The importance of being small. Or when countries are areas and not points
Market size and transport costs are important ingredients of international trade. We propose to look at these issues from a different perspective. Using a Hotelling duopoly model with quadratic transport costs, we analyse the welfare effects of international trade between two countries that differ only in size. Our results indicate that in most cases free trade will lead to a decrease in prices. Furthermore, the firm of the small country will benefit from market expansion. Finally, the model predicts that the small country benefits from a move towards free trade whereas the opening to trade may hurt the large country.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schmitt, Nicolas, 1995. "Product Imitation, Product Differentiation and International Trade," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(3), pages 583-608, August.
- Cabrales, Antonio & Motta, Massimo, 1996.
"Country Asymmetries, Endogenous Product Choice and the Speed of Trade Liberalization,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1326, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Antonio Cabrales & Massimo Motta, 1996. "Country asymmetries, endogenous product choice and the speed of trade liberalization," Economics Working Papers 259, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jan 1998.
- Markusen, James R., 1981. "Trade and the gains from trade with imperfect competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 531-551, November.
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & THISSE, Jacques-François, .
"On Hotelling's "Stability in competition","
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-385, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ohsawa, Yoshiaki, 1999. "Cross-border shopping and commodity tax competition among governments," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 33-51, January.
- Economides, Nicholas, 1984. "The principle of minimum differentiation revisited," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 345-368, April.
- Deardorff, Alan V., 1984. "Testing trade theories and predicting trade flows," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 10, pages 467-517 Elsevier.
- Tito CORDELLA, 1996. "On the possibility of a perverse effect of intra-industry trade," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1996021, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521305525 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tito CORDELLA, 1993.
"Trade Liberalization and Oligopolistic Industries : A Welfare Appraisal,"
Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain)
1993033, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- CORDELLA, Tito, . "Trade liberalization and oligopolistic industries: a welfare appraisal," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1049, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Tito Cordella, 1990. "Trade Liberalizaiton and Oligopolistic Industries: a Welfare Appraisal," Working Papers 100, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Alberto Alesina & Enrico Spolaore, 1995.
"On the Number and Size of Nations,"
NBER Working Papers
5050, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Motta, M., 1991.
"Sunk costs and trade liberalisation,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1991027, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Krugman, Paul, 1980. "Scale Economies, Product Differentiation, and the Pattern of Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 950-59, December.
- Shachmurove, Yochanan & Spiegel, Uriel, 1995. "On Nations' Size and Transportation Costs," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(2), pages 235-43, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:regeco:v:32:y:2002:i:3:p:381-408. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.