
Issue (Month): 6 (11-12)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Besanko & Jean-Pierre Dubé & Sachin Gupta, 2005. "Own-Brand and Cross-Brand Retail Pass-Through," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(1), pages 123-137, July.
- Meyvis, Tom & Janiszewski, Chris, 2002. " Consumers' Beliefs about Product Benefits: The Effect of Obviously Irrelevant Product Information," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(4), pages 618-35, March.
- V. Srinivasan, 1979. "Network Models for Estimating Brand-Specific Effects in Multi-Attribute Marketing Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(1), pages 11-21, January.
- Deepak Agrawal, 1996. "Effect of Brand Loyalty on Advertising and Trade Promotions: A Game Theoretic Analysis with Empirical Evidence," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(1), pages 86-108.
- Sheinin, Daniel A. & Schmitt, Bernd H., 1994. "Extending brands with new product concepts: The role of category attribute congruity, brand affect, and brand breadth," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 1-10, September.
- Raj, S P, 1982. " The Effects of Advertising on High and Low Loyalty Consumer Segments," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(1), pages 77-89, June.
- Lakshman Krishnamurthi & S. P. Raj, 1991. "An Empirical Analysis of the Relationship Between Brand Loyalty and Consumer Price Elasticity," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(2), pages 172-183.
- Park, C Whan & Milberg, Sandra & Lawson, Robert, 1991. " Evaluation of Brand Extensions: The Role of Product Feature Similarity and Brand Concept Consistency," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(2), pages 185-93, September.
- Carol J. Simon & Mary W. Sullivan, 1993. "The Measurement and Determinants of Brand Equity: A Financial Approach," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 12(1), pages 28-52.
- Dan Horsky & Patrick Swyngedouw, 1987. "Does it Pay to Change Your Company's Name? A Stock Market Perspective," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 6(4), pages 320-335.
- Eric T. Anderson & Duncan I. Simester, 2004. "Long-Run Effects of Promotion Depth on New Versus Established Customers: Three Field Studies," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(1), pages 4-20, February.
- Dawar, Niraj & Anderson, Paul F., 1994. "The effects of order and direction on multiple brand extensions," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 119-129, June.
- Schmitt, Bernd H & Pan, Yigang & Tavassoli, Nader T, 1994. " Language and Consumer Memory: The Impact of Linguistic Differences between Chinese and English," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(3), pages 419-31, December.
- Sandor Czellar, 2003. "Consumer attitude toward brand extensions : An Integrative Model and Research Propositions," Post-Print hal-00480357, HAL.
- Aaker, Jennifer & Benet-Martinez, Veronica & Garolera, Jordi, 2001. "Consumption Symbols as Carriers of Culture: A Study of Japanese and Spanish Brand Personality Constructs," Research Papers 1668r, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Jan-Benedict E M Steenkamp & Rajeev Batra & Dana L Alden, 2003. "How perceived brand globalness creates brand value," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(1), pages 53-65, January.
- Ahluwalia, Rohini & Gurhan-Canli, Zeynep, 2000. " The Effects of Extensions of the Family Brand Name: An Accessibility-Diagnosticity Perspective," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(3), pages 371-81, December.
- Mark Uncles & Andrew Ehrenberg & Kathy Hammond, 1995. "Patterns of Buyer Behavior: Regularities, Models, and Extensions," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 14(3_supplem), pages G71-G78.
- Taylor Randall & Karl Ulrich & David Reibstein, 1998. "Brand Equity and Vertical Product Line Extent," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 17(4), pages 356-379.
- Schouten, John W & McAlexander, James H, 1995. " Subcultures of Consumptions: An Ethnography of the New Bikers," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(1), pages 43-61, June.
- Rajiv Lal & Chakravarthi Narasimhan, 1996. "The Inverse Relationship Between Manufacturer and Retailer Margins: A Theory," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(2), pages 132-151.
- Janiszewski, Chris & Meyvis, Tom, 2001. " Effects of Brand Logo Complexity, Repetition, and Spacing on Processing Fluency and Judgment," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(1), pages 18-32, June.
- J. Miguel Villas-Boas, 2004. "Consumer Learning, Brand Loyalty, and Competition," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(1), pages 134-145, December.
- Prasad A. Naik & Kalyan Raman & Russell S. Winer, 2005. "Planning Marketing-Mix Strategies in the Presence of Interaction Effects," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(1), pages 25-34, June.
- Jean-Noël Kapferer & Audrey Azoulay, 2003. "Do brand personality scales really measure brand personality?," Post-Print hal-00781544, HAL.
- Vinay Kanetkar & Charles B. Weinberg & Doyle L. Weiss, 1992. "Price Sensitivity and Television Advertising Exposures: Some Empirical Findings," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 11(4), pages 359-371.
- van Osselaer, Stijn M J & Alba, Joseph W, 2003. " Locus of Equity and Brand Extension," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(4), pages 539-50, March.
- Fournier, Susan, 1998. " Consumers and Their Brands: Developing Relationship Theory in Consumer Research," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(4), pages 343-73, March.
- Brown, Christina L & Carpenter, Gregory S, 2000. " Why Is the Trivial Important? A Reasons-Based Account for the Effects of Trivial Attributes on Choice," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(4), pages 372-85, March.
- Sheinin, Daniel A., 2000. "The Effects of Experience with Brand Extensions on Parent Brand Knowledge," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 47-55, July.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormksc:v:25:y:2006:i:6:p:740-759. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.