Effects of physical attractiveness, personality, and grooming on academic performance in high school
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Steven G. Rivkin & Eric A. Hanushek & John F. Kain, 2005. "Teachers, Schools, and Academic Achievement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(2), pages 417-458, March.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S & Biddle, Jeff E, 1994. "Beauty and the Labor Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1174-1194, December.
- Naci Mocan & Erdal Tekin, 2010. "Ugly Criminals," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 92(1), pages 15-30, February.
- James J. Heckman, 1976. "The Common Structure of Statistical Models of Truncation, Sample Selection and Limited Dependent Variables and a Simple Estimator for Such Models," NBER Chapters,in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 5, number 4, pages 475-492 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S. & Parker, Amy, 2005. "Beauty in the classroom: instructors' pulchritude and putative pedagogical productivity," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 369-376, August.
- Pfann, Gerard A. & Biddle, Jeff E. & Hamermesh, Daniel S. & Bosman, Ciska M., 2000. "Business success and businesses' beauty capital," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 201-207, May.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S., 2006.
"Changing looks and changing "discrimination": The beauty of economists,"
Elsevier, vol. 93(3), pages 405-412, December.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh, 2005. "Changing Looks and Changing "Discrimination:" The Beauty of Economists," NBER Working Papers 11712, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markus M. Mobius & Tanya S. Rosenblat, 2006. "Why Beauty Matters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(1), pages 222-235, March.
- Heckman, James, 2013. "Sample selection bias as a specification error," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Harper, Barry, 2000. " Beauty, Stature and the Labour Market: A British Cohort Study," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 62(0), pages 771-800, Special I.
- Brian A. Jacob, 2002. "Where the boys aren't: Non-cognitive skills, returns to school and the gender gap in higher education," NBER Working Papers 8964, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jacob, Brian A., 2002. "Where the boys aren't: non-cognitive skills, returns to school and the gender gap in higher education," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 589-598, December.
- Michael French, 2002. "Physical appearance and earnings: further evidence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(5), pages 569-572.
- Biddle, Jeff E & Hamermesh, Daniel S, 1998.
"Beauty, Productivity, and Discrimination: Lawyers' Looks and Lucre,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 172-201, January.
- Jeff E. Biddle & Daniel S. Hamermesh, 1995. "Beauty, Productivity and Discrimination: Lawyers' Looks and Lucre," NBER Working Papers 5366, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schwer, R. Keith & Daneshvary, Rennae, 2000. "Keeping up one's appearance: Its importance and the choice of type of hair-grooming establishment," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 207-222, April.
- Bernd Sussmuth, 2006. "Beauty in the classroom: are German students less blinded? Putative pedagogical productivity due to professors' pulchritude: peculiar or pervasive?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(2), pages 231-238.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hani Mansour & Terra McKinnish, 2011.
"Who Marries Differently-Aged Spouses?: Earnings, Ability and Appearance,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1123, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Mansour, Hani & McKinnish, Terra, 2012. "Who Marries Differently-Aged Spouses? Earnings, Ability and Appearance," IZA Discussion Papers 6678, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- López Bóo, Florencia & Rossi, Martín A. & Urzúa, Sergio S., 2013.
"The labor market return to an attractive face: Evidence from a field experiment,"
Elsevier, vol. 118(1), pages 170-172.
- López Bóo, Florencia & Rossi, Martín A. & Urzua, Sergio, 2012. "The Labor Market Return to an Attractive Face: Evidence from a Field Experiment," IZA Discussion Papers 6356, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Das, Jayoti & De Loach, Stephen B., 2011. "Mirror, mirror on the wall: The effect of time spent grooming on earnings," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 26-34, February.
- LIU Xing & SIERMINSKA Eva, 2014.
"Evaluating the effect of beauty on labor market outcomes: A review of the literature,"
LISER Working Paper Series
- Liu, Xing (Michelle) & Sierminska, Eva, 2014. "Evaluating the Effect of Beauty on Labor Market Outcomes: A Review of the Literature," IZA Discussion Papers 8526, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
More about this item
KeywordsPhysical attractiveness Personality Grooming Adolescents High school grades;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:labeco:v:16:y:2009:i:4:p:373-382. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/labeco .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.