Revisiting â€œOn nationsâ€™ size and transportation costsâ€
In international trade as well in the "New Economic Geography", country size is represented solely by the size of the country's population. A notable exception is the paper by Shachmurove and Spiegel (1995). Applying the Hotelling model to international trade and using the geographical interpretation of the Hotelling line, the authors propose a model where countries differ not only in population size but also in terms of their geographical extent. However, under certain assumptions on the locations of the firms, a pure strategy Nash equilibrium does not exist. In this paper, an alternative way to circumvent this existence problem and to make the analysis possible is presented. The pure strategy Nash equilibrium is restored by changing the assumption on the pricing policies used by the firms. The analysis indicates that while the small country gains from free trade the overall welfare of the larger country is unaffected by the opening of the border. The analysis is also extended to include a discussion of the long run equilibrium locations of firms in the integrated market. The importance of both the population and the geographical size of the countries are shown to be determining in establishing the effect of free trade.
|Date of creation:||00 Jun 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- W. B. MacLeod & G. Norman & J.F. Thisse, 1987.
"Price Discrimination and Equilibrium in Monopolistic Competition,"
701, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- MacLeod, W.B. & Norman, G. & Thisse, J.-F., 1988. "Price discrimination and equilibrium in monopolistic competition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 429-446.
- Macleod, W.B. & Norman, G. & Thisse, J.-F., 1985. "Price discrimination and equilibrium in monopolistic competition," CORE Discussion Papers 1985006, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2000.
"Non-Europe : The Magnitude and Causes of Market Fragmentation in the EU,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2000. "Non-Europe: The magnitude and causes of market fragmentation in the EU," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 136(2), pages 284-314, June.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2004. "Non-Europe : the magnitude and causes of market fragmentation in the EU," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques bla99004a, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Motta, M., 1991.
"Sunk costs and trade liberalisation,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1991027, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Greenhut, Melvin L, 1981. "Spatial Pricing in the United States, West Germany and Japan," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 48(189), pages 79-86, February.
- Holger C. Wolf, 1997. "Patterns of Intra- and Inter-State Trade," NBER Working Papers 5939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thisse, J.-F. & Vives, X., 1987.
"On the strategic choice of spatial price policy,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1987008, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521283946 is not listed on IDEAS
- Shachmurove, Yochanan & Spiegel, Uriel, 1995. "On Nations' Size and Transportation Costs," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(2), pages 235-43, June.
- d'Aspremont, C & Gabszewicz, Jean Jaskold & Thisse, J-F, 1979.
"On Hotelling's "Stability in Competition","
Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1145-50, September.
- Antonio Cabrales & Massimo Motta, 1996.
"Country asymmetries, endogenous product choice and the speed of trade liberalization,"
Economics Working Papers
259, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jan 1998.
- Cabrales, Antonio & Motta, Massimo, 1996. "Country Asymmetries, Endogenous Product Choice and the Speed of Trade Liberalization," CEPR Discussion Papers 1326, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Markusen, James R., 1981. "Trade and the gains from trade with imperfect competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 531-551, November.
- Krugman, Paul, 1980. "Scale Economies, Product Differentiation, and the Pattern of Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 950-59, December.
- Hurter, Arthur Jr & Lederer, Phillip J., 1985. "Spatial duopoly with discriminatory pricing," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 541-553, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2001032. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.