Technological knowledge base, R&D organization structure and alliance formation: Evidence from the biopharmaceutical industry
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Jing Zhang & Charles Baden-Fuller & Vincent Mangematin, 2007. "Technological Knowledge Base, R&D Organization Structure and Alliance Formation: Evidence from the Biopharmaceutical Industry," Grenoble Ecole de Management (Post-Print) hal-00424512, HAL.
References listed on IDEAS
- Cockburn, Iain & Griliches, Zvi, 1988.
"Industry Effects and Appropriability Measures in the Stock Market's Valuation of R&D and Patents,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 419-423, May.
- Iain Cockburn & Zvi Griliches, 1987. "Industry Effects and Appropriability Measures in the Stock Markets Valuation of R&D and Patents," NBER Working Papers 2465, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce Kogut & Udo Zander, 1992. "Knowledge of the Firm, Combinative Capabilities, and the Replication of Technology," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 3(3), pages 383-397, August.
- Robert M. Grant & Charles Baden-Fuller, 2004. "A Knowledge Accessing Theory of Strategic Alliances," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 61-84, January.
- David J. TEECE, 2008.
"Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,in: The Transfer And Licensing Of Know-How And Intellectual Property Understanding the Multinational Enterprise in the Modern World, chapter 5, pages 67-87
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Teece, David J., 1986. "Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 285-305, December.
- Teece, David J., 1993. "Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 112-113, April.
- David J. Teece, 2003. "Profiting from Technological Innovation: Implications for Integration, Collaboration, Licensing and Public Policy," World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Essays In Technology Management And Policy Selected Papers of David J Teece, chapter 2, pages 11-46 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Baden-Fuller, Charles & Dean, Alison & McNamara, Peter & Hilliard, Bill, 2006. "Raising the returns to venture finance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 265-285, May.
- Kinder, Tony, 2003. "Go with the flow--a conceptual framework for supply relations in the era of the extended enterprise," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 503-523, March.
- Henderson, Rebecca., 1994. "The evolution of integrative capability : innovation in cardiovascular drug discovery," Working papers 3711-94., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Granstrand, Ove & Sjolander, Soren, 1990. "Managing innovation in multi-technology corporations," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 35-60, February.
- Cameron, A Colin & Trivedi, Pravin K, 1986. "Econometric Models Based on Count Data: Comparisons and Applications of Some Estimators and Tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(1), pages 29-53, January.
- Kathleen M. Eisenhardt & Claudia Bird Schoonhoven, 1996. "Resource-based View of Strategic Alliance Formation: Strategic and Social Effects in Entrepreneurial Firms," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 7(2), pages 136-150, April.
- Mol, Michael J., 2005. "Does being R&D intensive still discourage outsourcing?: Evidence from Dutch manufacturing," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 571-582, May.
- Argote, Linda & Ingram, Paul, 2000. "Knowledge Transfer: A Basis for Competitive Advantage in Firms," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 150-169, May.
- Julian Birkinshaw & Robert Nobel & Jonas Ridderstråle, 2002. "Knowledge as a Contingency Variable: Do the Characteristics of Knowledge Predict Organization Structure?," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 13(3), pages 274-289, June.
- Kleinknecht, Alfred & Reijnen, Jeroen O. N., 1992. "Why do firms cooperate on R&D? an empirical study," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 347-360, August.
- Arora, Ashish & Gambardella, Alfonso, 1994. "Evaluating technological information and utilizing it : Scientific knowledge, technological capability, and external linkages in biotechnology," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 91-114, June.
- Orsenigo, L. & Pammolli, F. & Riccaboni, Massimo, 2001. "Technological change and network dynamics: Lessons from the pharmaceutical industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 485-508, March.
- Henderson, Rebecca. & Cockburn, Iain., 1994. "Measuring competence? : exploring firm effects in pharmaceutical research," Working papers 3712-94., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Dunning, John H., 1994. "Multinational enterprises and the globalization of innovatory capacity," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 67-88, January.
- Gordon Walker & Bruce Kogut & Weijian Shan, 1997. "Social Capital, Structural Holes and the Formation of an Industry Network," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 8(2), pages 109-125, April.
- Glasmeier, Amy, 1991. "Technological discontinuities and flexible production networks: The case of Switzerland and the world watch industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 469-485, October.
- Soete, Luc, 1987. "The impact of technological innovation on international trade patterns: The evidence reconsidered," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2-4), pages 101-130, August.
- Roijakkers, Nadine & Hagedoorn, John & van Kranenburg, Hans, 2005. "Dual market structures and the likelihood of repeated ties - evidence from pharmaceutical biotechnology," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 235-245, March.
- Kauffman, Stuart & Lobo, Jose & Macready, William G., 2000. "Optimal search on a technology landscape," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 141-166, October.
- Arora, Ashish & Gambardella, Alfonso, 1990. "Complementarity and External Linkages: The Strategies of the Large Firms in Biotechnology," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(4), pages 361-379, June.
- Wang, Q. & von Tunzelmann, N., 2000. "Complexity and the functions of the firm: breadth and depth," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(7-8), pages 805-818, August.
- Heckman, James J & Borjas, George J, 1980. "Does Unemployment Cause Future Unemployment? Definitions, Questions and Answers from a Continuous Time Model of Heterogeneity and State Dependence," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 47(187), pages 247-283, August.
