A framework of economic analysis for tapered technology-manufacturing alliances
Globalization of production has altered the configuration of supply chains in many industries. Besides outsourcing, joint ventures and strategic alliances are increasingly established to create competitive production organizations. This paper addresses a case of tapered technology-manufacturing alliance between a process technology firm with captive manufacturing capability and an efficient manufacturing firm in an asset-heavy industry. A framework of economic analysis is first developed for fusing the factors of technology licensing, manufacturing efficiency, risk sharing, and demand uncertainty. Analysis methods of capacity economics are next described for participation analysis, capacity allocation, and contract term tradeoffs. Finally, we demonstrate the utility of the methods by numerical examples with stylized industry data and by an analysis of alliance stability when facing potential new entrants.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huang, George Q. & Qu, T., 2008. "Extending analytical target cascading for optimal configuration of supply chains with alternative autonomous suppliers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 39-54, September.
- Thomas, Douglas J. & Tyworth, John E., 2006. "Pooling lead-time risk by order splitting: A critical review," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 245-257, July.
- Teece, David J., 1986.
"Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy,"
Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 285-305, December.
- Teece, David J., 1993. "Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 112-113, April.
- Erica L. Plambeck & Terry A. Taylor, 2006. "Partnership in a Dynamic Production System with Unobservable Actions and Noncontractible Output," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(10), pages 1509-1527, October.
- Cai, Gangshu (George) & Zhang, Zhe George & Zhang, Michael, 2009. "Game theoretical perspectives on dual-channel supply chain competition with price discounts and pricing schemes," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 80-96, January.
- Arshinder & Kanda, Arun & Deshmukh, S.G., 2008. "Supply chain coordination: Perspectives, empirical studies and research directions," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 316-335, October.
- Kaouthar Lajili & Joseph T. Mahoney, 2006. "Revisiting agency and transaction costs theory predictions on vertical financial ownership and contracting: electronic integration as an organizational form choice," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(7), pages 573-586.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 2002. "Integration Versus Outsourcing In Industry Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 117(1), pages 85-120, February.
- Chou, Yon-Chun & Cheng, C.-T. & Yang, Feng-Cheng & Liang, Yi-Yu, 2007. "Evaluating alternative capacity strategies in semiconductor manufacturing under uncertain demand and price scenarios," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 591-606, February.
- Swaminathan, Jayashankar M., 2000. "Tool capacity planning for semiconductor fabrication facilities under demand uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 120(3), pages 545-558, February.
- Erica L. Plambeck & Terry A. Taylor, 2005. "Sell the Plant? The Impact of Contract Manufacturing on Innovation, Capacity, and Profitability," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(1), pages 133-150, January.
- Rosenthal, Edward C., 2008. "A game-theoretic approach to transfer pricing in a vertically integrated supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 542-552, October.
- Wang, Li Ming & Liu, Li Wen & Wang, Yong Jie, 2007. "Capacity decisions and supply price games under flexibility of backward integration," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 110(1-2), pages 85-96, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:127:y:2010:i:2:p:249-261. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.