Is blood thicker than water? Peer effects in stent utilization among Floridian cardiologists
Variations in physician practice are pervasive and costly, and may be harmful. The objective of much policy in the West is to increase the interconnectedness of physicians, furthering the transfer of information and thus reducing variation.
Volume (Year): 73 (2011)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ethan Cohen-Cole & Jason M. Fletcher, 2008.
"Is obesity contagious?: social networks vs. environmental factors in the obesity epidemic,"
Risk and Policy Analysis Unit Working Paper
QAU08-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Cohen-Cole, Ethan & Fletcher, Jason M., 2008. "Is obesity contagious? Social networks vs. environmental factors in the obesity epidemic," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1382-1387, September.
- de Jong, Judith D. & Groenewegen, Peter P. & Spreeuwenberg, Peter & Schellevis, François & Westert, Gert P., 2010. "Do guidelines create uniformity in medical practice?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 209-216, January.
- Kravitz, Richard L. & Krackhardt, David & Melnikow, Joy & Franz, Carol E. & Gilbert, William M. & Zach, Andra & Paterniti, Debora A. & Romano, Patrick S., 2003. "Networked for change? identifying obstetric opinion leaders and assessing their opinions on caesarean delivery," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 57(12), pages 2423-2434, December.
- Jonathan Skinner & Douglas Staiger, 2007.
"Technology Adoption from Hybrid Corn to Beta-Blockers,"
in: Hard-to-Measure Goods and Services: Essays in Honor of Zvi Griliches, pages 545-570
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Skinner & Douglas Staiger, 2005. "Technology adoption from hybrid corn to beta blockers," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Jonathan Skinner & Douglas Staiger, 2005. "Technology Adoption From Hybrid Corn to Beta Blockers," NBER Working Papers 11251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce Sacerdote, 2001.
"Peer Effects With Random Assignment: Results For Dartmouth Roommates,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 116(2), pages 681-704, May.
- Bruce Sacerdote, 2000. "Peer Effects with Random Assignment: Results for Dartmouth Roommates," NBER Working Papers 7469, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joel A. C. Baum & Paul Ingram, 1998. "Survival-Enhancing Learning in the Manhattan Hotel Industry, 1898--1980," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(7), pages 996-1016, July.
- Brock,W.A. & Durlauf,S.N., 2000.
"Discrete choice with social interactions,"
7, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Fowler, J.H. & Christakis, N.A., 2008. "Estimating peer effects on health in social networks: A response to Cohen-Cole and Fletcher; and Trogdon, Nonnemaker, and Pais," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1400-1405, September.
- Marco D. Huesch*, 2009. "Comment on ‘‘The Diffusion of a Medical Innovation: Is Success in the Stars?’’," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 1270-1273, April.
- Linda Argote & Bill McEvily & Ray Reagans, 2003. "Managing Knowledge in Organizations: An Integrative Framework and Review of Emerging Themes," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(4), pages 571-582, April.
- Jippes, Erik & Achterkamp, Marjolein C. & Brand, Paul L.P. & Kiewiet, Derk Jan & Pols, Jan & van Engelen, Jo M.L., 2010. "Disseminating educational innovations in health care practice: Training versus social networks," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 70(10), pages 1509-1517, May.
- Mary A. Burke & Gary M. Fournier & Kislaya Prasad, 2007. "The Diffusion of a Medical Innovation: Is Success in the Stars?," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 73(3), pages 588–603, January.
- Brian Uzzi & Ryon Lancaster, 2003. "Relational Embeddedness and Learning: The Case of Bank Loan Managers and Their Clients," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(4), pages 383-399, April.
- Meltzer, David & Chung, Jeanette & Khalili, Parham & Marlow, Elizabeth & Arora, Vineet & Schumock, Glen & Burt, Ron, 2010. "Exploring the use of social network methods in designing healthcare quality improvement teams," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 71(6), pages 1119-1130, September.
- Andrew H. Van de Ven, 1986. "Central Problems in the Management of Innovation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(5), pages 590-607, May.
- Manski, Charles F, 1993.
"Identification of Endogenous Social Effects: The Reflection Problem,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(3), pages 531-42, July.
- Fattore, Giovanni & Frosini, Francesca & Salvatore, Domenico & Tozzi, Valeria, 2009. "Social network analysis in primary care: The impact of interactions on prescribing behaviour," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 92(2-3), pages 141-148, October.
- Anita L. Tucker & Ingrid M. Nembhard & Amy C. Edmondson, 2007. "Implementing New Practices: An Empirical Study of Organizational Learning in Hospital Intensive Care Units," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(6), pages 894-907, June.
- Escarce, JoseJ., 1996. "Externalities in hospitals and physician adoption of a new surgical technology: An exploratory analysis," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 715-734, December.
- Amitabh Chandra & Douglas O. Staiger, 2007. "Productivity Spillovers in Health Care: Evidence from the Treatment of Heart Attacks," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 115, pages 103-140.
- Raghuram Iyengar & Christophe Van den Bulte & Thomas W. Valente, 2011. "Opinion Leadership and Social Contagion in New Product Diffusion," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(2), pages 195-212, 03-04.
- David S. Lyle, 2007. "Estimating and Interpreting Peer and Role Model Effects from Randomly Assigned Social Groups at West Point," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(2), pages 289-299, May.
- Ray Reagans & Linda Argote & Daria Brooks, 2005. "Individual Experience and Experience Working Together: Predicting Learning Rates from Knowing Who Knows What and Knowing How to Work Together," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(6), pages 869-881, June.
- Lyons Russell, 2011. "The Spread of Evidence-Poor Medicine via Flawed Social-Network Analysis," Statistics, Politics and Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 29, May.
- Charles E. Phelps, 1992. "Diffusion of Information in Medical Care," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(3), pages 23-42, Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:73:y:2011:i:12:p:1756-1765. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.