Is the UAE stock market integrated with the USA stock market? New evidence from asymmetric causality testing
The integration and development of financial markets is an important issue because it can result in economic growth via increasing exchange and more efficient allocation of scarce resources. It is also important for defining and conducting appropriate policies to counteract adverse spill-over effects across markets. The main goal of this paper is to assess the degree of integration or segmentation of the UAE stock market with the USA market by conducting new causality tests developed by Hatemi-J (forthcoming) that separate the effect of positive shocks from the negative ones. The empirical results based on standard symmetric causality tests indicate that the UAE market is segmented from the USA market. However, when the asymmetric causality tests are implemented the results reveal clearly that the UAE market is indeed integrated with the USA market. These results show, in addition, that the degree of integration is stronger when the markets are falling than rising.
Volume (Year): 26 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ribaf|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hammoudeh, Shawkat & Choi, Kyongwook, 2006. "Behavior of GCC stock markets and impacts of US oil and financial markets," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 22-44, March.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- Jurgen A Doornik & Henrik Hansen, "undated".
"An omnibus test for univariate and multivariate normalit,"
W4&91., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Jurgen A. Doornik & Henrik Hansen, 2008. "An Omnibus Test for Univariate and Multivariate Normality," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(s1), pages 927-939, December.
- Rossella Calvi, 2010. "Assessing financial integration: a comparison between Europe and East Asia," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 423, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Granger, Clive W.J. & YOON, GAWON, 2002.
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt9qn5f61j, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Agmon, Tamir, 1972. "The Relations Among Equity Markets: A Study of Share Price Co-Movements in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany and Japan," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 27(4), pages 839-855, September.
- Bernd Hayo & David Buettner, 2011.
"EMU-related News and Financial Markets in the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland,"
- D Büttner & B. Hayo, 2012. "EMU-related news and financial markets in the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(31), pages 4037-4053, November.
- David Büttner & Bernd Hayo, 2008. "EMU-related News and Financial Markets in the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland," MAGKS Papers on Economics 200815, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- R. Scott Hacker & Abdulnasser Hatemi-J, 2006. "Tests for causality between integrated variables using asymptotic and bootstrap distributions: theory and application," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(13), pages 1489-1500.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-438, July.
- A. Hatemi-J, 2003. "A new method to choose optimal lag order in stable and unstable VAR models," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 135-137.
- Kim, Jae H. & Shamsuddin, Abul, 2008. "Are Asian stock markets efficient? Evidence from new multiple variance ratio tests," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 518-532, June.
- Claus, Edda & Lucey, Brian M., 2012. "Equity market integration in the Asia Pacific region: Evidence from discount factors," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 137-163.
- Abdulnasser Hatemi-J & Eduardo Roca, 2004. "An examination of the equity market price linkage between Australia and the European Union using leveraged bootstrap method," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(6), pages 475-488.
- María Pía Olivero & Robert Madak, 2013. "Financial integration within Europe and the international transmission of business cycles among industrialized countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(1), pages 111-122, January.
- Dooley, Michael & Hutchison, Michael, 2009.
"Transmission of the U.S. subprime crisis to emerging markets: Evidence on the decoupling-recoupling hypothesis,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1331-1349, December.
- Michael P. Dooley & Michael M. Hutchison, 2009. "Transmission of the U.S. Subprime Crisis to Emerging Markets: Evidence on the Decoupling-Recoupling Hypothesis," NBER Working Papers 15120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hamao, Yasushi & Masulis, Ronald W & Ng, Victor, 1990. "Correlations in Price Changes and Volatility across International Stock Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(2), pages 281-307.
- Alvarez-Ramirez, Jose & Rodriguez, Eduardo & Carlos Echeverria, Juan, 2009. "A DFA approach for assessing asymmetric correlations," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 388(12), pages 2263-2270.
- Samarakoon, Lalith P., 2011. "Stock market interdependence, contagion, and the U.S. financial crisis: The case of emerging and frontier markets," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 724-742.
- Adler, Michael & Dumas, Bernard, 1983. " International Portfolio Choice and Corporation Finance: A Synthesis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 925-984, June.
- Kenourgios, Dimitris & Samitas, Aristeidis, 2011. "Equity market integration in emerging Balkan markets," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 296-307, September.
- Jasim Al-Ajmi & J. H. Kim, 2012. "Are Gulf stock markets efficient? Evidence from new multiple variance ratio tests," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(14), pages 1737-1747, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:riibaf:v:26:y:2012:i:2:p:273-280. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.