Estimating the impact of wind generation and wind forecast errors on energy prices and costs in Ireland
This paper studies the impact of wind generation on system costs and prices in Ireland. The importance of wind power and potential impacts on system costs is of interest to power system planners and policy makers globally. However, the impact of wind generation on system costs has been only studied with limited actual data from power systems with increased wind penetration. The paper uses a unique dataset of half-hourly system demand, generation, forecast and actual wind generation, along with Irish system marginal price (SMP) data from 2008 to autumn 2012. An econometric time-series model of SMP as a function of forecast and realized demand and wind generation yields results which suggest that each 1% increase in wind generation reduces SMP in Ireland by about 0.06%, while each 1% wind forecast error increases SMP about 0.02%. In absolute terms, though, at the mean the impact of wind forecast errors is small, or about 0.4€cent/MWh-wind generated.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Di Cosmo, Valeria & Malaguzzi Valeri, Laura, 2014.
"The incentive to invest in thermal plants in the presence of wind generation,"
Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 306-315.
- di Cosmo, Valeria & Malaguzzi Valeri, Laura, 2012. "The Incentive to Invest in Thermal Plants in the Presence of Wind Generation," Papers WP446, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- di Cosmo, Valeria & Malaguzzi Valeri, Laura, 2014. "The Incentive to Invest in Thermal Plants in the Presence of Wind Generation," Papers RB2014/2/1, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- O'Mahoney, Amy & Denny, Eleanor, 2013. "Electricity prices and generator behaviour in gross pool electricity markets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 628-637.
- O'Mahoney, Amy & Denny, Eleanor, 2011. "Electricity Prices and Generator Behaviour in Gross Pool Electricity Markets," MPRA Paper 34847, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Felder, Frank A., 2011. "Examining Electricity Price Suppression Due to Renewable Resources and Other Grid Investments," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 34-46, May.
- Troy, Niamh & Denny, Eleanor & O'Malley, Mark, 2010. "Base-load cycling on a system with significant wind penetration," MPRA Paper 34848, University Library of Munich, Germany. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)