Longitudinal study of child immunization determinants in China
This paper exploits longitudinal data and methods to study the determinants of child immunization in 1990s China. Many countries such as China are experiencing rapid economic transitions characterized by declining public health expenditures, privatizing health-care sectors, increased inequality and high income growth. It is still poorly understood how such changes affect utilization of preventive health care. Data from three waves of the China Health and Nutrition Survey were used to examine the immunization effects of child, household, and community health facility characteristics, as well as changes of such effects over time. Results indicate that gender and wealth differentials in immunization increased during China's transition, though these effects were small. The most important determinants were service price and maternal education. Wealth effects were minimal, indicating that the long-run effect of economic transition on immunization rates may depend crucially on the extent to which more rapid economic growth leads to increased educational investments. Methodologically, the paper finds substantial bias from standard cross-sectional models in contrast to panel data approaches, adding to the case for expanded collection of longitudinal health data in developing countries.
Volume (Year): 61 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhang, Xinglu & Wang, Lixia & Zhu, Xu & Wang, Kean, 1999. "Knowledge, attitude and practice survey on immunization service delivery in Guangxi and Gansu, China," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 49(8), pages 1125-1127, October.
- Hausman, Jerry, 2015.
"Specification tests in econometrics,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 38(2), pages 112-134.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978. "Specification Tests in Econometrics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-1271, November.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976. "Specification Tests in Econometrics," Working papers 185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Deon Filmer & Lant Pritchett, 2001. "Estimating Wealth Effects Without Expenditure Data—Or Tears: An Application To Educational Enrollments In States Of India," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 38(1), pages 115-132, February.
- Kim Streatfield & Masri Singarimbun & Ian Diamond, 1990. "Maternal Education and Child Immunization," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 27(3), pages 447-455, August.
- Sonalde Desai & Soumya Alva, 1998. "Maternal education and child health: Is there a strong causal relationship?," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 35(1), pages 71-81, February.
- John Mullahy, 1999. "It'll only hurt a second? Microeconomic determinants of who gets flu shots," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(1), pages 9-24.
- John Mullahy, 1998. "It'll Only Hurt a Second? Microeconomic Determinants of Who Gets Flu Shots," NBER Working Papers 6500, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Liu, Xingzhu & Mills, Anne, 2002. "Financing reforms of public health services in China: lessons for other nations," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 54(11), pages 1691-1698, June.
- Mark Montgomery & Michele Gragnolati & Kathleen Burke & Edmundo Paredes, 2000. "Measuring living standards with proxy variables," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 37(2), pages 155-174, May.
- Pande, Rohini P. & Yazbeck, Abdo S., 2003. "What's in a country average? Wealth, gender, and regional inequalities in immunization in India," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 57(11), pages 2075-2088, December.
- Gauri, Varun & Khaleghian, Peyvand, 2002. "Immunization in Developing Countries: Its Political and Organizational Determinants," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 2109-2132, December.
- Gauri, Varun & Khaleghian, Peyvand, 2002. "Immunization in developing countries : its political and organizational determinants," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2769, The World Bank.
- Gary Chamberlain, 1980. "Analysis of Covariance with Qualitative Data," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 225-238. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:61:y:2005:i:3:p:601-611. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.