Using education to reduce the wage gap between men and women
Using a theoretical model we analyzed the decision of men and women to acquire human capital in the form of extra education. We found that women tend to seek higher levels of education than men in an attempt to reduce the wage gap between themselves and their male peers. We also showed that for women with strong abilities, this strategy is an effective one.
Volume (Year): 40 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620175|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1989. "Time trends of the returns to education: Cross-national evidence," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 225-231, June.
- Francine D. Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn, 2003.
"Understanding International Differences in the Gender Pay Gap,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(1), pages 106-144, January.
- Francine D. Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn, 2001. "Understanding International Differences in the Gender Pay Gap," NBER Working Papers 8200, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Van W. Kolpin & Larry D & Singell & Jr, 1996. "The gender composition and scholarly performance of economics departments: A test for employment discrimination," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 49(3), pages 408-423, April.
- Malul, Miki, 2009. "Older workers' employment in dynamic technology changes," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 809-813, October.
- Albrecht, James & Björklund, Anders & Vroman, Susan, 2001.
"Is There a Glass Ceiling in Sweden?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
282, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Malul Miki & Luski Israel, 2009. "The Optimal Policy Combination of the Minimum Wage and the Earned Income Tax Credit," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-24, November.
- Francine D. Blau & Lawrence Kahn, 1995.
"The Gender Earnings Gap: Some International Evidence,"
in: Differences and Changes in Wage Structures, pages 105-144
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francine D. Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn, 1992. "The Gender Earnings Gap: Some International Evidence," NBER Working Papers 4224, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Agell, Jonas & Lommerud, Kjell Erik, 1997. "Minimum wages and the incentives for skill formation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 25-40, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceco:v:40:y:2011:i:4:p:412-416. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.