Exchange rate shocks and trade: A multivariate GARCH-M approach
We build on the recent literature studying the effects of uncertainty on trade by introducing a model that combines a reduced form vector autoregression for the growth rates of exports, foreign income, and the real exchange rate (RER), with a multivariate GARCH model. Up to 12 lags of several conditional standard deviations are added to relevant mean equations, and all parameters are estimated simultaneously using maximum likelihood, thus allowing us to avoid two step procedures that are common in the literature. Using a large data set of both developed and emerging countries, we find evidence that RER uncertainty negatively impacts trade for several less developed countries. We also find that RER uncertainty tends to be associated with a real currency appreciation. When we compute generalized impulse response functions to study the impacts of unexpected shocks to RER growth on export growth, the results are typically asymmetric. Positive shocks generate substantial negative responses while unexpected depreciations produce relatively smaller positive responses, especially in our developing country sample.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ethier, Wilfred, 1973. "International Trade and the Forward Exchange Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(3), pages 494-503, June.
- Franke, Gunter, 1991. "Exchange rate volatility and international trading strategy," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 292-307, June.
- McKenzie, Michael D, 1999. " The Impact of Exchange Rate Volatility on International Trade Flows," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 71-106, February.
- Seo, Byeongseon, 2007. "Asymptotic distribution of the cointegrating vector estimator in error correction models with conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 68-111, March.
- Kroner, Kenneth F. & Lastrapes, William D., 1993. "The impact of exchange rate volatility on international trade: Reduced form estimates using the GARCH-in-mean model," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 298-318, June.
- Ling, Shiqing & McAleer, Michael, 2002.
"Stationarity and the existence of moments of a family of GARCH processes,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 109-117, January.
- Shiqing Ling & Michael McAleer, 2001. "Stationarity and the Existence of Moments of a Family of GARCH Processes," ISER Discussion Paper 0535, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Levy-Yeyati, Eduardo & Sturzenegger, Federico & Gluzmann, Pablo, 2007.
"Fear of Appreciation,"
42917, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2012.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati and Federico Sturzenegger, 2007. "Fear of Appreciation," Business School Working Papers fearapp, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Levy-Yeyati, Eduardo & Sturzenegger, Federico, 2007. "Fear of appreciation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4387, The World Bank.
- Levy-Yeyati, Eduardo & Sturzenegger, Federico, 2007. "Fear of Appreciation," Working Paper Series rwp07-047, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Viaene, Jean-Marie & de Vries, Casper G., 1992.
"International trade and exchange rate volatility,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1311-1321, August.
- Mustafa Caglayan & Omar S. Dahi & Firat Demir, 2013.
"EsTrade Flows, Exchange Rate Uncertainty, and Financial Depth: Evidence from 28 Emerging Countries,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 905-927, April.
- Mustafa Caglayan & Omar S. Dahi & Firat Demir, 2010. "Trade Flows, Exchange Rate Uncertainty and Financial Depth: Evidence from 28 Emerging Countries," Working Papers 2010011, The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics, revised May 2010.
- Demir, Firat & Caglayan, Mustafa & Dahi, Omar S., 2012. "Trade flows, exchange rate uncertainty and financial depth: evidence from 28 emerging countries," MPRA Paper 37400, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Menzie David Chinn & Jaewoo Lee, 2002.
"Current Account and Real Exchange Rate Dynamics in the G-7 Countries,"
IMF Working Papers
02/130, International Monetary Fund.
- Lee, Jaewoo & Chinn, Menzie D., 2006. "Current account and real exchange rate dynamics in the G7 countries," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 257-274, March.
- Lee,J. & Chinn,M.D., 2004. "Current account and real exchange rate dynamics in the G-7 countries," Working papers 11, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Rose, Andrew K, 2010.
"Exchange Rate Regimes in the Modern Era: Fixed, Floating, and Flaky,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7987, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2011. "Exchange Rate Regimes in the Modern Era : Fixed, Floating, and Flaky," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 49(3), pages 652-72, September.
- Thursby, Jerry G & Thursby, Marie C, 1987. "Bilateral Trade Flows, the Linder Hypothesis, and Exchange Risk," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 488-95, August.
- Jean-Marie Dufour & Lynda Khalaf & Marie-Claude Beaulieu, 2010. "Multivariate residual-based finite-sample tests for serial dependence and ARCH effects with applications to asset pricing models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(2), pages 263-285.
- Seo, Byeongseon, 1999. "Distribution theory for unit root tests with conditional heteroskedasticity1," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 113-144, July.
- Boero, Gianna & Marrocu, Emanuela, 2002. "The Performance of Non-linear Exchange Rate Models: A Forecasting Comparison," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(7), pages 513-42, November.
- Elliott, Graham & Rothenberg, Thomas J & Stock, James H, 1996.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 813-36, July.
