Storage and security of supply in the medium run
This paper analyzes the role of private storage in a market for a commodity (e.g. natural gas) whose supply is subject to the threat of an irreversible disruption. We focus on the medium term in which seasonality of demand and exhaustibility can be neglected. We characterize the price and inventory dynamics (accumulation, drainage and limit stocks) in a competitive equilibrium with rational expectations. We show the robustness of our results to alternative scenarios in which either a disruption has finite duration or the crisis is foreseen. During the crisis consumers may put pressure on the Government to intervene, but too severe antispeculative measures would inefficiently discourage storage. Practical solutions to this dilemma cause welfare losses that we characterize and quantify.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1992.
"Protection For Sale,"
NBER Working Papers
4149, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Gene & Helpman, Elhanan, 1993. "Protection for Sale," CEPR Discussion Papers 827, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1992. "Protection for Sale," Papers 21-92, Tel Aviv.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1992. "Protection for Sale," Papers 162, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Creti, Anna & Villeneuve, Bertrand, 2008.
"Equilibrium Storage in a Markov Economy,"
11944, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Creti, Anna & Villeneuve, Bertrand, 2010. "Equilibrium Storage in a Markov Economy," MPRA Paper 20520, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Villeneuve, Bertrand & Creti, Anna, 2007. "Equilibrium Storage in a Markov Economy," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2280, Paris Dauphine University.
- William W. Hogan, 1983. "Oil Stockpiling: Help Thy Neighbor," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 49-72.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Weiner, Robert J., 1989. "Dynamic policy coordination: Stockpiling for energy security," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 9-22, January.
- Tolley, George S & Wilman, John D, 1977. "The Foreign Dependence Question," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(2), pages 323-47, April.
- Machiel Mulder & Gijsbert Zwart, 2006. "Market failures and government policies in gas markets," CPB Memorandum 143, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Brian D. Wright & Jeffrey C. Williams, 1982. "The Roles of Public and Private Storage in Managing Oil Import Disruptions," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(2), pages 341-353, Autumn.
- Weisser, Hellmuth, 2007. "The security of gas supply--a critical issue for Europe?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 1-5, January.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521326162 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hillman, Arye L & Long, Ngo Van, 1983. "Pricing and Depletion of an Exhaustible Resource When There Is Anticipation of Trade Disruption," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(2), pages 215-33, May.
- Hallett, A. J. Hughes, 1984. "Optimal stockpiling in a high-risk commodity market the case of copper," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 211-238, November.
- Sweeney, James L, 1977. "Economics of Depletable Resources: Market Forces and Intertemporal Bias," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 125-41, February.
- Albert L. Nichols & Richard J. Zeckhauser, 1977. "Stockpiling Strategies and Cartel Prices," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 8(1), pages 66-96, Spring.
- Bergstrom, Clas & Loury, Glenn C & Persson, Mats, 1985. "Embargo Threats and the Management of Emergency Reserves," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(1), pages 26-42, February.
- Stern, Jonathan, 2004. "UK gas security: time to get serious," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(17), pages 1967-1979, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:resene:v:31:y:2009:i:1:p:24-38. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.