Measurement of development and regional disparities in Greek periphery: A multivariate approach
The identification of regional disparities and regional growth patterns is an important factor affecting policy formulation. Single indicator, usually GDP-based, approaches have revealed significant shortcomings. In this work we provide a methodology and the respective tools to analyse regional disparities and development patterns. Aiming at capturing the different aspects of development and quality of life our approach is multi-dimensional: we, first, develop a composite index; we, then, apply multivariate clustering for identifying regions with similar socio-economic profiles. The methodology is applied to examine Greek regions. The results do not provide strong evidence for convergence of Greek regions during the period 1995â2007.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hatefi, S.M. & Torabi, S.A., 2010. "A common weight MCDA-DEA approach to construct composite indicators," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 114-120, November.
- Sashi Sivramkrishna & Ramakrushna Panigrahi, 2003. "Articulating Uneven Regional Development: Artificial intelligence as a tool in development planning," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 437-456.
- Barrios, Salvador & Strobl, Eric, 2009.
"The dynamics of regional inequalities,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 575-591, September.
- Salvador Barrios & Eric Strobl, 2005. "The dynamics of regional inequalities," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 229, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Eric Strobl, & Salvador Barrios, 2006. "The dynamics of regional inequalities," Working Papers 2006-01, FEDEA.
- Andrés Marchante & Bienvenido Ortega & José Sánchez, 2006. "The Evolution of Well-Being in Spain (1980–2001): A Regional Analysis," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 76(2), pages 283-316, 04.
- Meghnad Desai & Sakiko Fukuda-Parr & Claes Johansson & Fransisco Sagasti, 2002. "Measuring the Technology Achievement of Nations and the Capacity to Participate in the Network Age," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(1), pages 95-122.
- Costas Siriopoulos & Dimitrios Asteriou, 1997. "Testing the convergence hypothesis for Greece," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(5), pages 383-389.
- George Petrakos & Yiannis Saratsis, 2000. "articles: Regional inequalities in Greece," Papers in Regional Science, Springer;Regional Science Association International, vol. 79(1), pages 57-74.
- Zhou, Peng & Poh, Kim Leng & Ang, Beng Wah, 2007. "A non-radial DEA approach to measuring environmental performance," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(1), pages 1-9, April.
- Costas Siriopoulos & Dimitrios Asteriou, 1998. "Testing for Convergence Across the Greek Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(6), pages 537-546, August.
- Satya Paul, 1996. "A modified human development index and international comparison," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(10), pages 677-682.
- S. Alexiadis & J. Tomkins, 2004. "Convergence clubs in the regions of Greece," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(6), pages 387-391.
- Streeten, Paul, 1994. "Human Development: Means and Ends," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 232-237, May.
- M. Desai, S. Fukuda-Parr, C. Johansson, and F. Sagasti, 2002. "Measuring Technology Achievement of Nations and the Capacity to Participate in the Network Age," Human Development Occasional Papers (1992-2007) HDOCPA-2002-22, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- George Petrakos & Panagiotis Artelaris, 2009. "European Regional Convergence Revisited: A Weighted Least Squares Approach," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 314-331.
- del Campo, Cristina & Monteiro, Carlos M.F. & Soares, Joao Oliveira, 2008. "The European regional policy and the socio-economic diversity of European regions: A multivariate analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 187(2), pages 600-612, June.
- Frederik Booysen, 2002. "An Overview and Evaluation of Composite Indices of Development," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 59(2), pages 115-151, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceps:v:45:y:2011:i:4:p:174-183. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.