- Tom Doan, . "ERSTEST: RATS procedure to perform Elliott-Rothenberg-Stock unit root tests," Statistical Software Components RTS00066, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992. "Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root," NBER Technical Working Papers 0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "GLSDETREND: RATS procedure to perform local to unity GLS detrending," Statistical Software Components RTS00077, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Sercu, Piet & Vanhulle, Cynthia, 1992. "Exchange rate volatility, international trade, and the value of exporting firms," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 155-182, February.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Scott W. Hegerty, 2007. "Exchange rate volatility and trade flows: a review article," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 34(3), pages 211-255, September.
- Cotter, John & Bredin, Don, 2005.
"Volatility and Irish Exports,"
3522, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baum, Christopher F. & Caglayan, Mustafa, 2010.
"On the sensitivity of the volume and volatility of bilateral trade flows to exchange rate uncertainty,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 79-93, February.
- Christopher F. Baum & Mustafa Caglayan, 2006. "On the Sensitivity of the Volume and Volatility of Bilateral Trade Flows to Exchange Rate Uncertainty," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 641, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 06 Feb 2008.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, SÃ©bastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen VK, .
"Multivariate GARCH models: a survey,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1847, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Rahman, Sajjadur & Serletis, Apostolos, 2009. "The effects of exchange rate uncertainty on exports," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 500-507, September.
- Cukierman, Alex & Meltzer, Allan H, 1986. "A Theory of Ambiguity, Credibility, and Inflation under Discretion and Asymmetric Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1099-1128, September.
- Peter B. Clark, 1973. "Uncertainty, Exchange Risk, And The Level Of International Trade," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 11(3), pages 302-313, 09.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan & David E. Runkle, 1993.
"On the relation between the expected value and the volatility of the nominal excess return on stocks,"
157, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi & Runkle, David E, 1993. " On the Relation between the Expected Value and the Volatility of the Nominal Excess Return on Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1779-1801, December.
- WenShwo Fang & YiHao Lai & Stephen M. Miller, 2005.
"Does Exchange Rate Risk Affect Exports Asymmetrically? Asian Evidence,"
2005-09, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Fang, WenShwo & Lai, YiHao & Miller, Stephen M., 2009. "Does exchange rate risk affect exports asymmetrically? Asian evidence," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 215-239, March.
- Christopher F. Baum & Mustafa Caglayan & Neslihan Ozkan, 2004.
"Nonlinear effects of exchange rate volatility on the volume of bilateral exports,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(1), pages 1-23.
- Christopher F. Baum & Mustafa Caglayan & Neslihan Ozkan, 2000. "Nonlinear Effects of Exchange Rate Volatility on the Volume of Bilateral Exports," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 488, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 30 Jul 2002.
- Silvana Tenreyro, 2003.
"On the trade impact of nominal exchange rate volatility,"
03-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Tenreyro, Silvana, 2007. "On the trade impact of nominal exchange rate volatility," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 485-508, March.
- Kevin B. Grier & Aaron D. Smallwood, 2007. "Uncertainty and Export Performance: Evidence from 18 Countries," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(4), pages 965-979, 06.
- Philippe BACCHETTA & Eric VAN WINCOOP, 1999.
"Does Exchange Rate Stability Increase Trade and Welfare ?,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
9917, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Eric van Wincoop & Philippe Bacchetta, 2000. "Does Exchange-Rate Stability Increase Trade and Welfare?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1093-1109, December.
- Kevin B. Grier & �lan T. Henry & Nilss Olekalns & Kalvinder Shields, 2004.
"The asymmetric effects of uncertainty on inflation and output growth,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(5), pages 551-565.
- Shields, KalvInder & Kevin B Grier & Olan T Henry & Nilss Olekalns, 2003. "The Asymmetric Effects of Uncertainty on Inflation and Output Growth," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 187, Royal Economic Society.
- Koop, Gary & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Potter, Simon M., 1996. "Impulse response analysis in nonlinear multivariate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 119-147, September.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-50, July.
- Rose, Andrew K., 1991. "The role of exchange rates in a popular model of international trade : Does the 'Marshall-Lerner' condition hold?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3-4), pages 301-316, May.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Robinson, P M, 1991. "Automatic Frequency Domain Inference on Semiparametric and Nonparametric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1329-63, September.
- Y. K. Tse, 2002. "Residual-based diagnostics for conditional heteroscedasticity models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 5(2), pages 358-374, 06.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1990. "Modelling the Coherence in Short-run Nominal Exchange Rates: A Multivariate Generalized ARCH Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 498-505, August.
- Kiliç Rehim, 2007. "Conditional Volatility and Distribution of Exchange Rates: GARCH and FIGARCH Models with NIG Distribution," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 11(3), pages 1-33, September.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Bollerslev, Tim, 2000. "The forward premium anomaly is not as bad as you think," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 471-488, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jimfin:v:37:y:2013:i:c:p:282-305. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.