Exchange rate shocks and trade: A multivariate GARCH-M approach
We build on the recent literature studying the effects of uncertainty on trade by introducing a model that combines a reduced form vector autoregression for the growth rates of exports, foreign income, and the real exchange rate (RER), with a multivariate GARCH model. Up to 12 lags of several conditional standard deviations are added to relevant mean equations, and all parameters are estimated simultaneously using maximum likelihood, thus allowing us to avoid two step procedures that are common in the literature. Using a large data set of both developed and emerging countries, we find evidence that RER uncertainty negatively impacts trade for several less developed countries. We also find that RER uncertainty tends to be associated with a real currency appreciation. When we compute generalized impulse response functions to study the impacts of unexpected shocks to RER growth on export growth, the results are typically asymmetric. Positive shocks generate substantial negative responses while unexpected depreciations produce relatively smaller positive responses, especially in our developing country sample.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan & David E. Runkle, 1993.
"On the relation between the expected value and the volatility of the nominal excess return on stocks,"
157, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi & Runkle, David E, 1993. " On the Relation between the Expected Value and the Volatility of the Nominal Excess Return on Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1779-1801, December.
- Shiqing Ling & Michael McAleer, 2001.
"Stationarity and the Existence of Moments of a Family of GARCH Processes,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0535, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Ling, Shiqing & McAleer, Michael, 2002. "Stationarity and the existence of moments of a family of GARCH processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 109-117, January.
- Kiliç Rehim, 2007. "Conditional Volatility and Distribution of Exchange Rates: GARCH and FIGARCH Models with NIG Distribution," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 11(3), pages 1-33, September.
- Levy-Yeyati, Eduardo & Sturzenegger, Federico, 2007.
"Fear of appreciation,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4387, The World Bank.
- Levy-Yeyati, Eduardo & Sturzenegger, Federico & Gluzmann, Pablo, 2007. "Fear of Appreciation," MPRA Paper 42917, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2012.
- Levy-Yeyati, Eduardo & Sturzenegger, Federico, 2007. "Fear of Appreciation," Working Paper Series rwp07-047, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati and Federico Sturzenegger, 2007. "Fear of Appreciation," Business School Working Papers fearapp, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Viaene, Jean-Marie & de Vries, Casper G., 1992.
"International trade and exchange rate volatility,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1311-1321, August.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rose, Andrew K., 1991. "The role of exchange rates in a popular model of international trade : Does the 'Marshall-Lerner' condition hold?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3-4), pages 301-316, May.
- Christopher F. Baum & Mustafa Caglayan & Neslihan Ozkan, 2004.
"Nonlinear effects of exchange rate volatility on the volume of bilateral exports,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(1), pages 1-23.
- Christopher F. Baum & Mustafa Caglayan & Neslihan Ozkan, 2000. "Nonlinear Effects of Exchange Rate Volatility on the Volume of Bilateral Exports," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 488, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 30 Jul 2002.
- WenShwo Fang & YiHao Lai & Stephen M. Miller, 2005.
"Does Exchange Rate Risk Affect Exports Asymmetrically? Asian Evidence,"
2005-09, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Fang, WenShwo & Lai, YiHao & Miller, Stephen M., 2009. "Does exchange rate risk affect exports asymmetrically? Asian evidence," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 215-239, March.
- Rahman, Sajjadur & Serletis, Apostolos, 2009. "The effects of exchange rate uncertainty on exports," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 500-507, September.
- Franke, Gunter, 1991. "Exchange rate volatility and international trading strategy," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 292-307, June.
- Menzie David Chinn & Jaewoo Lee, 2002.
"Current Account and Real Exchange Rate Dynamics in the G-7 Countries,"
IMF Working Papers
02/130, International Monetary Fund.
- Lee, Jaewoo & Chinn, Menzie D., 2006. "Current account and real exchange rate dynamics in the G7 countries," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 257-274, March.
- Lee,J. & Chinn,M.D., 2004. "Current account and real exchange rate dynamics in the G-7 countries," Working papers 11, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Kroner, Kenneth F. & Lastrapes, William D., 1993. "The impact of exchange rate volatility on international trade: Reduced form estimates using the GARCH-in-mean model," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 298-318, June.
- Baum, Christopher F. & Caglayan, Mustafa, 2010.
"On the sensitivity of the volume and volatility of bilateral trade flows to exchange rate uncertainty,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 79-93, February.
- Christopher F. Baum & Mustafa Caglayan, 2006. "On the Sensitivity of the Volume and Volatility of Bilateral Trade Flows to Exchange Rate Uncertainty," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 641, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 06 Feb 2008.
