The Human Development Index: A History
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Slottje, Daniel J, 1991. "Measuring the Quality of Life across Countries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, pages 684-693.
- Sen, Amartya, 1981. "Public Action and the Quality of Life in Developing Countries," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 43(4), pages 287-319, November.
- Krishna Mazumdar, 2003. "A New Approach to Human Development Index," Review of Social Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, pages 535-549.
- D. P. Doessel & Rukmani Gounder, 1994.
"Theory and measurement of living levels: Some empirical results for the human development index,"
Journal of International Development,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., pages 415-435.
- Ghatak, Subrata & Levine, Paul L, 1992. "The Adjustment Towards National Solvency in Developing Countries: An Application to India," CEPR Discussion Papers 647, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Miles Cahill, 2002. "Diminishing returns to GDP and the Human Development Index," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(13), pages 885-887.
- Satya Paul, 1996. "A modified human development index and international comparison," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(10), pages 677-682.
- Sadequl Islam, 1995. "The human development index and per capita GDP," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(5), pages 166-167.
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, 1998. "The human development index: some technical issues and alternative indices," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., pages 589-605.
- Aturupane, Harsha & Glewwe, Paul & Isenman, Paul, 1994. "Poverty, Human Development, and Growth: An Emerging Consensus?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, pages 244-249.
- Srinivasan, T N, 1994. "Human Development: A New Paradigm or Reinvention of the Wheel?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, pages 238-243.
- Julie Nelson, 2004. "Freedom, Reason, and More: Feminist economics and human development," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, pages 309-333.
- Sudhir Anand & Amartya Sen, 2000. "The Income Component of the Human Development Index," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, pages 83-106.
- Ravallion, Martin, 1997. "Good and bad growth: The human development reports," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 631-638, May.
- Sudhir Anand and Amartya Sen, 2000. "The Income Component of Human Development Index," Human Development Occasional Papers (1992-2007) HDOCPA-2000-01, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Humayon A. Dar, 2004. "On making human development more humane," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(11/12), pages 1071-1088, October.
- Streeten, Paul, 1994. "Human Development: Means and Ends," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, pages 232-237.
- Sagar, Ambuj D. & Najam, Adil, 1998. "The human development index: a critical review," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 249-264, June.
- Guido Luchters & Lukas Menkhoff, 2000. "Chaotic signals from HDI measurement," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(4), pages 267-270.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Weale, Martin, 1992. "On measuring the quality of life," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 119-131, January.
- Cooter, Robert & Rappoport, Peter, 1984. "Were the Ordinalists Wrong about Welfare Economics?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, pages 507-530.
- Ramakrushna Panigrahi & Sashi Sivramkrishna, 2002. "An Adjusted Human Development Index: Robust Country Rankings with Respect to the Choice of Fixed Maximum and Minimum Indicator Values," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, pages 301-311.
- Ram, Rati, 1982. "Composite indices of physical quality of life, basic needs fulfilment, and income : A principal component representation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, pages 227-247.
- Hicks, Norman & Streeten, Paul, 1979. "Indicators of development: The search for a basic needs yardstick," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 7(6), pages 567-580, June.
- Basudeb Biswas & Frank Caliendo, 2002. "A Multivariate Analysis of the Human Development Index," Working Papers 2002-11, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nayak, Purusottam & Mishra, SK, 2012. "Efficiency of Pena’s P2 Distance in Construction of Human Development Indices," MPRA Paper 39022, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Débora Viana e Sousa Pereira & Caroline Maria de Miranda Mota, 2016. "Human Development Index Based on ELECTRE TRI-C Multicriteria Method: An Application in the City of Recife," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, pages 19-45.
- Jörg Döpke & Philip Maschke, 2015.
"Are There Business Cycles “beyond GDP”? Alternative Measures to GDP at Business Cycle Frequencies,"
Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik),
Duncker & Humblot GmbH, Berlin, vol. 61(2), pages 115-139.
- Maschke, Philip & Döpke, Jörg, 2014. "Are there Business Cycles beyond GDP? Alternative Measures to GDP at Business Cycle Frequencies," Annual Conference 2014 (Hamburg): Evidence-based Economic Policy 100465, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Lin Yang, 2017. "Measuring individual well-being: A multidimensional index integrating subjective well-being and preferences," CASE Papers /202, Centre for Analysis of Social Exclusion, LSE.
- Débora Pereira & Caroline Mota, 2016. "Human Development Index Based on ELECTRE TRI-C Multicriteria Method: An Application in the City of Recife," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, pages 19-45.
- repec:cmj:seapas:y:2017:i:13:p:109-125 is not listed on IDEAS
- Daniele, Vittorio & Malanima, Paolo, 2016. "Trends in Mediterranean Inequalities 1950-2015," MPRA Paper 78324, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gisselquist, Rachel M., 2013. "Evaluating Governance Indexes: Critical and Less Critical Questions," WIDER Working Paper Series 068, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Ganlin Huang & Yaqiong Jiang, 2017. "Urbanization and Socioeconomic Development in Inner Mongolia in 2000 and 2010: A GIS Analysis," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 9(2), pages 1-11, February.
- Nayak, Purusottam, 2013. "Methodological Developments in Human Development Literature," MPRA Paper 50608, University Library of Munich, Germany.
More about this item
Keywordshuman development; well-being; human development index; economic history of thought; social welfare measurement;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-05-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2008-05-10 (Development)
- NEP-HAP-2008-05-10 (Economics of Happiness)
- NEP-HIS-2008-05-10 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HPE-2008-05-10 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-HRM-2008-05-10 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
- NEP-PKE-2008-05-10 (Post Keynesian Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uma:periwp:wp127. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Judy Fogg). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/permaus.html .