A game-theoretic approach to transfer pricing in a vertically integrated supply chain
We study the problem of setting transfer prices in a vertically integrated supply chain, in which the divisions share technology and transactions costs. We develop a cooperative game that provides transfer prices for the intermediate products in the supply chain. This model is applied both when the market prices for these products are known and also when their valuations differ. We provide a solution that is fair and acceptable to all divisions. In the perfect information case, the Shapley value generates the transfer prices, while in the asymmetric case we obtain transfer prices from the solution to a linear program.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goetschalckx, Marc & Vidal, Carlos J. & Dogan, Koray, 2002. "Modeling and design of global logistics systems: A review of integrated strategic and tactical models and design algorithms," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 1-18, November.
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972.
"Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-795, December.
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971. "Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations," UCLA Economics Working Papers 10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Michael Alles & Srikant Datar, 1998. "Strategic Transfer Pricing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(4), pages 451-461, April.
- Jack Hirshleifer, 1956. "On the Economics of Transfer Pricing," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29, pages 172-172.
- Gjerdrum, Jonatan & Shah, Nilay & Papageorgiou, Lazaros G., 2002. "Fair transfer price and inventory holding policies in two-enterprise supply chains," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 143(3), pages 582-599, December.
- Rosenthal, E C, 1990. "Monotonicity of the Core and Value in Dynamic Cooperative Games," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 19(1), pages 45-57.
- William J. Baumol & Tibor Fabian, 1964. "Decomposition, Pricing for Decentralization and External Economies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 11(1), pages 1-32, September.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Shelanski, Howard A & Klein, Peter G, 1995. "Empirical Research in Transaction Cost Economics: A Review and Assessment," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(2), pages 335-361, October.
- Martin Shubik, 1962. "Incentives, Decentralized Control, the Assignment of Joint Costs and Internal Pricing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 8(3), pages 325-343, April.
- Martin Shubik, 1961. "Incentives, Decentralized Control, the Assignment of Joint Costs and Internal Pricing," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 112, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Gabrielsen, Tommy Staahl & Schjelderup, Guttorm, 1999. " Transfer Pricing and Ownership Structure," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 101(4), pages 673-688, December.
- Gabrielsen, T.S. & Schjelderup, G., 1999. "Transfer Pricing and Ownership Structure," Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen 202, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- Wilhelm, Wilbert & Liang, Dong & Rao, Brijesh & Warrier, Deepak & Zhu, Xiaoyan & Bulusu, Sharath, 2005. "Design of international assembly systems and their supply chains under NAFTA," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 467-493, November.
- Wettstein, David, 1994. "Allocation of resources in a divisionalized firm," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 51-58, August.
- Dikolli, Shane S. & Vaysman, Igor, 2006. "Information technology, organizational design, and transfer pricing," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1-2), pages 201-234, April.
- Kriens, J. & van Lieshout, J. Th. & Roemen, J. & Verheyen, P., 1983. "Management accounting and operational research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 339-352, August.
- Yao, Dong-Qing & Yue, Xiaohang & Liu, John, 2008. "Vertical cost information sharing in a supply chain with value-adding retailers," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 838-851, October.
- Alles, Michael & Newman, Paul & Noel, James, 1998. "The value of information in internal management communication," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 295-317, August.
- Yunzeng Wang & Yigal Gerchak, 2003. "Capacity Games in Assembly Systems with Uncertain Demand," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 5(3), pages 252-267, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)