- Mustafa Caglayan & Omar S. Dahi & Firat Demir, 2013.
"EsTrade Flows, Exchange Rate Uncertainty, and Financial Depth: Evidence from 28 Emerging Countries,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 905-927, April.
- Demir, Firat & Caglayan, Mustafa & Dahi, Omar S., 2012. "Trade flows, exchange rate uncertainty and financial depth: evidence from 28 emerging countries," MPRA Paper 37400, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mustafa Caglayan & Omar S. Dahi & Firat Demir, 2010. "Trade Flows, Exchange Rate Uncertainty and Financial Depth: Evidence from 28 Emerging Countries," Working Papers 2010011, The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics, revised May 2010.
- Seo, Byeongseon, 1999. "Distribution theory for unit root tests with conditional heteroskedasticity1," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 113-144, July.
- Y. K. Tse, 2002. "Residual-based diagnostics for conditional heteroscedasticity models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 5(2), pages 358-374, 06.
- Rose, Andrew K, 2010.
"Exchange Rate Regimes in the Modern Era: Fixed, Floating, and Flaky,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7987, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2011. "Exchange Rate Regimes in the Modern Era : Fixed, Floating, and Flaky," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 49(3), pages 652-72, September.
- Cukierman, Alex & Meltzer, Allan H, 1986. "A Theory of Ambiguity, Credibility, and Inflation under Discretion and Asymmetric Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1099-1128, September.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen VK, .
"Multivariate GARCH models: a survey,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1847, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Don Bredin & John Cotter, 2011.
"Volatility and Irish Exports,"
200416, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Jean-Marie Dufour & Lynda Khalaf & Marie-Claude Beaulieu, 2010. "Multivariate residual-based finite-sample tests for serial dependence and ARCH effects with applications to asset pricing models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(2), pages 263-285.
- Kevin B. Grier & �lan T. Henry & Nilss Olekalns & Kalvinder Shields, 2004.
"The asymmetric effects of uncertainty on inflation and output growth,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(5), pages 551-565.
- Shields, KalvInder & Kevin B Grier & Olan T Henry & Nilss Olekalns, 2003. "The Asymmetric Effects of Uncertainty on Inflation and Output Growth," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 187, Royal Economic Society.
- Silvana Tenreyro, 2003.
"On the trade impact of nominal exchange rate volatility,"
03-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Tenreyro, Silvana, 2007. "On the trade impact of nominal exchange rate volatility," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 485-508, March.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-50, July.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Scott W. Hegerty, 2007. "Exchange rate volatility and trade flows: a review article," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 34(3), pages 211-255, September.
- Seo, Byeongseon, 2007. "Asymptotic distribution of the cointegrating vector estimator in error correction models with conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 68-111, March.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Bollerslev, Tim, 2000. "The forward premium anomaly is not as bad as you think," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 471-488, August.
- Ethier, Wilfred, 1973. "International Trade and the Forward Exchange Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(3), pages 494-503, June.
- Kevin B. Grier & Aaron D. Smallwood, 2007. "Uncertainty and Export Performance: Evidence from 18 Countries," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(4), pages 965-979, 06.
- McKenzie, Michael D, 1999. " The Impact of Exchange Rate Volatility on International Trade Flows," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 71-106, February.
- Robinson, P M, 1991. "Automatic Frequency Domain Inference on Semiparametric and Nonparametric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1329-63, September.
- Thursby, Jerry G & Thursby, Marie C, 1987. "Bilateral Trade Flows, the Linder Hypothesis, and Exchange Risk," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 488-95, August.
- Boero, Gianna & Marrocu, Emanuela, 2002. "The Performance of Non-linear Exchange Rate Models: A Forecasting Comparison," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(7), pages 513-42, November.
- Koop, Gary & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Potter, Simon M., 1996. "Impulse response analysis in nonlinear multivariate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 119-147, September.
- Eric van Wincoop & Philippe Bacchetta, 2000.
"Does Exchange-Rate Stability Increase Trade and Welfare?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1093-1109, December.
- Philippe BACCHETTA & Eric VAN WINCOOP, 1999. "Does Exchange Rate Stability Increase Trade and Welfare ?," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9917, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Peter B. Clark, 1973. "Uncertainty, Exchange Risk, And The Level Of International Trade," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 11(3), pages 302-313, 09.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1990. "Modelling the Coherence in Short-run Nominal Exchange Rates: A Multivariate Generalized ARCH Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 498-505, August.
- Sercu, Piet & Vanhulle, Cynthia, 1992. "Exchange rate volatility, international trade, and the value of exporting firms," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 155-182, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jimfin:v:37:y:2013:i:c:p:282-305. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.