- Jansen, J.J.P. & van den Bosch, F.A.J. & Volberda, H.W., 2005. "Managing Potential and Realized Absorptive Capacity: How do Organizational Antecedents matter?," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2005-025-STR, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Suominen, Arho & Toivanen, Hannes & Seppänen, Marko, 2017. "Firms' knowledge profiles: Mapping patent data with unsupervised learning," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, vol. 115(C), pages 131-142.
- Chantale Mailhot & Stephanie Gagnon & François Normandin, 2010. "Managing A Plurality Of Interests And Collective Values," Portuguese Journal of Management Studies, ISEG, Universidade de Lisboa, vol. 0(3), pages 281-301.
- Nooteboom, Bart & Van Haverbeke, Wim & Duysters, Geert & Gilsing, Victor & van den Oord, Ad, 2007.
"Optimal cognitive distance and absorptive capacity,"
Elsevier, pages 1016-1034.
- Nooteboom, B. & Vanheverbeke, W.P.M. & Duysters, G.M. & Gilsing, V.A. & Oord van den, A.J., 2005. "Optimal cognitive distance and absorptive capacity," Working Papers 05.05, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies.
- Nooteboom, B. & Vanhaverbeke, W.P.M. & Duijsters, G.M. & Gilsing, V.A. & Oord, A., 2006. "Optimal Cognitive Distance and Absorptive Capacity," Discussion Paper 2006-33, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Lichtenthaler, Ulrich, 2010.
"Determinants of proactive and reactive technology licensing: A contingency perspective,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 55-66, February.
- Lichtenthaler, Ulrich, 2009. "The role of corporate technology strategy and patent portfolios in low-, medium- and high-technology firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 559-569, April.
- Braganza, Ashley & Brooks, Laurence & Nepelski, Daniel & Ali, Maged & Moro, Russ, 2017. "Resource management in big data initiatives: Processes and dynamic capabilities," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 70(C), pages 328-337.
- Isabel M. Bodas Freitas & Aldo Geuna & Federica Rossi, 2012.
"The governance of formal university--industry interactions: understanding the rationales for alternative models,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(1), pages 29-45, March.
- Isabel Maria Bodas Freitas & Aldo Geuna & Federica Rossi, 2012. "The governance of formal university-industry interactions: Understanding the rationales for alternative models," Grenoble Ecole de Management (Post-Print) hal-01487508, HAL.
- Mc Namara, Peter & Baden-Fuller, Charles, 2007. "Shareholder returns and the exploration-exploitation dilemma: R&D announcements by biotechnology firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 548-565, May.
- Hohberger, Jan & Almeida, Paul & Parada, Pedro, 2015. "The direction of firm innovation: The contrasting roles of strategic alliances and individual scientific collaborations," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 44(8), pages 1473-1487.
- Ipsita Roy, 2015. "Role of Human Resource Practices in Absorptive Capacity and R&D Cooperation," Jena Economic Research Papers 2015-018, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Kwak, Jooyoung & Lee, Heejin & Chung, Do Bum, 2012. "The evolution of alliance structure in China’s mobile telecommunication industry and implications for international standardization," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 966-976.
- repec:wsi:ijimxx:v:21:y:2017:i:01:n:s1363919617500013 is not listed on IDEAS
- Camisón, César & Forés, Beatriz, 2010. "Knowledge absorptive capacity: New insights for its conceptualization and measurement," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(7), pages 707-715, July.
- Avenel, E. & Favier, A.V. & Ma, S. & Mangematin, V. & Rieu, C., 2007.
"Diversification and hybridization in firm knowledge bases in nanotechnologies,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 864-870, July.
- Avenel, E. & Favier, A.V. & Ma, S. & Mangematin V. & Rieu, C., 2006. "Diversification and hybridisation in firm knowledge bases in nanotechnologies," Working Papers 200602, Grenoble Applied Economics Laboratory (GAEL).
- Eric Avenel & Anne-Violaine Favier & Simon Ma & Vincent Mangematin & Carole Rieu, 2007. "Diversification and hybridization in firm knowledge bases in nanotechnologies," Grenoble Ecole de Management (Post-Print) hal-00424531, HAL.
- repec:hal:journl:hal-00424531 is not listed on IDEAS
- Haeussler, Carolin & Patzelt, Holger & Zahra, Shaker A., 2012. "Strategic alliances and product development in high technology new firms: The moderating effect of technological capabilities," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 217-233.
- Mohammad Saleh Farazi & Ana Pérez-Luño & Shanthi Gopalakrishnan, 2016. "How Can Knowledge Structuration Serve Strategic Goals? A Theory For Technology Firms," Working Papers 16.01, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Business Organization and Marketing (former Department of Business Administration), revised Jun 2016.
- Gunno Park & Jina Kang, 2014. "Effect of Alliance Experience on New Alliance Formations and Internal R&D Capabilities," TEMEP Discussion Papers 2014119, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Sep 2014.
- Todd Davey & Sue Rossano & Peter Sijde, 2016. "Does context matter in academic entrepreneurship? The role of barriers and drivers in the regional and national context," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 41(6), pages 1457-1482, December.
- Kwangsoo Shin & Sang Ji Kim & Gunno Park, 2016. "How does the partner type in R&D alliances impact technological innovation performance? A study on the Korean biotechnology industry," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 141-164, March.
- Garcia Martinez, Marian & Zouaghi, Ferdaous & Sanchez Garcia, Mercedes, 2017. "Capturing value from alliance portfolio diversity: The mediating role of R&D human capital in high and low tech industries," Technovation, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 55-67.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:respol:v:36:y:2007:i:4:p:515-528. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/respol .